Apple looking to create better iPod games | iLounge News

Apple looking to create better iPod games

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, February 21, 2005
News Categories: iPod

A recent job posting from Apple on Gamasutra, a recruiting site for the game industry, suggests that the company may be ready to expand the iPod’s bundled games. The posting seeks a programmer with “experience working with embedded systems” who would in part be “responsible for rapidly developing memory and performance optimized software solutions to complex problems.” The optional qualifications for the position include “ARM7 RISC processor experience,” “Flash [game] experience” and “2D or 3D graphics programming” knowledge.

« Backstage’s Top 3 List Hits iLounge Main Page

Apple to add Bluetooth to iPods? »

Comments

xoplay.com has some games for ipod.

Posted by Jasuell in new york on February 22, 2005 at 6:01 PM (PDT)

“meh. why? how often do you play games on your ipod and how would you really control a ‘good’ game with just the scroll wheel and the select button? i agree, it’s a waste of space. if i really wanted to play a game, i’ll play it on my cell phone.”

Anyone else struck by the irony of this statement?

Posted by Joshdude in Long Beach, CA on February 22, 2005 at 8:16 PM (PDT)

Can anyone tell me how the “Music Quiz” on the iPod works?  I just see a list of songs that disappear and one of them is the correct answer.

...I don’t know what the object is…

-Tom

Posted by TomBolton on March 6, 2005 at 7:58 PM (PDT)

Music quiz is a game where you try to guess the music that is playing via the headphones.  You select by using the scroll wheel.  The faster you know it the more points!

Anyway, I think that no one should care whether they add games.  Tetris, (which is perfect for the ipod) Shootout (it’s like a game where you’re a troop shooting with a gun at other troops trying to shoot you.  And finally a card game (besides solitare) blackjack, poker, etc. would be great.  The only problem is that I think they will charge money for the games…Hey that’s what apple is…

Posted by ihavanipod in none on March 22, 2005 at 11:40 AM (PDT)

“Anyone else struck by the irony of this statement?”

Definately. Besides I like playin the games on my iPod I just dont like the fact that I have to qiut a good solitaire game just to change the song

Posted by samiam jr. in Miami, FL on March 25, 2005 at 11:39 AM (PDT)

I see no reason why it can’t be possible for Apple to make downloads available to replace the current games. And frankly I would welcome it. I can’t count how many games of Parachute I’ve played in countless taxis waiting in traffic jams. Bring on da tetris!

Posted by Piusz on July 8, 2005 at 11:22 AM (PDT)

Following on from Rockbox’s Rockboy, the ipodlinux people are getting a Nintendo Gameboy emulator running. You can load up pretty much every gameboy ROM ever made onto 20GB. It’s pretty trivial to emulate original Gameboy hardware on an iPod. A SNES/C64/Atari emulator might be pushing it a little, but probably doable… Chip8 games are definitely easy to run, but they do look like something out of the 1970s.

I’d say that a color ipod would make a great MAME platform… Of course, you’re not going to see this from Apple - you can really only explot the hardware properly when you make your own OS replacement. Why wait for Apple? What about Doom on your iPod?

Posted by Demosthenes on July 8, 2005 at 12:17 PM (PDT)

How do you add songs to Music Quiz.
When I select it it says there are no songs to play with yet my ipod’s got heaps on it.

Posted by Brendon on August 4, 2005 at 5:24 PM (PDT)

for those of you with the older version iPods, generation 1 and generation 2, try going to ipodarcade.com, they have games written such as tetris… I have 3rd generation iPod with a click wheel and they don’t have the games written for that yet, boo hoo…

Posted by para ni on October 9, 2005 at 8:57 AM (PDT)

this is the ###### gayest site ive ever senn u mother #######

Posted by giovanni gonzalez on November 3, 2005 at 8:42 PM (PDT)

the games that would be food for ipod

poker
black jack
tetris
pacman
some game were you have to use stardjy
pyrimids
racing
cheat

all be goo espesially if free

Posted by justin on November 9, 2005 at 6:52 PM (PDT)

Which is a better ipod?

Ipod Nano

or

Ipod Mini(regular ipod)

Posted by iPod23 on November 19, 2005 at 6:58 PM (PDT)

ipod video is the best thats what i got #######

Posted by me on February 12, 2006 at 1:39 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2