Apple locks TV Out in new iPods, breaks video add-ons | iLounge News

Apple locks TV Out in new iPods, breaks video add-ons

Did you buy an add-on display, dock, speaker system, car accessory or cable with video-out for your color 4G or 5G iPod? Were you expecting it to work with the iPod classic or new iPod nano? Think again.

image

Without disclosing the change to customers, Apple has locked the TV Out feature of the iPod classic and video-capable iPod nano, preventing users from outputting iPod content to their TV sets as has been done in years past. Going to the Videos > Settings menu brings up a TV Out option that is now unresponsive when clicked, showing only the word “off.” When locked, video content will display on the iPod’s screen, but not on your TV or portable display accessory.*

image

Presently, the only apparent way to turn this feature on is if you connect your iPod to a device with an Apple authentication chip built in. Authentication chips are only available in Apple products, and in a handful of products made by Apple-licensed third-party developers. The chips are not available to unlicensed developers, and add additional costs to the prices of iPod accessories. Upcoming Apple video cables that will work with the new iPods will sell for a staggering $49.

image

Testing results with old accessories have been mixed, but largely negative. iLounge has tested the new iPods with Apple’s Universal Dock and iPod Hi-Fi, both of which unlock the TV Out option—even though the Hi-Fi has no video out feature. We have also confirmed that the new iPods do not work in popular portable video displays such as the Memorex iFlip and Sonic Impact Video-55, or most speakers with video output capabilities. One notable third-party exception is Bowers and Wilkins’ recent $600 speaker system Zeppelin, which appears to contain an authentication chip and have been assisted during development by Apple, unlike its lower-priced peers.

It is unclear whether Apple will also require new accessory purchases in order to unlock video output in its upcoming iPod touch. We will have more on this story as it develops.

[Updated: Starting in subsequent versions of the iPod nano and iPod classic firmware, Apple changed the Videos > Settings > TV Out menu option in a small and relatively unimportant way: you can now select “On” or “Ask” regardless of whether any accessory is connected, but neither of these settings will work to actually output video from these iPods to an external display unless you have connected a new accessory with an authentication chip. Similarly, the iPod touch and iPhone will only output video to authentication chip-equipped accessories, bringing up a Display on TV dialog box whenever you start video playback with such an accessory attached, and refusing to bring up that option otherwise. Pre-authentication chip video accessories remain unable to perform video from the iPod nano, iPod classic, iPod touch, and iPhone.]

« HTC comments on iPod touch

Apple seeking iTunes TV show price cut »

Comments

Something else that doesn’t work: The FM Remote for fifth generation iPods and first/second generation iPod nanos doesn’t work with the iPod Touch.  You just gat a “This accessory is unsupported” message on the screen.  No radio I could have understood, but no remote and no headphone support?  That’s just silly.

Posted by phennphawcks on January 1, 2008 at 3:35 PM (CST)

Is there a tool/application to unblock this video out ?

Posted by Blackcaesar on January 1, 2008 at 5:33 PM (CST)

BYE BYE MAC….Just shipped My 80 Gig Classic and my Sons 160 Gig Classic Xmas gifts Back to amazon. Will not put up with the same Crap Sony pulled when they wouldnt let anyone make BETA-MAX Tape video players. We all know Beta crashed and burned While VHS sales skyrocked. You cant sell a product and then require people to bye exra items to make it work. If so include tha cable in the box or warn people so we just wont bye it….....P.S. My new ZUNE Aka (Ipod Crusher) Works Just Fine. Its no wonder nobody buyes apple computers….......

Posted by John on January 2, 2008 at 2:31 PM (CST)

I brought a nano 8gig in hopes of hooking it to a tv like alot of you. The apple store sold me a universal dock $49.00, this did not include any cables. then they wanted to sell the av cable for $19.00. I opted not to buy the cable.  Of course no other cable worked, so back to apple I go. This all seems like a plot to trap the customer like everyone is talking about. Amazing how this is just like MS, But what should we expect when MS owns the F#@3@  company.

Posted by Arch0nZ on January 2, 2008 at 10:48 PM (CST)

Wow,  Got my first and now my last apple ipod. I wanted to get the tv out cable, so I went to RadioShack - had the apple cable in my hand that I though would work - RadioShack guy said I did not need the Ipod cable and sold me the accurian A/V Cable - It did not work - I read this forum and now this will be my last Ipod. Not even the guy who sales Ipod stuff at the store knew apples little secret.  I hope someone gets a hack on this - or apple gives us a software update.  It would be nice…    oh.- also the Ipod cable I originally was going to buy would not have worked ether.  ( I now find out) - :(

Posted by good on January 3, 2008 at 12:18 AM (CST)

Though I want too, I have also decided not to upgrade my iPod because of the number of accessories I have come to rely to listen to my iPod. From my iHome alarm clock to my boombox and my car adapters in both of my cars it’s not worth it to upgrade. If you look at my track record I have updated my iPod almost every time a major update to the iPod has been made. But with the realization that almost all of my accessories would be useless if I were to upgrade my iPod, the “downs” clearly outweigh the “ups”.

Posted by djJASMAN in California on January 3, 2008 at 2:02 PM (CST)

Ah…

There’s more here…

Posted by davidosus on January 4, 2008 at 11:23 PM (CST)

My wife just got a new ipod nano and we tried to hook it up to our video player in the car the same way we hook up my 5th gen 60 GB ipod (with the cheapo camera a/v cable). Of course it doesn’t work.

