Apple making good on 40GB remote and case orders | iLounge News

Apple making good on 40GB remote and case orders

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, July 20, 2004
News Categories: iPod

If you ordered one of Apple’s new 40 gigabyte iPods yesterday morning, this news is for you. As reported yesterday on iLounge and further detailed in Backstage, Apple unexpectedly changed its web site mid day to drop two accessories (the iPod wired Remote and 40GB carrying case) from its official list of 40GB iPod pack-ins. The change was first reported by iLounge administrators at 12:52PM Eastern Standard Time (9:52AM Pacific).

Apple Store’s customer service is working to make things right for those who placed online orders early in the morning with the understanding that those accessories would be packed in: a polite telephone call mentioning the web site change and requesting the two missing parts can restore them to your order. However, it appears that not all customer service representatives have seen the e-mail notifying them of the web site problems. Two iLounge editors called to confirm these reports this morning; one had the problem addressed quickly after mentioning the web site change, and the other had to go through two supervisor calls before the problem was fixed.

iLounge has previously praised Apple for its outstanding online store customer service, and hopes that all affected purchasers will have trouble-free experiences in getting all the items that they ordered. If you’re an affected 40GB iPod purchaser and have contacted Apple, please post your experiences in the comments thread below.

« Reader report: 4G iPod and photos

Apple: 4G iPods shipping online, perhaps at retail »

Comments

Just rang apple. They’re not including the case or remote with my UK order and wouldn’t budge on it.

Very, very disappointed.

This is my first apple purchase and I would have thought - esspecially given how easy the ipod is to scratch - they would include at least the case with the 40 gig package.

I had heard that Apple gave good customer service but what I just experienced was poor - very short answers, not friendly at all. Hardly the way to convince people to switch to macs.

Posted by 1359399 on July 21, 2004 at 7:43 AM (PDT)

i ordered monday morning, when the salesman asked if i wanted the 20 or the 40, i asked, “the 40 comes with the dock, case, and remote right?” he said yes, so i placed my order. today when i called him to ask if he could get me the remote and case at no charge, he said he did not say that the ipods came with a case and remote, i raised the BS flag. he transferred me over to customer service(14 min), the lady was real nice and with no fuss added them to my order at no charge :o).

Posted by Joey on July 21, 2004 at 8:38 AM (PDT)

I ordered Monday morning but used an international credit card so they cancelled the order automatically. I put the order right back in with a US credit card without seeing the change.

I called today and he said he could only offer me a $25 discount from the price. I took it because a) I have a 3G 40GB iPod so can just use the same remote and 2) I could care less about the case.

While I think you really CAN insist on it under the consumer laws, especially the California ones, I was willing to meet Apple half-way.

Posted by Focher on July 21, 2004 at 8:59 AM (PDT)

I had placed my order Monday morning. I called this afternoon and the rep. said he would send out the remote and case for me because it was “Apple’s mistake.”

He also confirmed for me that the 40 gig, will not work in the old 3 gen. docks because it is thinner…so now I’m going to have to buy a new dock…that is irritating.

Posted by eroell on July 21, 2004 at 9:20 AM (PDT)

Eroell,
The dock is included, you won’t have to buy a new one.  Also if the 4th gen is thinner it will work.  I’ve used my mini in the 3rd gen dock.

Posted by dawntreader101 on July 21, 2004 at 10:04 AM (PDT)

I ordered my 40GB iPod at 4:00 PM PST.  I just got off the phone with Apple customer service (15 minutes on hold and 5 minutes talking to a real person), and Apple is going to ship me the remote and carrying case free of charge since I saw them on the website earlier that day.  Apple customer service is great :-D.

Posted by bgold42 on July 21, 2004 at 10:26 AM (PDT)

I just called customer service and they added the two items to my 40gig ipod order for $0.00. My original order was placed at 12:16 PST on the 19th.

This was my first apple purchase and I am very pleased.

Posted by jonnyt on July 21, 2004 at 10:40 AM (PDT)

I ordered my 40gb 4g on 19th, I will call them tomorrow to find out.
I called them yesterday when I realised remote was not included and I’ve had to pay for it, so I shall demand a refund and a case.

Will let you know how I get on.

