Apple launches 16GB iPhone, 32GB iPod touch [updated] | iLounge News

Apple launches 16GB iPhone, 32GB iPod touch [updated]

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, February 5, 2008
News Categories: iPhone

Apple today announced the release of two new iPhone and iPod touch models, each with double the storage capacity of the previous top-end models. The iPhone now comes in a new 16GB model for $499 (£329 UK), which will be sold alongside the $399 8GB model. Similarly, the iPod touch is now available in a 32GB model for $499 (£329 UK), joining the 16GB model for $399 and the 8GB model for $299. “For some users, there’s never enough memory,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s vice president of Worldwide iPod and iPhone Product Marketing. “Now people can enjoy even more of their music, photos and videos on the most revolutionary mobile phone and best Wi-Fi mobile device in the world.” Both the 16GB iPhone and the 32GB iPod touch are available now.

Update: Our friends at iFun.de report that the 32GB iPod touch is available in Germany for 459€, while the 16GB iPhone will sell for about 499€.

« Gameloft releases Naval Battle, Chess & Backgammon iPod games

Grace Digital unveils iPod tube amplifier »

Comments

sh** now I gotta find someone to buy my 16GB iPod Touch

Posted by Toleran on February 5, 2008 at 12:40 PM (PDT)

yea, waiting for a 16gb nano too. The iPod touch is just too big and heavy and can’t be operated blindly…

Posted by tom on February 5, 2008 at 12:49 PM (PDT)

1st off - i hope you current iphone users don’t cry again and demand a credit. that was 100% bs and u never deserved it - it is technology.

2nd of all this is a rip off.  With memory prices falling - to charge 100$ is not right.

Just add a microSD slot APPLE!

Posted by gabe on February 5, 2008 at 1:30 PM (PDT)

Why can’t they use a harddrive and reduce the price?  32gb is still peanuts if you want to have a few movies handy while traveling.  The Classic line should be retired at this point.

Posted by zzfaithlezz on February 5, 2008 at 2:55 PM (PDT)

No, It is not the size and storage combo that will win me over because I still cannot buy one in Canada.

For the love of God.

Posted by Clinton on February 5, 2008 at 3:10 PM (PDT)

zzfaithlezz: I strongly disagree.  Questions of storage capacity aside, my usual use of an iPod is while driving.  If I can’t skip ahead to the next song without having to take my eyes off the road, I’m looking for another player.  Period.  Ditto, I’m guessing, for people who use their iPods while exercising (*some* of those folks are using full-size iPods, judging from the availability of sport cases and armbands).  Yes, the touch interface is revolutionary and cool - but it doesn’t meet everyone’s needs.

Posted by celtic_elk on February 5, 2008 at 3:19 PM (PDT)

celtic_elk: does this mean you don’t need the touch feature?  or do you want both touchscreen AND buttons?

in any case, $500 for an mp3 player is friggin outrageous.

Posted by zzfaithlezz on February 5, 2008 at 4:07 PM (PDT)

oh, yeah, i have half a grand to spend on… oh, no, wait. I DON’T.

ridiculous price tag.

i’ll keep my 5G ipod for now. no reason to trade up with stupid prices like that.

Posted by curtis on February 5, 2008 at 4:11 PM (PDT)

To whoever said 32GB is ‘peanuts’ if you want to have a few movies with you - how on earth are you encoding your movies?

If a full-length movie stored on your iPod is over 1GB in size, you’re doing something wrong.  Only reason to have it bigger than that is if you’re going to display it on a TV.

Frankly even 750MB is big for a full-length movie.

Plenty of room on any of the touch models for lots of music movies and pics.  Sure they won’t hold EVERYTHING you have, but chances are neither will an 80GB model.

Posted by tintin on February 5, 2008 at 5:46 PM (PDT)

And here I am just days away from returning my 8GB iPod touch in favor of a 16GB model… I might just wait a bit and grab the 32GB instead.  THANK YOU APPLE!!!

Posted by Wilder_K_Wight on February 5, 2008 at 6:05 PM (PDT)

i think us owners of a 8gb iphone we should wait to september i bet, its going to be a new size by that date i mean maybe 32gb iphone? im going to wait to update, by the way im using a jailbroken iphone, also the ipod touch doesn’t seem like enough for me for trading my 160 gb classic i pass on this update

Posted by alex on February 5, 2008 at 6:23 PM (PDT)

Long live the iPod Classic- This upgrade is cool and all-but I need memry memory memomooorrrryyy.
I listen to podcasts,music,movies,audiobooks,I don’t play games yet but I will,and I use ipods as portable hard drives.I can’t afford an iPod classic right now-but I’m going to get one. iphone & touch are sleek and cool and all that. But the iPod classis is the “jack of all trades” in the ipod cllection with the memory to match. That’s my favorite!

Posted by Hatman on February 5, 2008 at 7:11 PM (PDT)

you couldn’t say better hatman long live ipod classic, i hope still it will be a long road for him

Posted by alex on February 5, 2008 at 8:02 PM (PDT)

@Don Trammell:
Awesome.  Let’s make a deal!

Posted by AngerBoy in Dallas, Texas on February 5, 2008 at 8:32 PM (PDT)

Great upgrade. If you read it like a prediction, it’s obvious that this iPod Season’s (September) touch will definitely max out at 32Gb and if progress like this continues, perhaps the high end will reach 64Gb.

People complaining about the price: please stop. You do realise that flash memory is currently expensive, don’t you? That’s why you’ve still got the Classic option.

Posted by Japester on February 5, 2008 at 10:14 PM (PDT)

People need to stop whining about capacities - the touch will always be a flash memory device, and it will be a while before capacities get anywhere near hard drives, at least at a decent price.
I want a touch, but I’m willing to wait until capacities get larger, in the meantime, my classic does just fine!

Posted by Garfield on February 5, 2008 at 11:09 PM (PDT)

I wish I had more memory than my 8GB iPhone, but 16 isn’t enough to make me go through the hassle.  It would probably be cheaper to buy a refurb 5.5g iPod. (sigh)  I guess I’ll have to wait for September.

Posted by Chrystopher on February 6, 2008 at 9:14 AM (PDT)

Hell…I’m still on a 60gb ipod photo (4th gen).

And I agree…the touch will NEVER be hard drive based.  A hard drive spins which eats up more battery.

Look at the size of the screen….that is whats eating the battery now…to have both…you would be able to watch about an hour of a movie.

Posted by Jeff on February 6, 2008 at 11:05 AM (PDT)

Somebody mentioned that the iPod Touch doesn’t have volume buttons on the side. Is that true? If so, that’s a travesty ... I use them all the time on my iPhone.

Actually, I’d also love physical fast-forward and rewind buttons done in a similar style (along the side of the device). If I’m watching a movie, it’s not very easy to rewind 10-15 seconds or so with the touch screen if I missed a line of dialogue—it either skips to the beginning of the video or chapter, or rewinds far too much. And when I’m listening to my music in shuffle mode, I tend to skip songs fairly often, and it sucks to have to turn on the iPhone, slide the unlock, and *then* skip a song.

If the volume buttons are on the top left, I’d love to see fast-forward and rewind buttons on the top right. For both the iPhone and the iPod Touch.

I have an 8 GB iPhone, and while I would love to upgrade to 16 GB, I am going to wait for a more substantial hardware change before upgrading—something like 32 GB or 3G wireless.

On the other hand, if I’m “stuck” using this first-generation iPhone for the next two years, I will still be a very, very happy cellphone user.  grin

(Especially once the SDK is released. I can’t wait to see what Apple’s awesome third-party developers come up with!)

Posted by BJ Nemeth on February 6, 2008 at 11:21 AM (PDT)

You guys in the US are lucky £329 is $645 so we are getting shafted on it.  Hopefully one day Apple will bring the UK price in line.

Posted by james on February 6, 2008 at 11:56 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >