Apple job posting points to video iPod | iLounge News

Apple job posting points to video iPod

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Friday, December 19, 2003
News Categories: iPod

The following job posting has just appeared on Apple.com:

“Seeking a highly motivated engineer to develop next generation iPod product. Must have experience in overall system design of audio and video products.”

Just as an Apple job posting in early 2003 for a developer of iTunes for Windows was a clear confirmation of that product’s arrival (which came six months later), this posting seems to demonstrate very clearly that the iPod is heading toward video.

« iTunes 4.2 and new ‘Grouping’ feature

PCWorld: iTunes is “the greatest, coolest, most insanely frustrating media player” »

Comments

forgot to say, i cant imagine them brgining out a vpod without them dramamtically improving battery technology, which as i sed is always happening. they will also do this to compete, as itll be a latter product it WILL exceed what dell etc offer now. peace

Posted by silver_haze20 on December 19, 2003 at 2:42 PM (PDT)

Concerning battery life for a “video iPod,” I’ve read two accounts that Apple is reasearching and hoping to use OLED technology for the next generation of iPod screens.  OLEDs take up less space and consume a lot less battery life (they are a “luminous screen that has no backlight” according to the article below).  If this technology is implimented in G4 iPods, then it could potentially circumvent the loss of battery life caused by having a color screen.  Finally, Many other companies are currently looking into this technology (Kodak, Sony, etc.) for use in their digital products.

A CNN.com article about OLEDs:

Posted by Zim on December 19, 2003 at 2:44 PM (PDT)

I’m with Jim on this one - I’m thinking about getting an iPod this Christmas but if they’re coming with new ones soon…tempting to get it now.

I remember seeing an artist’s rendition of an a/v iPod and I thought the design was awesome. Wasn’t it featured on ipodlounge?

Posted by Andrew on December 19, 2003 at 2:49 PM (PDT)

Not really interested in a video iPod, but would like to see the “digital wallet” stuff pulled into the iPod 100% and have a color screen to see digital photos.

Posted by wolfpacker on December 19, 2003 at 3:10 PM (PDT)

can’t we all just get along?

Posted by barry on December 19, 2003 at 3:36 PM (PDT)

Screw video I want Newton 2004.

Posted by kainjow on December 19, 2003 at 4:02 PM (PDT)

Oh come on I can’t even say s-c-r-e-w?

Posted by kainjow on December 19, 2003 at 4:02 PM (PDT)

If they’re charging so much for the ipod now…imagine how much they would charge if it played video?  I agree… I have no desire for a video player.  Honestly, what would anyone need it for?

Posted by styles on December 19, 2003 at 4:05 PM (PDT)

I ride a train to work every day (2 hours total) 5 days a week. If there was a “vpod” device that would allow me to download TV shows from say a Tivo to the pod to watch while I’m on the train, well that would be great. Killing two birds with one stone. If anyone could pull this off it would be Apple (of course after a few revisions, and stumbles…!)

Posted by Me on December 19, 2003 at 4:31 PM (PDT)

i hope the next gen would have fm and am radio and fm tuner. i would like to listen to radio. btw i would love to watch video on my ipod.

Posted by Voinsm on December 19, 2003 at 4:38 PM (PDT)

I’m pleasantly suprised to see none of those troll comments advertising the Archos or the RCA lyra video players.

Posted by Sraphim on December 19, 2003 at 4:50 PM (PDT)

“iSee” is a trademark owned by Roxio.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on December 19, 2003 at 5:59 PM (PDT)

> I ride a train to work every day (2 hours total) 5 days a week. If there was a “vpod” device that would allow me to download TV shows from say a Tivo to the pod to watch while I’m on the train, well that would be great.

I already have this working, and with video as well. I use J River’s Media Center and the rather bulky ArchosAV.

I use Media Center’s Scheduler (a TIVO-like software device) to record audio and video streams from the cable, FM/AM/SW, and XM.

With the Media Server, I can download or stream my selected media from any Internet location. So when I go travelling in Asia I can use the Internet to watch whatever shows Media Center has recorded. They stay on the hard disk in my home in DC but my Media Center client can stream them to any internet-connected PC.