Posted by CocoPops on July 21, 2004 at 10:44 AM (PDT)

i called apple this afternoon. spent not even 15 mins. on the phone. talked to the guy, told him my order, and asked about the case and remote. he told me that they were automatically shipping with mine. it was all ready done! i placed my order at 7:10 a.m. pacific, so i was well under the limit. apple’s great, i love them. i want to buy a mac computer someday…

Posted by Cam on July 21, 2004 at 10:54 AM (PDT)

I ordered my Ipod 40g 4th gen today, the 21st. I told them it was pretty crappy to switch the offer that soon, considering it’s been only a few days since it was announced. Anyway, they gave me $25 off my order, so I used it plus an extra $5 to order the wired remote. I didn’t want their flimsy case anyway. Gonna wait till a 4th gen Ipod Armor comes out. Hope that helps you late people like me =)
-B

Posted by Bravehrt on July 21, 2004 at 11:03 AM (PDT)

Hmm, I just called the US Apple Store, they can’t do anything about UK orders, but told me it was WORLDWIDE that they were doing the offer of remote/case Free etc.

I shall be calling the UK Apple Store first thing tomorrow, especially as I’ve already paid for the remote.

Posted by CocoPops on July 21, 2004 at 11:12 AM (PDT)

On Monday I saw the announcement early and went to Apples site to see the new 4g iPods.  After looking thru the tech specs, I picked the 40gb over the 20gb due to low space on my old iPod and wanted to get the case and remote missing from the 20gb model.  I ordered it.

After reading this thread this AM, I called Apple.  I explained how I ordered a new 4g 40gb iPod very early on Monday while the site had the included case/remote, and how now they are no longer included.  The rep began telling me she knew nothing of the issue, had not seen any Apple email, and could only sell the missing parts.  I told her other people were able to get the parts, and she was very quick to tell me info on “Rumor” sites was not valid.  After speaking with a supervisor, I was offered the $25 credit by the supervisor.  She was snippy, told me she couldn’t comment on why the Site was incorrect and $25 credit was all she would do.  I asked why they corrected the problem for others and not me.  I was told other supervisors handle issues on a case by case basis. (The $25 credit was going to cost Apple more than their cost for the case and remote).  I called back 45 min. later, after 10 minutes on hold, the guy that answered said “No problem, there was an issue with the site Monday, and he would be happy to send me the missing items.  Anything else I can help with?”  So be persistent, and call back if needed.

Bottom line:
Don’t tell them anything about things you read on-line, they stop listening even though this is clearly a false advertising issue
Be polite, the specs were incorrect.
Don’t be bashful, ask for a supervisor, or call back and try someone else.

Thanks to the dedicated Customer service people who work at Apple for doing the right thing.  You are why Apple enjoys such fierce loyalty.

Posted by Sinkin Fast on July 21, 2004 at 11:18 AM (PDT)

dawntreader101, you’re right, the 40 does come with the dock! The Apple rep., told me I’d have to buy one. This is my third iPod that I’ve bought, and definitely the most consfusing of the bunch, in terms of what you actually get.

Posted by eroell on July 21, 2004 at 12:02 PM (PDT)

“apple’s great, i love them. i want to buy a mac computer someday…”

Truly. I switched last November and I will NEVER EVER use a Windoze Pee Sea again. Ever.

If you switch, you will not be disappointed.

Posted by gary on July 21, 2004 at 2:48 PM (PDT)

Great experience.  Called them at 845 EST on Monday, mentioned the website change and asked them if they would honor it.  She said “we will honor it” and added both case and remote at no charge.  I am very happy with the service I received and can’t wait to get my first iPod!!!

Posted by John on July 21, 2004 at 3:21 PM (PDT)

I ordered a 3G iPod on 7/14 and i was notififed on 7/19 that i was getting the 4G iPod at lower cost, and then on the 20th, i recieved an email that the remote and case were not included in the package but they were grandfathering me some. today i recieved the accessories and the AppleCare stuff shipped today BUT the iPod is still showing open.

Posted by ZarZ on July 21, 2004 at 5:39 PM (PDT)

Hello, I ordered the 4G iPod (40GB) 6:20AM PST, Monday morning. Checked back with Apple on Tuesday and they were very professional and polite, and added the case and remote for no extra charge. I told them that I ordered the iPod after i noticed that it came with these items.

Posted by PG on July 21, 2004 at 6:31 PM (PDT)

I called yesterday morning, and the items shipped last night, the iPod hasn’t even shipped yet!  Kudos to Apple for taking responsibility for their mistake and taking care of their loyal early adopter customers.

Posted by jess on July 22, 2004 at 1:52 PM (PDT)

Apple has absolutely refused to budge in Australia. So much for taking responsibility for loyal early adopter customers.

Posted by No Kudos on July 22, 2004 at 3:36 PM (PDT)

I ordered a 40GB at 5:45AM PST on 7/19. Called them 7/20, told them I noticed that the remote and case were missing when I checked the site again. I was told they would honor their mistake and send them to me free of charge. Remote is here, case and engraved iPod are on the way.

Posted by graphxjoe in Southern New Jersey, US on July 22, 2004 at 5:16 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >