Apple lowers pricing on iPod touch 3.x update | iLounge News

Apple lowers pricing on iPod touch 3.x update

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, September 11, 2009
News Categories: iPod

Amidst a slew of announcements Wednesday—new iPods, iTunes 9, and so on—Apple quietly lowered the price on its iPod touch 3.1 Software Update. Previously priced at $9.95, the update is now only $4.95 for iPod touch users running Software 2.x or earlier. Customers who purchased an iPod touch after July 17, when iPhone OS 3.0 was released, likely do not need the update, and can upgrade to the latest software—OS 3.1.1—for free via the Update feature in iTunes.

« iPod touch 3G teardown reveals 802.11n chip

iPod touch 3G speed comparison videos online »

Comments

I noticed this, and I have to say I wasn’t happy. As an iPod touch 1G owner I’ve paid my ~$10 for 2.0 and again for 3.0. Wonder if they’ll refund… haha right.

Posted by iharley on September 11, 2009 at 12:20 PM (PDT)

My stepson got an iPod touch in August, and when registering it via iTunes was about to be charged $9.95.  If I hadn’t already updated mine, he would have been out the $10 despite having bought it after July 17th.  I’m irritated they dropped the price, but have updated mine, his, and my stepdaughter’s iPod.  I’ll also update my sister’s two.  Might as well get my money’s worth.

Posted by Stephanie on September 11, 2009 at 12:36 PM (PDT)

I saw this on Wednesday, as I was looking to update mine from 3.0 to 3.1.  This made me wonder if most people with iPod Touches are less into updating, or less into the whole iPhone OS thing.  I have lots of friends who all have an iPod Touch, but they can’t really do much with it.  They know how to listen to music and by applications, but when I talk to them about updating to the latest version, I get a blank stare.  Is Apple trying to get more people to buy the update by charging less for it?  I’ve bought both paid upgrades as soon as they came out (not the January rip-off), but for some people, 10 bucks is a lot of money for something they probably won’t use to the full extent.  Apple’s going for quantity over quality.

Posted by Josh C. on September 11, 2009 at 12:45 PM (PDT)

after the 3.0 update there was some data suggesting that iPod touch owners were staying away due to the $10 price for not a ton of new functionality. i was one of these people, but at $5 i decided to go for it principally to get access to a few 3rd party apps which require 3.0.

this is just how Apple rolls. Early adopters almost always subsidize those who come later, and Apple rarely drops the price until consumer demand dwindles. this is probably why iPod touch prices are still pretty high despite few new features ... they are still selling like hotcakes.

Posted by mike in boston or toronto on September 11, 2009 at 12:49 PM (PDT)

Heh, use the internets, no need to pay these stupid upgrade fees for a firmware update.  From what I understand you NEED the latest firmware to access the appstore and more?  If so, that’s doubly lame.

Posted by ascian on September 11, 2009 at 3:08 PM (PDT)

im in canada and i wouldve payed the full $10 if i could use the itunes giftcards to purchase it. buying apps in canada with them is a no-go, and i bet if apple allowed it they wouldve got more purchases.

Posted by asdf on September 12, 2009 at 10:09 PM (PDT)