Apple leather iPod cases now available | iLounge News

Apple leather iPod cases now available

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, March 27, 2006
News Categories: iPod Accessories

image

Apple’s new $99 leather iPod cases are now shipping to customers and can be found at Apple retail stores. The cases, which were announced during Apple’s special media event last month, are made from Italian leather and come in sizes to fit the iPod nano and the 30GB and 60GB fifth-generation iPods. You can check out iLounge’s review of the cases for hands-on details and photos.

« iPod propels Apple to top of BusinessWeek top 50 list

Denmark to follow France’s lead with DRM law? »

Comments

What’s so special about this case? What a waste of product space. And what the hell is M. Sherman talking? Why would you compare this to a Porsche 911?

Posted by Jhego on March 28, 2006 at 11:28 PM (PDT)

The case seems very nice, but to agree with previous statments, I think it is grosly overpriced. Sure there are going to be people that are willing to buy it - at least a FEW people will buy anything. But because it is the only case Apple sells, I think that the price is way over market value. I could see them sharging that price if it were a special luxury item and they ALSO sold a less expensive, non-leather case (a step above the included case, if you can call it that).

If Apple really wants to gain market share in the computing world, they need to re-think their pricing strategy. Pricing a leather case (no matter how good the Italian quality) at $100, is just not going to create the kind of consumption that Apple wants (or needs).

It seems like a very nice case, and I’m sure some people are going to buy it. But overall, it is way overpriced.

As an addition, I think it was over designed. It goes to the epitome of Apple simplification, forgetting about practicality. I would love to see this case come with cutouts for the scroll wheel and screen.

Posted by Mick on March 29, 2006 at 7:05 AM (PDT)

Cory, to answer your question, think of this case as a “high-end” version of the included case.  The case is a thick and stiff leather, form fitted to the iPod, so it adds a really solid layer of protection for the device. Inside it is coated with a microfiber cloth to further protect the device.  The ribbon is desgined in the device so you can tug it and your iPod will slide out.

So like I said, it is like a high-end version of the included case.

Posted by Erick on March 29, 2006 at 3:54 PM (PDT)

But Erick, if this is to be the high-end case, then Apple should also sell an in between case - not as flimsy as the sheath (I don’t think it’s fair to call it a case) that is included with the iPod, but also not Italian leather.

It’s fine if Apple wants to have a luxury item, but then they also need a case that ‘the others’ can afford, but that will still offer comparable protection.

Posted by Mick on March 29, 2006 at 4:15 PM (PDT)

I recieved this case in the mail today.  Yeah, yeah I now it was stupid to buy a $100 case but this thing is awesome.  It is by far the nicest looking case I have seen, Vaja included.  It is slick!  It is protective and fits the iPod perfectly.  I cannot adjust the volume through the case but could change to the next song and turn off the iPod which is enough for me.  I do not think it is worth $100 and is most likely a dumb move of Apple priceing it above the price point most customers are willing to pay.  For me though, someone who has bought and returned about six or so cases, $100 may be rediculous, but at least my exaustive five month search is over and to me that is worth the extra cash.  Did I mention it looks awesome?

Posted by Tommy Boy on March 29, 2006 at 11:05 PM (PDT)

ill take 10 like Tommy Boy - we are paid to like it - i mean - i didnt say that…

Posted by gabe on March 30, 2006 at 7:41 AM (PDT)

Ten, huh?  Alright, let me just write you up here.  Is there anything else you would like with that?  Maybe our $325 lens cloth?  They are very soft and they say “Apple iPod” on it, that’s right “Apple iPod”.

Posted by Tommy Boy on March 30, 2006 at 7:57 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2