Apple locks TV Out in new iPods, breaks video add-ons | iLounge News

Apple locks TV Out in new iPods, breaks video add-ons

Did you buy an add-on display, dock, speaker system, car accessory or cable with video-out for your color 4G or 5G iPod? Were you expecting it to work with the iPod classic or new iPod nano? Think again.

image

Without disclosing the change to customers, Apple has locked the TV Out feature of the iPod classic and video-capable iPod nano, preventing users from outputting iPod content to their TV sets as has been done in years past. Going to the Videos > Settings menu brings up a TV Out option that is now unresponsive when clicked, showing only the word “off.” When locked, video content will display on the iPod’s screen, but not on your TV or portable display accessory.*

image

Presently, the only apparent way to turn this feature on is if you connect your iPod to a device with an Apple authentication chip built in. Authentication chips are only available in Apple products, and in a handful of products made by Apple-licensed third-party developers. The chips are not available to unlicensed developers, and add additional costs to the prices of iPod accessories. Upcoming Apple video cables that will work with the new iPods will sell for a staggering $49.

image

Testing results with old accessories have been mixed, but largely negative. iLounge has tested the new iPods with Apple’s Universal Dock and iPod Hi-Fi, both of which unlock the TV Out option—even though the Hi-Fi has no video out feature. We have also confirmed that the new iPods do not work in popular portable video displays such as the Memorex iFlip and Sonic Impact Video-55, or most speakers with video output capabilities. One notable third-party exception is Bowers and Wilkins’ recent $600 speaker system Zeppelin, which appears to contain an authentication chip and have been assisted during development by Apple, unlike its lower-priced peers.

It is unclear whether Apple will also require new accessory purchases in order to unlock video output in its upcoming iPod touch. We will have more on this story as it develops.

[Updated: Starting in subsequent versions of the iPod nano and iPod classic firmware, Apple changed the Videos > Settings > TV Out menu option in a small and relatively unimportant way: you can now select “On” or “Ask” regardless of whether any accessory is connected, but neither of these settings will work to actually output video from these iPods to an external display unless you have connected a new accessory with an authentication chip. Similarly, the iPod touch and iPhone will only output video to authentication chip-equipped accessories, bringing up a Display on TV dialog box whenever you start video playback with such an accessory attached, and refusing to bring up that option otherwise. Pre-authentication chip video accessories remain unable to perform video from the iPod nano, iPod classic, iPod touch, and iPhone.]

« HTC comments on iPod touch

Apple seeking iTunes TV show price cut »

Comments

@rkent57,

That’s not true… As I mentioned above, my 80 GB iPod Classic (firmware 1.0.1) works just great with my DLO HomeDock Deluxe v2 (firmware update 2.0.2) as far as video goes. They video out looks great on my TV and works with all the MP4 videos I’ve tried it with (even high resolution 640x480 videos). Maybe it’s just the 160 GB models that won’t work???

Posted by TheOfficeMaven on September 18, 2007 at 8:57 PM (PDT)

The worst turns out to be true: the Logitech AudioStation Express which worked beautifully with the 5G is now locked out from the video from my new Nano. That’s a $100 investment down the toilet. Is there a reason why they’re doing this to established manufacturers? This is not like some budget knockoff brands we’re talking about here. The Apple Store still describes it as supporting TV out, though I noticed they dropped the icon indicating support for the 3G Nano. I’ll have to see if the video out from the JBL Radial Micro works since they indicate support for the new iPods.

Posted by barney on September 18, 2007 at 11:11 PM (PDT)

WHERE IS THE HACK?!?!

I hope it comes soon…

Posted by Mitch on September 19, 2007 at 11:36 PM (PDT)

- Anybody know if it will work with the DLO Home Dock Deluxe?

Bad news:

The Video-Out is locked with this product. With iPod nano, classic and touch

Posted by Markus on September 20, 2007 at 7:31 AM (PDT)

@Markus,

D’oh! Look just three short posts above yours. As you will see, the Video-Out on my 80 GB iPod Classic works just fine with the DLO HomeDock Deluxe v2 unit. I’m watching a movie on my TV from my iPod Classic as I type this message.

The only thing that doesn’t work with the HomeDock Deluxe is the album art.

Posted by TheOfficeMaven on September 20, 2007 at 6:20 PM (PDT)

What a waste of gas just to make another return. I picked up the JBL Radial Micro because Apple’s own website indicates this as being compatible with the new iPods, but it only works on the older models. No luck with the video lockout on the 3G Nano. I wish Apple was more open about this issue.

Posted by barney on September 23, 2007 at 3:18 PM (PDT)

This is B.S! In the end… Whether “chipping” the cables is for copy-protection or not - your going to be able to watch the video on your TV still with an Apple $50 cable.

So where’s the copy protection? Buying Apples video cable isint protecting the SD video anymore than the $5 cable would.

What difference does chipping a cable do in the end? NOTHING! This is just a way for Apple to control what peripherals are made for the iPods and to be profitable. And of course Apple keeps it’s mouth shut while were here guessing why simple prepherals we already own wont work.

It’s all about nickel and diming it’s customers because the iPods have demand.

Posted by Davey on September 24, 2007 at 7:25 AM (PDT)

Absolutely absurd!  I just purchased a 160gb Ipod to replace my 30gb and the feature I used most is now obsolete!  I have bought a home dock so I can view pictures and home videos on my tv and now guess what, I have to spend more money on something that I already had that is supposed to do what I want.  Apple is turning in to Sony.

Posted by Todd Anderson on September 24, 2007 at 5:19 PM (PDT)

Anybody have any idea if the new iPods break video compatibility with the Denon iPod docks?  My Denon receiver has a special Denon-branded dock (licensed with Apple’s “Made for iPod” program, so it’s an authorized accessory) that lets me listen to music and control the iPod with my Denon remote.  It also supports video out—the dock has an S-Video out connector which lets you view photo slideshows and presumably video (though I don’t have a video-capable iPod to test that with).  Anyway, not that I was planning on doing a lot of video viewing from an iPod, but it would be nice if it at least worked with the new iPods.

Posted by Rob Poole on September 24, 2007 at 5:29 PM (PDT)

argh.. bought the classic to play videos on my car’s navi screen. now, i might as well return it to apple.

Posted by suzy on September 25, 2007 at 2:26 AM (PDT)

I wish I read this before I bought the new 160G Classic. I bought it so I could load up videos for my son to watch in the car. I have a full Alpine video system in the car with touch screen monitors. I also bought the Alpine KCA-415i iPod video integration control unit to add to my cars A/V system. This unit allows the Alpine touch screen monitors to control the basic functions of the video iPod.  I hooked everything up but no video output. Now I just found this article and find that even though I have an Apple approved integration unit from Alpine that I can’t use it. What makes it worse is I spent a good 15-20 minutes at the Apple store deciding on the Classic or iTouch and the sales person working with me told me the current Apple A/V cables would work with both units. So now I guess I wasted $350 on a video iPod in which I can’t output video , and also $100 on an Apple approved integration unit from Alpine. That was a good $450 mistake. None of this would have happened if the sales guys at the Apple store told me the video output section was locked out. In fact, they told me it would work.

Posted by Ck6Speed on September 29, 2007 at 4:08 AM (PDT)

49.00 is staggering, when I just bought a cable from Walmart for $6.95 that is supposed to play the video from my ipod classic 160gb (that is really 148gb), and now the TV OUT won’t work.

I am really disgusted at Apple for doing this.

Posted by Bill on September 29, 2007 at 9:29 PM (PDT)

What about Photos?
Music videos purchased from itunes will be eliminated since I can’t play them anymore. Yes sometimes it is about the god almighty dollar, yet as a consumer, I refuse to spend one more dollar making it all work. I am on my 3rd hard drive due to media storage. I upgraded my 60 GB to 160 GB and hand down my old one, but apple/jobs messed up and lost more than a dollar… all my dollars, thanks for helping me kick the habit supporting itunes store. Thank You really!

Posted by Burned BY Apple on September 29, 2007 at 9:29 PM (PDT)

Another reason why apple products fade away, they are not compatible with the rest of the world. Good in the beginning, but very bad in the end.

Posted by Apple Mistake on September 29, 2007 at 9:41 PM (PDT)

After upgrading to the 160g classic I wont be spending the money to upgrade all my current home, car and portable connections. I’ll hang out for a hack. And if apple continue to play the game i’m off to another brand. Why do apple love locking people out of their own devices? I detest paying top price to get video out of the ipod I OWN. 80 aussie bucks for every new cable i need (x3) and a 4 week wait for shipment. Apple can kiss my A..

Posted by ian on September 30, 2007 at 10:09 PM (PDT)

If the upgrade is for the component output so be it. But seeing how they offer component and composite video cables to suit i strongly doubt it. Seems like a money grab to me.

Unfortunatly 2 of my set ups don’t have component inputs so i’d have to fork out 160au bucks for cables i really shouldn’t need.

They should have at least given us the option to use composite through the H/P jack or upgrade to component through the docking socket.

Posted by ian on September 30, 2007 at 10:22 PM (PDT)

this is so messed up, i already bought a 50$ cable when i got an ipod video last year and its a good durable cable that dosent go through the headphone jack, made by monster. and after i get my ipod classic i go to watch something and the thing wont work. im only 16, i dont have a job yet and i cant go out and get a worse cable for the same amount of money (this cable is really heavy dutty and reliable)

Posted by Matataku on October 2, 2007 at 9:20 PM (PDT)

I recently bought an ipod nano with video, It worked just fine with video output. Yesterday I updated the ipod software via itunes, It no longer works. Freaking BS! Gonna take it back and get me a zune which is what i should have done the first time around.

Posted by Ibis on October 3, 2007 at 7:22 AM (PDT)

To get video out of new 80GB Classic I bought Universal Dock which enables TV Out to be set to On, Off, Ask.  Then connect regular 3.5mm cable to the connector on back of the Universal Dock NOT to the iPod.

Video works coming out the Dock but not from the iPod’s own 3.5mm connector even with TV Out set to On.

I spent hours on figuring out how to get video out of the new iPod. The local Apple store was completely unaware of the problem that Apple has created.

Posted by Oliver99GM on October 3, 2007 at 2:27 PM (PDT)

I can confirm that these do not work. My Sonic Impact Video 55 arrived today. I found this article, because I was trying to troubleshoot the issue. This blows.

Posted by John on October 3, 2007 at 3:45 PM (PDT)

Page 6 of 13 pages « First  <  4 5 6 7 8 >  Last »