Apple looking into iPod mini audio problem | iLounge News

Apple looking into iPod mini audio problem

“Apple Computer said late Monday that it is looking into some users’ complaints of sound problems with the iPod Mini.

Complaints ranging from crackling sound to interrupted play have been making the rounds on Apple enthusiast sites, including iLounge.

“Apple is aware of a few isolated reports online of iPod Mini audio static,” the company said in a statement, adding that the device is covered by the company’s standard one year warranty.”

« Apple offers upgrade to 15GB iPod due to iPod mini delay

Dension USA announces new ICE-Link v1.1 auto interconnect kit »

Comments

I think it’s a little more that a few “isolated” reports as they like to call it.  It seems that many of the mini owners have experienced this problem.  Fortunately, I have not experienced this problem yet, but maybe that time is soon to come?  Who knows…?  At least they are aware of the problem and hopefully can address it some time soon!!!

Posted by Asian_N02 on April 13, 2004 at 8:33 AM (PDT)

I reported this problem with my mini to Apple on Sunday via the Product Service link and am waiting for confirmation that they are sending out a box to return it for repair or replacement.  I suppose if i don’t hear from them by the end of the day I’ll have to call tomorrow.  My mini was assembled in Taiwan.  Some are also assembled in China (different location if now the same country).

Posted by pkradd on April 13, 2004 at 10:10 AM (PDT)

Hope this is grounds for a free replacement.  Imagine how many people will be upset if this isn’t covered under warranty due to wear and tear.

Posted by tetro on April 13, 2004 at 10:23 AM (PDT)

tetro, this is grounds for a free replacement.  It is a manufacturer defect.  People have already replaced their minis with a new one because of this specific problem…that is if you go to Apple.

Posted by Asian_N02 on April 13, 2004 at 10:36 AM (PDT)

Tetro, you don’t know anything about it. Reports that this is a design defect are quite speculative.

For starters, the thread every points to starts out with the iTrip. Well, the iTrip doesn’t work with the Mini right now due to a problem with the Mini firmware.

This whole this just seems like a confluence of people’s minor problems masquding as a single issue.

Posted by some dude on April 13, 2004 at 12:35 PM (PDT)

The problem is covered under warranty.  Normal wear and tear is not the issue.  After two months the player should not stop working properly.  Apple is taking back players that exhibit the problem.  I’m waiting for my return box. Third party products are not Apple’s responsibility.  If the iTrip doesn’t work with the mini it’s because it wasn’t designed for it.  it was designed for the standard iPod.  A non issue.

Posted by pkradd on April 14, 2004 at 5:07 AM (PDT)

So ungrateful complainers.
At least Apple acknowledged the complaints and is taking action for it. Remember, when you’re first to blaze a trail, you have to learn without example.

Posted by Wolf on April 14, 2004 at 1:42 PM (PDT)

@pkradd

well, sorry to destroy your illusions, but Taiwan and China are NOT the same country… let me guess - you are american?e

Posted by hans on April 16, 2004 at 2:19 PM (PDT)

According to China it’s one country There are only a handfull of countries that officially recocognize Taiwan as it’s own country.  Let me guess hans you’re from Europe where they don’t officially recognize Taiwan as as separate country

Posted by pr on April 24, 2004 at 5:17 AM (PDT)

where are ipod mini made?  I only want to get on if it’s not made in China!
(and Taiwan and china are DIFFERENT countries!)

Posted by tchen38 on May 18, 2004 at 4:28 PM (PDT)

Just another mini iPod user to add to the list of problems. I had mine for two months and it worked flawlessly. Then I started getting static, crackling and bad sound distortion. It didn’t matter what headphones, earbuds, etc were plugged into it. I have already sent my back to Apple and awaiting its return. I saw a post where someone sent theirs back and after getting a new one, had the same problem 3 weeks later. I hope Apple recognizes the problem and makes a production alteration.

Posted by fetalsono on June 1, 2004 at 4:21 AM (PDT)