Apple kicks off countdown to half a billion songs | iLounge News

Apple kicks off countdown to half a billion songs

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, July 5, 2005
News Categories: iTunes

Apple today announced its countdown to half a billion songs sold on the iTunes Music Store.

To celebrate, the company is giving away an iPod mini and an a 50-song iTunes gift card to the iTunes customer who purchases the winning song at each 100,000 interval. The person who downloads the 500 millionth song will win 10 iPods of their choice, an iTunes gift card for 10,000 songs and an all-expenses paid trip for four to see Coldplay on their world tour.

Apple has posted a live song counter online to help users “participate in the race to purchase and download the 500 millionth song.”

“As we prepare to cross this major milestone of half a billion songs, we want to thank our customers, the artists and the music labels who have helped make iTunes a global success,” said Eddy Cue, Apple’s vice president of applications. “iTunes continues to be the world’s number one online music store featuring the world’s best digital music including special performances such as the Live 8 concerts.”

« Tunewear intros Tuneclip cable winder

Mix: Wood iPod, iPod flea, Big media, RSS backlash »

Comments

Now if only there was an iTMS in Australia, I might be able to win one of those prizes…. but no. That’s apparently too difficult.

Posted by Nick on July 5, 2005 at 7:25 AM (PDT)

where is the live song counter?

Posted by Larouche in Montreal, QC on July 5, 2005 at 7:40 AM (PDT)

Larouche:  On Apple’s site, in the link in the article.

Good lord it’s moving fast.  I had no idea it moved that fast…

Posted by Cameron Talley on July 5, 2005 at 7:49 AM (PDT)

ah! ok, stupid me. i thought it was in iTunes. thanks!! and you’re right, it crazy fast…

Posted by Larouche in Montreal, QC on July 5, 2005 at 8:16 AM (PDT)

Wow, 500 million songs!  Cool pprizes, too, but who could possible find a use for 10 iPods?  Why not a nice shiny PowerBook like they gave away before?  I guess having 10 brand new iPods wouldn’t exactly be a bad thing though…. and the rest of the grand prize is awesome as well.

Posted by Greg on July 5, 2005 at 8:22 AM (PDT)

Greg:  ebay.  ebay. ebay! smile

Posted by Cameron Talley on July 5, 2005 at 9:33 AM (PDT)

I wonder how accurate the counter is. or if it is just the counting the average.

Posted by craiger in IL on July 5, 2005 at 9:45 AM (PDT)

or they might make a good christmas gift or b-day gift

Posted by BIGP in Texas on July 5, 2005 at 10:11 AM (PDT)

I’d rather have the option for a cash payout than 10 iPods… I already own TWO full sized iPods, lol!

Sure, you can sell them on eBay but it’s a hassle, fees invovled, shipping the iPods, possible problems with buyers or non-paying buyers, etc… Just give me the money off the bat and I’d be happy. smile

Posted by FallN in New York, NY on July 5, 2005 at 11:15 AM (PDT)

HUGE PRIZES!!!!

And equally huge taxes.  From the rules, “Taxes. All taxes associated with the receipt or use of the prizes are the sole responsibility of each winner.”
For the grand prize (estimated value at $15358-18358 and a tax rate of 6%) that would be $923.10-$1103.10.

Sort of like Oprah’s car giveaway where the people had to sell the car to pay the taxes.

A $10,000 or $15,000 prize would be so much nicer.

Posted by Sts10188 on July 5, 2005 at 12:15 PM (PDT)

About the live counter: Does anyone know more about it? I think its impossible for a new song to be bought every millesecond :|

Posted by John on July 5, 2005 at 2:06 PM (PDT)

I thought that at first but I believe the counter is accurate. a lot of people buy whole albums and imixes, too, which would really speed things up.

and yeah 10 iPods is basically overkill and the taxes on that is ridiculous. but I think everyone who wins a prize has the option of recieving the cash value instead of the actual item. I’m going to check up on that.

Posted by jmaurand on July 5, 2005 at 3:00 PM (PDT)

eh i guess not. it says “no subsitutions (including cash) in the fine print. I guess I’ll get 10 60gbs and then sell a few on ebay when I win the grand prize.

Posted by jmaurand on July 5, 2005 at 3:38 PM (PDT)

If you buy a CD will you get the number of downloads in the CD or only 1 “credit” when you purchase the CD?

Posted by buffalo on July 5, 2005 at 3:50 PM (PDT)

buffalo: I’m not sure, but If you buy all the songs on the album separately it might increase your chances raspberry

Posted by johnnyb on July 5, 2005 at 5:22 PM (PDT)

I don’t know if Larry wants to post this in another news article, but Version Tracker now has the link to download a software estimating the sales.
Here’s the link just in case

Posted by johnnyb on July 5, 2005 at 5:56 PM (PDT)

I think the counter might be accurate. I watched it approach 480,300,000 and the rate at which it increased was incredible!!! It then slowed down afterwards.
I can just picture thousands of people with their pointer poised over ‘Buy’ ready to purchase. (But you don’t have to purchase a song…anyone else figured that out yet??)

Posted by jamesd in Australia on July 5, 2005 at 6:50 PM (PDT)

Yes! I read the complete rules before starting on the waiting spree. Hopefully not too many people noticed raspberry

Posted by johnnyb on July 5, 2005 at 7:30 PM (PDT)

noticed? noticed what??

Posted by craiger in IL on July 5, 2005 at 9:19 PM (PDT)

how do you download it without purchasing it?

Posted by Harrison in Melbourne, Australia on July 5, 2005 at 11:40 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >