Apple launches 16GB iPhone, 32GB iPod touch [updated] | iLounge News

Apple launches 16GB iPhone, 32GB iPod touch [updated]

Apple today announced the release of two new iPhone and iPod touch models, each with double the storage capacity of the previous top-end models. The iPhone now comes in a new 16GB model for $499 (£329 UK), which will be sold alongside the $399 8GB model. Similarly, the iPod touch is now available in a 32GB model for $499 (£329 UK), joining the 16GB model for $399 and the 8GB model for $299. “For some users, there’s never enough memory,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s vice president of Worldwide iPod and iPhone Product Marketing. “Now people can enjoy even more of their music, photos and videos on the most revolutionary mobile phone and best Wi-Fi mobile device in the world.” Both the 16GB iPhone and the 32GB iPod touch are available now.

Update: Our friends at iFun.de report that the 32GB iPod touch is available in Germany for 459€, while the 16GB iPhone will sell for about 499€.

« Gameloft releases Naval Battle, Chess & Backgammon iPod games

Grace Digital unveils iPod tube amplifier »

Comments

That’s better, but I still won’t consider anything under 60 GB, and it doesn’t solve the fundamental problem that I can’t operate the Touch and keep my eyes on the road while driving.  I do most of my listening in the car, and often on Random (which in my case means a lot of “next song…next song…next song”), so that’s a deal-breaker for me.

Posted by celtic_elk on February 5, 2008 at 9:37 AM (CST)

thank god!!! finally an ipod with enough space, now all i have to do is wait for it to be less damn expensive… i thought the 399$ price tag was always going to be the top price for the Touch.

Posted by erwin_mayer on February 5, 2008 at 9:41 AM (CST)

and when will we get music streaming to the airport express? that’s a must!!

Posted by erwin_mayer on February 5, 2008 at 9:43 AM (CST)

Anything less than 160Gb is no good.  I need to store more than 12,000 songs of my collection…

Posted by Raymond Suen on February 5, 2008 at 10:05 AM (CST)

Woohoo… 32GB is the sweet spot.  Now I need to start hocking some crap on ebay!  anybody want to buy a 16GB iPod Touch?

Posted by Robert Cepek on February 5, 2008 at 10:06 AM (CST)

Sweet!  I’m an iPhone owner, but 32 GB for the iPod Touch is almost enough to make me want a Touch just becuz.

The 16 GB iPhone is also tempting, but I really can’t justify replacing my 8 GB iPhone just yet and I know I’ll want the 3G version when it comes out, so I’ll wait on that.

But no matter how you slice it, this is good news for Touch\iPhone fans.

Posted by Dyvim on February 5, 2008 at 10:12 AM (CST)

If they could’ve brought in the higher-capacity models at the same price as the current ones, and dropped the prices on those by $100, now that would’ve been something!

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on February 5, 2008 at 10:28 AM (CST)

Only 16/32 gigs respectively.

I need at least 1TB minimum. I have over one bazillion songs that I need to carry with me all the time. What is wrong with Apple? When will they finally give people what they want.

Also, the MacBook Air is still to thick and heavy.

Posted by Don Trammell on February 5, 2008 at 10:39 AM (CST)

1TB?  I need 1 Quadtrillionduplicatetoomanysongs byte of storage.  I MUST have all of my media on me at all times.  You never know when you will want to hear Kenny G.

Posted by Bob on February 5, 2008 at 10:43 AM (CST)

Ha. Only 1 Quadtrillionduplicatetoomanysongs byte of storage.

You think way toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo small my friend. Give me Library of Congress size storage and then I might consider it, but only if it comes in the size of a Shuffle. The current iPods are simply too large.

Posted by Fred on February 5, 2008 at 10:50 AM (CST)

Will the iPhone ever be offered through other wireless phone carriers in the US? Will I ever stop obsessing over this gadget, seeing that Apple is not giving the people what they want? 80GB or 16GB iPod touch is around where I want it to be. Maybe then, the cost of the highest capacity device can be justified.

Posted by Eric on February 5, 2008 at 10:56 AM (CST)

FINALLY, I have been waiting on a 30 gig touch to replace my old ipod!  $499.00 seems really steep though…time to cash in some rewards points from the American Express.

Posted by ArtVandelay on February 5, 2008 at 11:14 AM (CST)

DonBobFred: Ha ha.  Look, the whole point of my *having* an MP3 player in the first place was to be able to carry my *entire* collection with me - I have wide-ranging tastes, and like to be able to pull up appropriate music for whatever mood I’m in.  So if the question is “will this increase in storage make you consider a Touch?” then my answer is “no.”  If you’ve got a smaller collection, or are satisfied with only carrying around a subset of your large collection, then good for you.  It doesn’t work for me.

Posted by celtic_elk on February 5, 2008 at 11:42 AM (CST)

Far too often, the comment threads at iLounge depress me with their whining, complaining, and idiotic conspiracy theories. But this one not only made me smile (residual effect of the bumped capacities?), but I laughed out loud.

And extra points to celtic_elk for being a good sport about it.  :-)

Remember Rule #1: Not every product is for everyone. Celtic_elk is just pointing out that the iPod Touch is still not the product for him.

Posted by BJ Nemeth on February 5, 2008 at 11:52 AM (CST)

...for the record (I’m looking at YOU, Robert Cepek!), I’m in the market to buy someone’s used iPod Touch.  So if you wanna upgrade, shoot me an e-mail!

Posted by AngerBoy on February 5, 2008 at 12:34 PM (CST)

@celtic_elk & BJ Nemeth,

It’s all good guys and I will bet you a fat man to a donut (my friend used to say this and I did not understand it then nor now), that Apple will release even larger capacity devices within the next 3 months. Don’t forget, Apple bought up most of the Flash Nand memory a few months ago. They ain’t gonna sleep on it for sure.

For the record as well (AngerBoy you are invited as well), I have an iPhone (TurboSIm’d free for any operator) and a 16 gig iPod Touch that might be looking for a new home. The iPhone is contingent upon The Dev Team and their hacking prowess. :)

Posted by Don Trammell on February 5, 2008 at 1:16 PM (CST)

This news could’ve agitated me, the fanatical (and some would argue, fanatically stupid) early adopter. I have loved my iPhone since shortly after 6 p.m. on 6/29/07, knowing full well that its obsolescence would be imminent.

And I see the headline today about a new iPhone, and my shoulders slump a little. “Here it is,” I think, “the moment that my iPhone’s wrinkles begin to appear.”

Relief! It’s only a 16 GB! Sure, I’d like to have three or four more movies and a couple hundred more songs on this thing, but the functionality is all the same, and I’ve still got a 5.5-gen 80 GB iPod to do my “heavy lifting,” so to speak.

As Mr. Nemeth goes, so go I, and we both smile and cast private aspersions upon those who expected the next iPhone to use solar panels and yield microbrewed beer from its audio jack.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on February 5, 2008 at 1:38 PM (CST)

What about adding external volume controls to the touch like on the phone?!?!?!? And bluetooth 2 like the samsung yp p2?!?!? Thats a deal breaker for me

Posted by Jeff on February 5, 2008 at 1:55 PM (CST)

beer?

flippy…you’re great, man.

Posted by OnlyShawn on February 5, 2008 at 2:03 PM (CST)

Very good news! But where’s the 16GB nano?

Posted by tom.b on February 5, 2008 at 2:08 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >