Apple likely victor in Palm USB dispute
In the latest chapter in the ongoing dispute between Apple and Palm over the latter’s Pre handset and its ability to sync with iTunes, an USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF) executive has responded to Palm’s complaint over Apple’s continuous efforts to block the device. When Palm initially released the Pre, its Mass Storage interface identified itself as an iPod, allowing it to trick iTunes and sync. Apple blocked this approach with the release of iTunes 8.2.1 on July 15, which prompted Palm to write a complaint to the USB-IF on July 22. In the complaint, Palm said Apple’s use of its Vendor ID to block other devices from syncing with its software, the method used in the iTunes 8.2.1 update to block Pre syncing, was unfair, and stated that it would issue an update which would use “Apple’s Vendor ID number for the sole purpose of restoring Palm media sync functionality,” which it did just two days later.
Now, according to BusinessWeek, USB-IF executive director Traci Donnell has written a response to Palm, stating that “Palm’s allegation (if true) does not establish that Apple is using its Vendor ID contrary to USB-IF’s policies,” suggesting that it is completely within Apple’s rights to restrict iTunes syncing to devices carrying its Vendor ID. Furthermore, Donell said that Palm’s plan to use Apple’s Vendor ID to circumvent the iTunes block is against policy, writing, “Palm may only use the single Vendor ID issued to Palm for Palm’s usage….Usage of another company’s Vendor ID is specifically precluded,” adding that Palm has seven days to “clarify its intent.” Notably, Apple’s latest iTunes releases, iTunes 9 and 9.0.1, again block Pre syncing; Palm has yet to release an update to restore functionality under the new software.
- Apple Music service to include social pages for artists
- Apple streaming music service to provide limited free listening options
- OpenTV sues Apple for alleged patent infringement
- Report: Apple still missing key music streaming deals in time for WWDC debut
- Apple vying for artist exclusives for streaming music service; family plan?
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1.2 with OS X Photos app support
- Report: iOS 9 will bring new security features, improve legacy device support
- Report: Apple’s push for local content may delay Apple’s TV service
- Adobe dropping Photoshop Touch in favor of more focused apps
- Report: Dual app viewing, multiple logins coming to iPad
- Transit coming to Apple Maps in iOS 9?
- Apple and IBM expand MobileFirst apps to Apple Watch
- Report: Pebble facing financial struggles?
- iOS 9 to include new Home app for HomeKit?
- Report: Apple to bring Apple Watch font to iOS 9
- Leak reveals Flow by Outlook, a Microsoft email messaging app for iPhone
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?