Apple Launches AppleCare Protection Plan for iPod | iLounge News

Apple Launches AppleCare Protection Plan for iPod

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Friday, November 21, 2003
News Categories: iPod

“Every iPod comes standard with 90 days of phone support and one year of hardware service coverage. The AppleCare Protection Plan ($59) extends your service and support coverage for your iPod, its included accessories, and iTunes software for up to two years from the original purchase date of your iPod. With this plan, you get direct access to Apple experts for answers by phone2 and anytime access to web-based resources.3 If your iPod or the included accessories should need service, Apple-certified technicians will repair it or provide a replacement using genuine Apple parts.”

Key Features:

• Extends telephone support from 90 days to up to two years

• Extends hardware coverage from one year to up to two years

• Provides expert support for both Mac and Windows users

• « iRonic iPod T-shirts

Wired News: Feel Free to Jack Into My iPod »

Comments

not a bad plan, considering the battery itself will likely lose it’s juice over 2 years and the cost of that is around $60(USD).

before i get too excited, does applecare actually currently cover “battery degradation?”

Posted by evilrobot on November 21, 2003 at 7:52 AM (PDT)

is this only when we buy new ipods now?...or can we extend it on an ipod already purchased?

Posted by ibono on November 21, 2003 at 8:23 AM (PDT)

Yes it does cover the battery. You would know that if you clicked on the link and read the details on Apple’s site.

Typically you can purchase AppleCare for your Apple product anytime before your 1 year coverage is up. But after 1 year, you might be out of luck.

Posted by biff on November 21, 2003 at 8:43 AM (PDT)

I’ll stick with my $40 four year warranty I got from Best Buy.  Twice as long and two-thirds the price.

Posted by wickerbill on November 21, 2003 at 8:58 AM (PDT)

Got to admit though, 90 days is pretty naff cover in the first place. Doesn’t bode well for Apple’s expectations of their own craftsmanship.

Posted by Jay on November 21, 2003 at 10:06 AM (PDT)

yup - I also recommend the best buy warranty.  I brought back my old 20 gig for a new 3rd gen 30 gig with no questions asked.  now my 30 gig is almost full so I plan to do the same thing for a 40 giger!

Posted by free refills on November 21, 2003 at 10:58 AM (PDT)

Yeah… can’t beat the best buy 4 year 39.00 warentee. !  My 30 gig screwed up last week. I turned it on and all I got was a folder icon with an exclamation point in the middle. I reset it and it continued to go from that icon to the apple logo until the battery died. Took it into Best buy, the tech hooked it up for 2 minutes… said sorry and gave me a new 40gig Ipod with no questions asked. Gotta love that… Thank you Best Buy!!

Posted by Del Griffith on November 21, 2003 at 11:13 AM (PDT)

“Got to admit though, 90 days is pretty naff cover in the first place”

the 90 days is for phone support.  the ipod itself has service coverage for one year.

Posted by box on November 21, 2003 at 11:35 AM (PDT)

“the 90 days is for phone support. the ipod itself has service coverage for one year. “

Sorry - my misunderstanding. Thats not too shabby then wink

Posted by Jay on November 21, 2003 at 1:13 PM (PDT)

oh look, not available in Europe…

Why is this not surprising me anymore?

Posted by northernlights on November 21, 2003 at 5:44 PM (PDT)

I got a question for anyone that has had their iPod broken our repaired. The left side of my iPod is busted out. The metal half is slightly protruding from the side, as if it was stepped on or something. It functions just fine, but it bothers me a lot. Any ideas on if Apple would cover this and fix my iPod?

Posted by Ian on November 21, 2003 at 7:14 PM (PDT)

bESTBUY vs Apple

I will stick with Bestbuy…

Posted by bababooey on November 22, 2003 at 12:13 PM (PDT)

can you get a bestbuy waranty even if you didnt buy it there? cuz i got mine a week ago from circuitcity and there coverage suxs so i didnt get it

Posted by SerialKillinSam on November 22, 2003 at 5:48 PM (PDT)

this (applecare) should be standard for such a product that has so many faults and quirks for the user…......thank god hospitals don’t use macs!

Posted by john henry on November 23, 2003 at 8:18 AM (PDT)

Well, I know you can buy a warranty at CompUSA if you didn’t buy the iPod there (as long as they still list the model in their computer) - I did it. I don’t remember what it cost, but just take the iPod in with the receipt and ask to buy a TAP plan. They’re really helpful.

Aym

Posted by Aym on November 25, 2003 at 7:47 AM (PDT)