Apple launches Canadian iTunes Music Store | iLounge News

Apple launches Canadian iTunes Music Store

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, December 1, 2004
News Categories: iTunes

Apple has now opened the much-anticipated Canadian version of the iTunes Music Store. Individual songs are priced at CDN$0.99 each. As previously reported, Apple announced in October that it would launch a store in Canada before the end of November. With that deadline coming and going without an announcement, Apple stated earlier today that customers would see a Canadian store “very soon.”

Update: Apple has now officially announced the store. “The demand across Canada for the iTunes Music Store has been overwhelming,” said Eddy Cue, Apple’s vice president of applications. “We are excited to be able to offer music fans in Canada their own customized iTunes Music Store featuring many top Canadian artist exclusives.” The new store features over 700,000 songs and offers the same personal use rights as in the US and Europe.

« Mix: Rio, TiVo iPod, Portable Media Centers

Clarion to debut car audio products with iPod integration »

Comments

See everyone, all that over reaction by some for nothing smile

Enjoy the store all.

Posted by studogvetmed in Loveland, CO on December 1, 2004 at 9:00 PM (PDT)

...but it’s missing a lot of songs.

My favorite labels are conspicuously absent, guys like Sub Pop, Barsuk, and Saddle Creek.

Anyone know if this is just a temporary thing, or if Apple couldn’t snaggle out the legal junk for the littler labels?

Posted by fireteddy on December 1, 2004 at 9:06 PM (PDT)

...probably to create a hype about it?  Apple Marketing is so lame.

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on December 1, 2004 at 9:31 PM (PDT)

Cool!  Cheaper than the US store, at current exchange rates!

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on December 1, 2004 at 9:46 PM (PDT)

Sweet! Anyone know how I can change my bogus “90210” address to my real Canadian address? I can change the address fields, but it won’t let me change US to Canada…..

Posted by cferneyh on December 1, 2004 at 10:50 PM (PDT)

lol Apple’s obsession with keeping everything in 99’s means Canadians get cheaper music…all they need to do now is release the AUSTRALIAN VERSION!!!!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrr

Posted by Nuke666 in Melbourne, Austalia on December 2, 2004 at 2:35 AM (PDT)

Nuke666 and the DANISH wink

Posted by Gentleman_finn in Denmark on December 2, 2004 at 5:19 AM (PDT)

one more reason why the UK store is a rip off :(

Posted by eyez on December 2, 2004 at 5:59 AM (PDT)

I’m accessing it from Europe (I’m a (visa)card carrying Canadian). But I can only get it in French, anyone know how to change the language?

Posted by thume in Hungary on December 2, 2004 at 6:14 AM (PDT)

Figured it out, nevermind.

Posted by thume in Hungary on December 2, 2004 at 6:15 AM (PDT)

Hey! It’s not our fault your currency has so much strength! I’m an american student studying here and I’ve been able to deal with that fact that practically EVERYTHING is twice what I would pay at home. I think you can handle paying a little more for a song now and then…sheesh…if you feel that bad about it. Come to America! One giant half price sale for you. wink

Posted by powerbook17 on December 2, 2004 at 6:17 AM (PDT)

cferneyh: You can log into your account settings and Change Country, but ONLY if you have a completely flat ($0.00) balance.  If you have even a penny left over, you can’t change country stores.

Right now I still have my US account (on prepaids), even though I can zero it out completely and change over.  I’ve noticed some artists aren’t in the Canadian store, and there doesn’t seem to be any Free Downloads of the Week.  Bummer…  Guess I’ll keep a US account around on prepaids and gift certificates just in case.

Posted by Blur in Toronto, ON on December 2, 2004 at 6:52 AM (PDT)

Too bad that the store doesn’t let you decide what language you wish to see on the page.  It seems Apple arbitrarily takes your IP address and assumes what language you wish to view.

Here I am on Vancouver Island, using an IP given out by Groupe Telecom, forced to view iTMS in French…  Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

Posted by John97 in Victoria, BC on December 2, 2004 at 7:00 AM (PDT)

At you guys have a store now! Enjoy the store, I am sure more songs will be added in due time…

Now Apple, I am waiting with the widest eyes like Puss-in-boots in Shrek II, my iTMS Asia!!

Cheers

Posted by howwow in Singapore on December 2, 2004 at 10:00 AM (PDT)

I highly doubt they are gonna open iTMS in Asia. if they do, it will probably be only available in Japan, because in Korea and China, ipods are not even half as popular as flash based DAPs, although ipod mini has gradually popular in China..

remember songs downloaded from iTMS are incompatible with any DAPs other than ipod.

Posted by frankthetank on December 2, 2004 at 12:23 PM (PDT)

the selection in iTMS Canada is kind of disappointing.  For example, there are no Madonna songs. and only a few remakes, which is kinda scary.  not everyone may like her but shes old enough and popular enough that atleast a Greatest Hit collection should be on there

Posted by organicaudio in Toronto, Canada on December 2, 2004 at 4:01 PM (PDT)

John97: Are you sure?  I clicked on the Canada store from the Choose Store link in the left nav bar and got the French store, but when selecting the Canada store from the drop-down list at the bottom of the iTMS homepage I get the English version.

I personally find the selection at iTMS Canada disappointing.  Lots of artists that are in the US store are missing completely, or are partial albumed with like 1 song listed.  There doesn’t appear to be the yummy free song of the week or discovery download.  No iTunes Essentials or celebrity playlists (or at least they’re not visibly apparent).

It’s only saving grace is that it’s cheap.  As it stands though, I’m going to have to keep both a Canadian account, and a US account (running on prepaids/gift certificates).  Glad it’s here, but disappointed as to how much they’ve left out.

Posted by Blur in Toronto, ON on December 2, 2004 at 5:48 PM (PDT)

I know this is the Canadian iTunes store but you don’t have to beat us over the head with Canadian content. If i want Canadian content I will seek it out. I hope this is just part of the launch and that they will soon start featuring bands from other parts of the world.

Posted by marski on December 3, 2004 at 2:10 AM (PDT)

When the Canadian store was first announced I decided to stop buying physical albums. I amassed a backlog of 15 albums that I was planning on dowloading the day the Canadian ITMS opened. All those albums are available on the US store; only one is available in Canada.

I guess the brick and mortar music stores will still be getting my money.

(It’s not like I’m looking for obscure international music. Kid Koala, The New Deal, Broken Social Scene, The Constantines and Hot Hot Heat are all Canadian artists. Why are they available in the US but not Canada?)

Posted by Monk on December 3, 2004 at 9:24 AM (PDT)

The UK’s Office of Fair Trading (OFT) has reported Apple’s iTunes Music Store to the European Commission (EC) on the grounds that the service may infringe European trade regulations.

Posted by Demosthenes on December 3, 2004 at 11:43 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >