Apple launches 10 Billion App Countdown | iLounge News

Apple launches 10 Billion App Countdown

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, January 14, 2011
News Categories: Apple, Apps + Games, iTunes

Apple has launched a new 10 Billion App Countdown promotion to celebrate the downloading of the ten billionth app from the App Store. “As of today, nearly 10 billion apps have been downloaded from the App Store worldwide,” reads the promotion’s web page. “Which is almost as amazing as the apps themselves. So we want to say thanks. Download the 10 billionth app, and you could win a US $10,000 iTunes Gift Card. Just visit the App Store, and download what could be your best app yet.” Customers are limited to 25 entries per day, and Apple is providing a free entry form for those who would like to enter without making a purchase or performing a download. The promotion will end after the download of the 10 billionth app; for more information, see Apple’s official rules.

« Verizon CEO: Carrier ‘never in the running’ for original iPhone

Apple, News Corp delay The Daily’s debut »

Comments

a $10,000 iTunes gift card? What a useless prize. I think that would just make me mad, thinking about all the useful things I could be doing with that money, rather than getting free songs, movies and apps for the next 30 years.

I bet you can’t even break it up and give it to other people, they probably just add $10k right to your account.

Why not make it a $10,000 Apple Gift Card. Something people might actually use.

Posted by ort on January 14, 2011 at 9:06 AM (PDT)

And I’m pretty sure you’d probably have to report that to the IRS and pay several thousand dollars in taxes on it.

Yes? No? Any tax experts in the house?

Posted by ort on January 14, 2011 at 9:13 AM (PDT)

I wouldn’t go so far as to say this is a useless prize. Knowing that I will most likely never pay for another song, movie or app would be a welcome thing in my house. Now, would I prefer an Apple Gift Card…heck yes. That would keep me in new gear for several cycles. But again, I would not balk at $10,000 in iTunes money for just downloading an app I would have probably downloaded anyway. Something for nothing is seldom useless.

Now on the tax side, I have no idea. My limited knowledge of “prize taxes” would lend me to believe that some tax would be owed. This is essentially $10,000 spendable cash. It is just extremely limited on where you can spend it.

Posted by Mitch on January 14, 2011 at 11:48 AM (PDT)

Hey “ort”, then don’t enter.  And give it to me if you do and win.
What kind of childish rant is this?

Posted by sb on January 14, 2011 at 12:03 PM (PDT)

It’s not childish. It’s a terrible prize.

5 minutes of poking around on the internet leads me to believe that if you won this $10,000 gift card, you would owe roughly $3,000 to $4,000 in taxes to the IRS.

Would you pay $3,000 for $10,000 worth of iTunes content?

How many years would that take to pay for itself?

Posted by ort on January 14, 2011 at 12:34 PM (PDT)

Last time I checked, it was closing in on 223 million shy of 10 billion. Looks as though the number is increasing at about 1,000 every four seconds, or 15,000 a minute, 900,000 an hour or 21.6 million a day. If it continues at 15,000 a minute, it will be more than 10 days before hitting 10 billion.

Posted by Allan on January 14, 2011 at 6:40 PM (PDT)

I remember that they had another contest like this but don’t remember what number it was…...

Posted by Josh C. on January 14, 2011 at 7:04 PM (PDT)

Apple is offering a $10,000 iTunes GIFT card. It’s a gift, nobody pays tax on anything _given_ to them.

Posted by Michael W on January 14, 2011 at 7:32 PM (PDT)

@8:

Ummmmm incorrect, sir.

Posted by Clint on January 15, 2011 at 7:58 AM (PDT)