But if I am local to my PC, I do a morning sync with my ArchosAV (upgraded to 80GB). Any stuff I want to demo or present I either pipe directly into a projector or VCR, or sync back onto PCs. During the day, I resync with Media Scheduler using the Internet to bring the ArchosAV up to date with the recorded audio streams.

Then I have all the media I might want to monitor during the day (I work in politics, it’s a godsend!). While the Archos can hold several hundred hours, I usually only get to scan a few hours a day - some I keep, most I delete.

I get to sit on a plane or train and just tune in and watch the videos. The only thing I am worried about on public transit sometimes is getting mugged and the unit stolen.

One last benefit I value is Media Center’s ability to record and transcode between formats. So I can take video, extract the audio, and re-encode it as Ogg or low-bitrate MP3. And so on. Nothing comes close to Media Center for unifying my media needs.

i look forward to a 4g vidPod - then I could get rid of both the Archos and the iPod and have more pocket space!

Posted by Gandalf on December 19, 2003 at 7:31 PM (PDT)

I’m getting a 10GB ipod for christmas. and i’m wondering if i can trade in my ipod for the new one when it comes out. Like if it has more battery like or any other spec’s added on to it. My dad ordered it from apple and i’m wondering if i can trade it back in.

Posted by BigByrd15 on December 19, 2003 at 8:30 PM (PDT)

well i dont a see a reason for the vid ipod. who watches movie on a 2.5i screen. how long can the batt last? will it be of the same size? i rather the ipod stay as an audio device. the current 3th gen has got issues to be sort out like the batt life, the 2 sec pause between tracks, the firmware problems & many. if apple were to come out with another one. it’s just not getting things done b4 they move on. if they can’t solve the problems now, what makes you think that they can come out with a new product w/o problems. apple’s 1st batch of any new machine are all bugged with problems. from the os x 10.3 to the g5 to the 15’ aluminiums. my advice: wait for a stable revision of apple products, DON’T Rush!

Posted by jm on December 20, 2003 at 6:54 AM (PDT)

Sraphim - You may have spoken too soon.  Gandalf sounds awfully troll-ly to me…

Posted by me on December 20, 2003 at 8:40 AM (PDT)

Whatever about the Archos guy being a “troll” or not. I’ve actually played with the Archos he describes in Best Buy. It’s got a nice screen but despite its high price ($550) it manages to be both too heavy and cheap looking.

Archos may be an innovative company that gets these products out before everyone else but their followup is terrible. They rarely do more than one revision of any product, never update their firmware or OS and never improve the product’s design. Unlike Apple.

So I don’t think that this Archos is a serious threat to any forthcoming video iPod. If anything we will see a repeat of the original iPod where Apple released a year after everyone else and still managed to make their product epnymous.

No, the company I fear could give Apple a run for their money in both design and follow-thru is Sony. Their current video player getting good reviews, and they have that whole line of vertically integrated Vaio video PCs with which to integrate it. They dropped the ball with the Walkman/iPod, that’s for sure, but they rarely make the same mistake twice…

Posted by Cherubim on December 20, 2003 at 9:58 AM (PDT)

all i have to say: w00t

Posted by Billy Sardar on December 20, 2003 at 2:10 PM (PDT)

as much as you are all reluctant to buy a 3g ipod or get one for christmas i think that the 4g is a long way away.  if you actually read the page it said they are looking for an engineer for the project.  they don’t have the staff yet and haven’t done the development yet.  Is it possible the ipod 4g could have a clamshell design for bigger screen?  Hope they keep the touch sensative buttons….

Posted by Chris on December 20, 2003 at 8:16 PM (PDT)

I just bought a 20gig ipod and am wondering the same thing…will there be a new ipod at the expo. I heard rumors that they were going to bring out a 60gig ipod at the expo becasue I think Creative have a 60gig mp3 model and apple will need to continue to compete and remain number #1.

all I am worried about is Jobs, lifting the black cloth and there is this whole new ipod which has replacable batterys etc etc…..thoughts?

Posted by Phil on December 21, 2003 at 1:24 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >