Apple making good on 40GB remote and case orders | iLounge News

Apple making good on 40GB remote and case orders

If you ordered one of Apple’s new 40 gigabyte iPods yesterday morning, this news is for you. As reported yesterday on iLounge and further detailed in Backstage, Apple unexpectedly changed its web site mid day to drop two accessories (the iPod wired Remote and 40GB carrying case) from its official list of 40GB iPod pack-ins. The change was first reported by iLounge administrators at 12:52PM Eastern Standard Time (9:52AM Pacific).

Apple Store’s customer service is working to make things right for those who placed online orders early in the morning with the understanding that those accessories would be packed in: a polite telephone call mentioning the web site change and requesting the two missing parts can restore them to your order. However, it appears that not all customer service representatives have seen the e-mail notifying them of the web site problems. Two iLounge editors called to confirm these reports this morning; one had the problem addressed quickly after mentioning the web site change, and the other had to go through two supervisor calls before the problem was fixed.

iLounge has previously praised Apple for its outstanding online store customer service, and hopes that all affected purchasers will have trouble-free experiences in getting all the items that they ordered. If you’re an affected 40GB iPod purchaser and have contacted Apple, please post your experiences in the comments thread below.

« Reader report: 4G iPod and photos

Apple: 4G iPods shipping online, perhaps at retail »

Comments

I am guessing a few heads will roll for this mistake.
Quite possibly paying the difference out of their salary, or has already been fired. I wish I had ordered the 40GB that early morning for extra $78 worth of stuff.

Posted by SolidGun on July 20, 2004 at 1:21 PM (CDT)

I got my case/remote by emailing them.  I ordered at 9:13AM EDT.

Posted by Tom Boucher on July 20, 2004 at 1:25 PM (CDT)

Worked for me.  The rep had to check his email to confirm the deal, but he added the remote/earphones and a case to my order free of charge.

Posted by RedHead on July 20, 2004 at 1:33 PM (CDT)

Nice! Apple usually seems to be on top of PR.

Posted by mongoos150 on July 20, 2004 at 1:53 PM (CDT)

waited about 10 mins to talk to someone.  Explained the situation, he said he knew of the error, and apologized, but that apple would not be shipping the items with it.

I was surprised, and asked to speak with a supervisor.  20 minutes later he came back on and said he spoke at length with the supervisor, and that they appreciate my business and they would ‘offer’ me a free case, but not the remote.  I don’t really use the remote that much, so I took it, but I am really annoyed with them right now.

Even at 11AM today the Apple canada site had those items listed as included accessories, I don’t know why it took them so long to make the changes.  They probably won’t get this customer support email until tomorrow either, at which point the iPod will have been shipped already.  This is a little discouraging Apple!

Posted by Rob on July 20, 2004 at 2:06 PM (CDT)

I called about this very issue a few hours ago, as I fall into this boat. After a 9-minute wait, the Apple PR rep apologized for the delay, and once I explained the situation happily added the remote and case for $0.00.

Excellent customer service.

Posted by explodie on July 20, 2004 at 2:13 PM (CDT)

Apples customer service kindness has run out.  I just got off of the phone after 40 minutes and 3 different people.  The best they could do was take $25 off of my order.  I want my case and remote!  I checked the tech specs yesterday before placing my order at 6:27am PST and they were included accessories, a couple hours later they are not.  I even have a print out of the tech specs page from Apple showing they are included.  No good.  I mentioned ipodlounge and that sealed my fate.  Beacause I mentioned a “rumor” site (their words) I can’t prove I would have known to call them on my own.  I’m VERY dissatisfied with Apples handling of this situation.  Good luck trying to get your goods now.  To those that did good for you, you apparently got lucky!

Posted by dawntreader101 on July 20, 2004 at 2:19 PM (CDT)

What games does the new ipod have?????
i want new games!!!!!!!! :D

Posted by Rich on July 20, 2004 at 2:22 PM (CDT)

I contacted them after reading this story (12:23 PM) and they did in fact add the remote and case to my order for free.  They are going to ship at a later date, but I’m not that worried about it.  I checked my order status to verify and they are in fact on the order for free.  I had placed my order at 6:03 AM Pacific Time on 07/19(I had been waiting for this iPod for a while).  I did have to put a little pressure on them, because they tried to deny me at first, but they caved pretty easily (I’m a buyer by trade, so I negotiate all day).  Good Luck to all that are attempting this, but I can guarantee that Apple knows the EXACT time that the accessories were removed, so if you didn’t order it early, don’t even attempt to try to get the items for free.  If you know that you are entitled to these, just don’t give up, escalate to the manager and be firm.

Posted by Bluebeard on July 20, 2004 at 3:07 PM (CDT)

apple had better watch who they’re calling a “rumor” site… ipodlounge is more accurate on ipod facts than apple is.

Posted by xec on July 20, 2004 at 3:09 PM (CDT)

Same here. I ordered my 1st iPod (40 gig) early in the morning 9:15 am and then later I checked ipodlounge and a post and behold, both items were gone. I was like, darn.. oh well. Anyway I was bummed. Even checked ebay and they are about $15-20 for the remote. Carrying Case? I guess I could use my Treo 600 case since it’s almost identical. Well I said, what If I call them.. no harm,

And after explaining to them that I was an early bird orderer, they had me on hold and ,,, a few minutes later said they were gonna ship them to me. - gratis!  I congratulated them for their excellent service. Man that’s awesome.

I think if you did order it in the morning then you might have a shot. If you ordered it today or later after it was corrected on the web, then you might have to live without them.

Posted by TEXSTAR on July 20, 2004 at 3:31 PM (CDT)

Worked for me.  Had to wait on the phone for 10 min, then I explained that yeterday when i was placing my order I noticed a couple accessories that aren’t listed there today and i wanted to know if those would be included with my order.  He then happily added them to my order at no cost… though it took him several minutes (I guess he’s new).  No questions were asked.

Posted by rupert on July 20, 2004 at 3:33 PM (CDT)

As I’ve posted here before, and on Spymac, and the Apple discussions, I ordered a 40G before they changed the site. Then I cancelled it (due to good reasons) because the lady I got on the phone would not help me at all. So I cancelled and reordered the 20G.

After all this hullabaloo of people saying that I was stupid for what I did, I called back AGAIN today to make my case, and holy crap, they have reinstated me for the original 40G after they realized that I was one of the early orders, even thought the stupid second lady I talked to said she couldn’t help me, either.

So now, after the early order, canceled order, a reorder, now another cancel, and then they have reordered my 40G, with all the accessories.

Let me tell you, I am happy.

Posted by gary on July 20, 2004 at 4:32 PM (CDT)

So how about the people that ordered the ipod after the fact. I mean I just ordered the 40 gig assuming that the remote and the case were included. I didnt read the fine print where it listed the accessories because it was “assumed” that it included those two items. Even more, I thought it was a good deal since they were also including the 19 dollar value of the usb / firewire connection. I tried to quickly see how much a remote would cost from apple website but all they have is the combo remote with headphones. I have the headphones already. I just want the remote. I enjoyed using it with my 2nd generation IPOD and would like to get it with this one. Im mad at this turn of event.

Posted by djjasman on July 20, 2004 at 6:32 PM (CDT)

Hey, I ordered the iPod BEFORE the fact in Australia (in fact, straight after they became availble), but because the Australian site was never incorrect Apple Australia will not upgrade these orders! Very harsh…

Posted by OziMac on July 20, 2004 at 11:30 PM (CDT)

If I didn’t already own a 3rd gen. 40gig ipod, I’d be very disappointed with above the news, but I only used my remote & carrying case for a short while till I got a more protective case & my most favorite accessory to date - Engineered Audio’s Wireless Remote which I use 99% of the time.  It’s so convenient compared to always having my hands in my pocket groping for the wired remote to change songs, adjust volume, etc

Posted by Gee on July 21, 2004 at 2:10 AM (CDT)

does anyone know if the UK site was showing incorrect details?

Posted by ak on July 21, 2004 at 5:02 AM (CDT)

I actually got a a tracking # on my “free” accessories today.  Thanks to Jeremy for bringing this to light, thanks to Newsweek for leaking the info (the reason that I even placed the order so early) and the person that I would like to thank most is the web programmer that made this mistake in the first place (I hope you’re still employed).

Posted by darebell on July 21, 2004 at 6:56 AM (CDT)

I placed a seperate for the remote and headphones, later looking at this site I found they were making good on their error. I called apple today and after about 15 minutes or so on the phone and they are now reimbursing me for the remote and case. yay apple!

Posted by Josh on July 21, 2004 at 9:19 AM (CDT)

I don’t think it was the web programmer. I think (for some unknown reason) that at first, they had planned on actually giving the accessories to the people with the 40G. Then they realized that anyone who had the 20G and wanted the accessories could just get the 40G and actually pay less. (The 20G with all the accessories was like $416)

Well, they fixed the problem, and luckily I was fortunate enough to get through and I got my original 40G after I had cancelled it because the lady screwed up in the beginning.

Well, whatever. I’m just glad I got it. If you ordered before they changed the site, FIGHT IT. I’m telling you, someone will give you the items for free if your case is plausible, meaning if you ordered sometime before like 945am pacific time, when AndyH on this board pointed it out. Good luck with it.

Posted by gary on July 21, 2004 at 10:39 AM (CDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >