Apple leather iPod cases now available | iLounge News

Apple leather iPod cases now available

image

Apple’s new $99 leather iPod cases are now shipping to customers and can be found at Apple retail stores. The cases, which were announced during Apple’s special media event last month, are made from Italian leather and come in sizes to fit the iPod nano and the 30GB and 60GB fifth-generation iPods. You can check out iLounge’s review of the cases for hands-on details and photos.

« iPod propels Apple to top of BusinessWeek top 50 list

Denmark to follow France’s lead with DRM law? »

Comments

I’m sorry but that is the most rediculously priced Apple product ever. Anyone who buys this should have their head checked out.

Posted by Ericc B on March 27, 2006 at 12:51 PM (CST)

p t barnum was right….

Posted by ludite on March 27, 2006 at 1:17 PM (CST)

Oh, here we go already with your stupid comments about this case.  Look, maybe it’s *worth* $99.  Maybe it’s just that nice.  If you can’t afford it, shut up and stop complaining; you’re obviously not in the market for this.

What’s next?  “The new Porsche 911 costs over $70K!  I can’t believe how ridiculously overpriced that is.  Anyone who buys one is a complete moron.”

Posted by m.sherman on March 27, 2006 at 2:40 PM (CST)

m.sherman: Apple shill. No slipcover is worth 100 bucks.  The carefully-crafted Vaja cases are barely worth that cost.

Posted by stark23x on March 27, 2006 at 3:12 PM (CST)

What does this case actually achieve?

It doesn’t really protect the part of an ipod that needs protecting.

Too much design not enough practicality.

A high price doesn’t always mean a great product, even if it is apple.

Posted by muzcee on March 27, 2006 at 5:06 PM (CST)

doesn’t anyone realize that it’s not just a case? it has the Apple logo on it. it’s not about the quality of the case. it’s about the brand. Apple made the iPod Hi-Fi for $349. you could buy it or go somewhere else and buy a pair of way more portable speakers for like $50 (plus, the hi-fi is supposed to deliver “high quality” sound from the 128 kbps encoded music that most people have on their ipods   =P   ). its the same as buying some $300 designer sunglasses over the $15 ones at publix.

Posted by jeremy k on March 27, 2006 at 5:08 PM (CST)

“No slipcover is worth 100 bucks.”

Even if it’s covered in diamonds?  Sure, there is a level where something is actually worth a lot of money.  Have you personally handled this new leather case?  Have you used it?  No?  Well then shut up.

I’m no Apple shill; I just cannot stand it when people make value judgements with NO INFORMATION at all.  Some things are actually worth paying more for.

Posted by m.sherman on March 27, 2006 at 5:17 PM (CST)

I’m afraid you are wrong, the ipod and all its associated accessories have been mass produced in their millions and sold to millions and millions of people worldwide.
this means that they are neither exclusive or designer although the ipod is definitely a iconic symbol.
The reason people buy designer sunglasses is to be individual and not be caught wearing the same as the average joe. If I was to take 10 people in the average gym and check out what mp3 player they had I would bet that at least 8 out of 10 were an ipod.
Usually popularity and mass production drives down the price of a product but apple are trying to keep ipods exclusive by overpricing them and their accessories.
I just hope the sales drop off and they might do something about the ridiculous prices.

Having said all that I will the first there with my money for the 6th gen.

Posted by muzcee on March 27, 2006 at 5:20 PM (CST)

I’m thinking apple designed a case like this because it’ll be “universal”.  With the new widescreen touchscreen iPod just around the corner, it would make little sense for them to release a case for the out-the-door 5G iPod.  This way, the case will work for all iPods.  Will I buy one?  Of course not!

Posted by montyburnz on March 27, 2006 at 5:41 PM (CST)

m.sherman - lighten up.  we’re not saying it is worthless.  i’m judging it on the features that i see (or don’t see), like access to the port (or lack thereof).  also, lack of access to the screen or click wheel, which means that for most of us, we would need to pull our ipod out of the case to change volume or watch a video or change tracks.  if others want a fancier version of the free pouch that came with their ipod, god bless them.  i just do’t see the attraction.

Posted by ludite on March 27, 2006 at 6:52 PM (CST)

If they release a touch screen ipod they’re gonna need to make the $500 spotted owl polishing cloth.

Posted by blick2000 on March 27, 2006 at 9:07 PM (CST)

Hey sherman, what information are you talking about?  its a leather slip case with an apple logo on it costing $100.  what more is there? is there some kind of hidden feature that only you are privy to?  will it spit shine the ipod for you everytime you put it in?

If you want to spend $100 on this piece of crap, go ahead, no one could care less.  but dont tell people to shut up because they think its a piece of crap.  because guess what?  theres no diamond in it!!

Posted by Jeff on March 27, 2006 at 9:38 PM (CST)

“The new Porsche 911 costs over $70K! I can’t believe how ridiculously overpriced that is. Anyone who buys one is a complete moron.”

Now that would be a stupid comment. Of course a 911 is very expensive, but at least for that money you get a very well crafted automobile with a unique driving experience and heritage.

And yes an iPod is also quite expensive, but again it is a unique product in it’s class that to many people is worth it’s premium price, including to me.

This leather iPod case however is nothing more than a piece of leather with an apple logo embossed in it. I will refrain from commenting on where it is probably produced and under what circumstances, because I have no actual information about that, but pricing it at 3 to 4 times what other suppliers charge for a completely comparable product is rediculous and out of any proportion. I think it’s a disgrace and an insult to loyal Apple followers that like to buy original Apple product.

Posted by Ericc B on March 28, 2006 at 3:09 AM (CST)

Look M.Sherman, we are not against you at all by replying to your comments. Like you, we are also giving our honest opinion regarding the product. You may comment that we have not actually seen or feel or tested the actual product, but neither has you too. All we are trying to say is that Apple is not really a company that regularly produces cases, whether for the iPod or the MacBooks, etc so it is hard to justify that kind of pricing. You may say that since we find it expensive, then don’t even consider, let alone buy it! But may I remind you again, this column is not called ‘Comments’ for no reason at all. We are allowed to make comments and I don’t think you should flare up on what and how we comment with regards to the case. Unless… You are the actual designer of the case for Apple!

Posted by Deep3lue in Singapore on March 28, 2006 at 10:23 AM (CST)

Sherman is an apple groupie and a complete idiot. This case probably cost about $6 to $9 to make. Unless you are filthy rich, you must be an idiot to buy this thing.

Posted by ThisCaseSux on March 28, 2006 at 4:16 PM (CST)

This case is way overpiced and M. Sherman can challenge me or try to justify it not being so anytime he/she wants but that does not change the fact that it is true.

Sure there is a price you put on quality that is higher than that for items of lesser worth. For example, I own an Orbino leather iPod case for my 5G. It is handcrafted in Italy, comes with Palladium metal beltclip and trim around the clickwheel. My 5G is fully functional while in the case. Each case comes with a microfibre cloth imprinted with Orbino’s name and packed in a luxurious box.

Now, THAT is luxury and worthy of the $69 (note: NOT $100) price for a genuine Italian handcrafted leather case. The Appple case is not and never will be.

Posted by skrat on March 28, 2006 at 4:51 PM (CST)

It is overpriced, much like all designer products.

I would wager that Apple products are all designer products - just not in the traditional fashion sense.

Posted by diulei on March 28, 2006 at 6:39 PM (CST)

I guess I need my head checked because I like this case.  A lot.  I really do not understand why Apple users have to launch into such attacks every time something comes out that they either feel is over-priced or does not have everything they want, need, demand.  I remember similar type posts when iLife ‘06 came out.  Hey, if it is not the case for you, that is cool, its ok.  There are tons of cases out there for you.

Apple actually filled a void I had been trying to fill. I have been through a few cases and protective-type devices for my beloved iPod.  I finally settled on a InvisibleShield for the overall protection from wear and scratches.  BUT, I still wanted something I could but my iPod in when it was in a pocket, etc.  I wanted a nice, form fitted type pouch for it.  I had checked out some and I was not very happy. When these cases came out I was very interested and after getting one I can say I am very happy! When in the office or home or in the car, I do not want to keep my iPod in a case - I like seeing it, but I did want something when I was out.  With the ribbon removal it is not that hard to pull it out and slide it back in.  Additionally, I love the perfect form fit it gives that no other case I have tested or used has been able to match.  I do find the complaint of the volume changing when putting it in the case kind silly.  Use the hold switch it is right there.

Is the price right?? Well I am very happy with it, I already wasted more than the cost in testing out other cases, had this one come out first it would have saved me money.

Anyway, I like it.

Posted by ER on March 28, 2006 at 10:12 PM (CST)

the volume complaint is for not being able to change the volume while in the pouch, not for the volume changing while putting it in the case. since you must already know, is it much better, or different, than the case that is provided by apple?

Posted by cory on March 28, 2006 at 11:07 PM (CST)

I also like this case.  It is extremely expensive and probably not going to sell as much as Apple would like.  For what I am looking for it is perfect.  I want a case that is protective from falls and scratches, elegant and something that is equally as sexy as the iPod.  Nothing sayes that like a plain soft black Italian leather case.  It is simple and sophisticated, a rip off, but beautiful.

Posted by Thomas Fatica on March 29, 2006 at 12:14 AM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >