Apple launches 16GB iPhone, 32GB iPod touch [updated] | iLounge News

Apple launches 16GB iPhone, 32GB iPod touch [updated]

Apple today announced the release of two new iPhone and iPod touch models, each with double the storage capacity of the previous top-end models. The iPhone now comes in a new 16GB model for $499 (£329 UK), which will be sold alongside the $399 8GB model. Similarly, the iPod touch is now available in a 32GB model for $499 (£329 UK), joining the 16GB model for $399 and the 8GB model for $299. “For some users, there’s never enough memory,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s vice president of Worldwide iPod and iPhone Product Marketing. “Now people can enjoy even more of their music, photos and videos on the most revolutionary mobile phone and best Wi-Fi mobile device in the world.” Both the 16GB iPhone and the 32GB iPod touch are available now.

Update: Our friends at iFun.de report that the 32GB iPod touch is available in Germany for 459€, while the 16GB iPhone will sell for about 499€.

« Gameloft releases Naval Battle, Chess & Backgammon iPod games

Grace Digital unveils iPod tube amplifier »

Comments

32 GB iTouch is exactly what I was waiting for. The $500 price tag: not so much. The waiting continues until the prices drop, as they eventually will.

Posted by bookcase on February 6, 2008 at 4:18 PM (CST)

Quite simply, yes, that will do it.

I went out and purchased one today. Man, am I ever blown away. I’ve been a 40 GB third gen iPod owner for five years now, and I can tell you this: 16 GB is plenty.

Posted by Eric Gruber on February 7, 2008 at 1:20 AM (CST)

I have a 16 and a 60GB 5g, both excellent. Unfortunately th $499 is more than I am willing to pay right now.  I will be waiting on the next big thing for the touch.

Posted by Greg on February 7, 2008 at 8:03 AM (CST)

BJ: adding buttons like this to the Touch would go a *long* way towards overcoming my objection to using one.  Good suggestion.

zzfaithlezz: I agree - $500 is too much for an MP3 player.  It seems a pretty good price point for a portable Internet device, though, and that’s how I view the Touch.  I have no burning need for a portable Internet device, but if I could get a satisfactory MP3 player that *also* had the Touch’s Internet capabilities for around $500, I’d probably pay the premium to have those features available.

Posted by celtic_elk on February 7, 2008 at 10:27 AM (CST)

hey guys!
I’d be willing to buy an iPod touch 16gig. it’s enough for me. I only have 10 gigs of music and I only want to put some selected movies/tv shows on. so i’d be fine with 16 gigs. but I want to wait until the SDK comes out. And my birthday is in june… so it’ll be a while.who knows, maybe the price is falling by that time :)

Posted by aonym on February 8, 2008 at 11:25 PM (CST)

I love the way people think it is ok to insult anyone who doesn’t agree with them.  If a smaller capacity works for you, that’s fine! That does not invalidate the preference of the person who wants to have a large choice of music with him at all times.

I have an iPod touch 16 gig (which is full) and an iPod classic 160 (which is not quite full) that I carry with me at all times.  I also have an Archos 605 (160 gigs) which I use solely for watching videos when I travel.

Each of these gadgets has its good and bad points.  The Classic is great for music, not so good for watching videos.  The Touch is good for videos, lightweight, but the capacity ain’t so great.  The Archos has a great capacity but it’s too heavy to carry around in my purse.  Luckily, battery life is not an issue for any of this stuff, since I have a universal battery pack I bought from Gomadic.com.

My point is, everyone has their own preferences and needs, and everyone’s preferences are valid for them.  Insults say nothing about the person you’re talking to, they just prove that YOU are an insensitive idiot.

Posted by Mary Jo DiBella on February 9, 2008 at 12:25 PM (CST)

Space isn’t and has never been an issue for me. I have been used to loading new songs each day onto my Shuffle. Besides, my collection is tipping 119Gb. The real issue is price for folks living in this part of the world. After the exchange rate, an Pod Touch 8Gb is $1339. The falling US dollar is good news to us.

Posted by dream on February 12, 2008 at 8:32 AM (CST)

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3