Disregarding the $50 price tag, using the new dock and/or apple specific cable doesn’t work in the car because I already hook up the ipod to my car stereo via an ipod specific cable (USA Spec). This helps on long trips when I need to charge the ipod. It’s also nice because I can run the video to the portable display in the back seat and play the audio on the car’s sound system.

Being forced to use a dock kills this flexibility.

I really hope someone develops a hack for this.

Posted by TJ on January 7, 2008 at 5:24 PM (CST)

The “new” Apple component video cables (5 RCA plugs, charger, ipod plug, USB plug) cost $50.00 here and do not work on my 3 month old 80 gig classic connected to my 2 week old Samsung 1080p 46” lcd TV. I followed all the instructions EXACTLY, set the ipod to TV out on, pictures out on and NOTHING works. The TV screen says weak signal so it knows it’s connected on compoment 1 input but nada comes out. no audio, video or pictures. The Apple store here has , of course, no TV set in the place so we couldn’t try it before shelling out the money. One wonders why apple did not just come out with an ipod to HDMI input cable???? So Monday it’s back to the Apple store. Should be fun!

Posted by Larry on January 12, 2008 at 6:54 PM (CST)

This just blows…

I have an Iphone, and bought a universal 30pin to rca audio out cable and when I tried it, no damn audio is going out??  My brother has the 50 dollar cable, hooked that up and BANG.. thing muted the internal speaker and outputed the audio fine.  Apple is just getting to damn greedy.

Posted by rubeN on January 15, 2008 at 12:44 AM (CST)

I just went out and bought a 160 gig Ipod and I have a set of Iglasses that I love and they use the earplug adaptor for video and audio. its really nice when on a plane or riding in the car. I went to plug them in and found my ipod video was locked. also there is no way to set up the glasses to work correctly now. at least not without adding a bunch of garbage cabling. bfore it was just the glasses the ipod and a small battery. this is a joke and a total ploy by apple to grab more money. they no longer have the right to crack on MS after that bull$$%t

Posted by Ryan Frank on January 16, 2008 at 12:25 AM (CST)

How do I DESUBSCRIBE to this thread?????

Posted by Larry on January 16, 2008 at 10:52 AM (CST)

HI!! I GOT A NEW SONY VAIO LAPTOP.I HAVE AN IPOD I BOUGHT 2 YEARS AGO. IS THERE ANY SOFTWARE THAT I CAN USE TO SYNC MY PHOTOS??I HAVE HUNDREDS OF PHOTOS FROM THE LAST 2 YEARS I WOULD LIKE TO PUT ON MY COMPUTER. IF I SYNC MY IPOD WITH MY NEW COMPUTER, I WILL LOSE ALL OF THEM. CAN YOU HELP ME?? THANKS! LAURA .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by LAURA CULHANE on January 21, 2008 at 9:07 PM (CST)

It wont play any un authenticated video even on authenticated cables! BS! You have to get the videos in Itune outlest grrrrrrrr!!!!!! a total Rip off! an evil empire thats what a ROTTEN with MAGGOTS APPLE really is!

Posted by hazel on January 28, 2008 at 4:35 AM (CST)

have purchased both of the above and find that I can play music from ipod on dvd player but cannot find a way to show photos.(blank screen on dvd player). Anyone with any advice?

Posted by karthiksr on January 29, 2008 at 8:10 AM (CST)

can anyone tell me if the av cables will work with my new 160gb classice and a portable dvd player that already has an ipod dock built into it, sorry if this was already asked but i have recieved these 2 items as present and i cant work the together, but i can with my ipod 30gb,and if the av cables does aork with the new 160gb ipod classic which av cable do i need. and thank you

Posted by young budgie on February 1, 2008 at 3:02 PM (CST)

Are there any software workarounds out there to defeat the TV out defeat?

Posted by Craig Scheiner on February 2, 2008 at 3:59 AM (CST)

Guess what!  Your old cables and docks and video accessories will work with your old iPod, which you probably purchased them for in the first place. Apple didn’t disable headphone jack video on the old models. They simply didn’t include on the new models.

And why? Because they need to move forward with the technology. Better video, rentals, and HD offerings makes the old way unworkable. If you want the old, cruddy-looking composite way of doing it, then by all means pick up an iPod video on ebay.

My only complaint about the new cable requirement is the price. $49 is a bit high for ANY cable. Apple would do well to lower the price to $20 and explain why the technology moved forward.

But I don’t feel “screwed” by Apple. I feel fortunate that my iPod supports better video standards than the older models, and that I’m able to rent movies and watch them on my iPod.

Finally, Apple is a company that’s in business for profit. They’re not a charity. They’re not your friend. They’re a business in a capitalist nation that can only grow and innovate if they turn a profit. Paying for new technology doesn’t bother me. Paying for software doesn’t bother me, either. . . As long as Apple keeps innovating and making cool new things.

If you don’t like it, get a Zune. I’m sure you’ll love Microsoft’s policies and much-slower advancements a lot more.

Posted by Wilder_K_Wight on February 4, 2008 at 1:31 AM (CST)

Interestingly, my old Universal Dock with S-Video output works just fine. I guess I’m keeping it.

Posted by The Doctor on February 12, 2008 at 9:39 AM (CST)

pls. give me the exact dock to unlock my ipod classic TV out. Thanks…...

Posted by marloun on February 28, 2008 at 4:55 AM (CST)

Page 9 of 13 pages ‹ First  < 7 8 9 10 11 >  Last ›