Apple media event coverage, with photo gallery | iLounge News

Apple media event coverage, with photo gallery

imageBelow is a roundup of our coverage from Apple’s special media event, which took place earlier today at the company’s headquarters in Cupertino, California. During the presentation, Apple CEO Steve Jobs introduced the iPod Hi-Fi, leather iPod cases, and Intel-based Mac minis.

- Full iLounge Review: Apple iPod Hi-Fi
- Apple event photo gallery (iPod Hi-Fi, Jobs)
- Live coverage of Apple’s media event
- iPod Hi-Fi speaker system unveiled
- Apple intros leather iPod cases

« Apple to benefit from home audio slowdown

iPod Hi-Fi speaker system unveiled »

Comments

Really disappointing. I expected to see something better during this event.
bye
filos

Posted by filosnet on February 28, 2006 at 4:10 PM (PDT)

I’m more ticked off at myself for getting excited by all the rumors. It’s not Apple’s fault. (kick self in rear)

Posted by Jasper Johns on February 28, 2006 at 4:52 PM (PDT)

Overpriced, just because its for the ipod.

Posted by dave on February 28, 2006 at 5:45 PM (PDT)

Oh, hey, I think I saw this before. Yeah, now I remember…. I saw that at XtremeMac called Tango. Apple is really struggling in the accessory game. They should just sit back and let the 3rd party companies like XtremeMac do their thing.

Posted by Shawn on February 28, 2006 at 8:59 PM (PDT)

I have never seen a speaker system so big as this :O Very disappointed. Apple should stick to what they are good at.. the Apple Mac and the IPOD. Speakers should be left to ‘speaker’ companies, like BOSE, JBL etc.

I love my IPOD (a portable music device), but lets face it, an IPOD will never be a HIFI (High Fidelity). Marantz, ARCAM, LINN etc, these companies make HIFI.

Posted by bond007 on March 1, 2006 at 1:53 AM (PDT)

Very disappointed.  I suppose it was coming sooner or later, but I don’t think an “event” should have been held just for a boom box and $100 leather cases.  I at least expected some news on the shuffle whether it be a new 2nd gen or its discontinue.  Hopefully Apple’s 30th anniversary which is apparently next month, will make up for such a lousy showing.  All I ask for is an 8GB or 10GB Nano.  All I need…

Posted by Sean on March 1, 2006 at 2:13 AM (PDT)

yes Im sure that the Hi-Fi is a very good system to the point that it showed the flaws in iTunes files (or even any mp3 file compressed at any rate) so why are we making a super speaker system while the mp3 player(not just the ipod)does not produce such quality? Maybe if they stick a CD drive (like one of them small BOSE systems) then it will be worth it. As for the cases, come on! they are exactly like the ones you get when you buy the nano or the 5G, useless!

Posted by Saad on March 1, 2006 at 6:17 AM (PDT)

I suppose we can’t always expect miracles from Apple, cut them some slack smile Maybe at least, the audio quality is really, really good, so for those who rip their songs at 320kbps they may like the boom box.

Posted by duepeace on March 1, 2006 at 6:22 AM (PDT)

But hey, it’s so easy to just spout off.  Go for it!  How dare Apple release a new product that *I* don’t need.  You don’t need to wait for silly things like facts or empirical data.

Posted by m. sherman on March 1, 2006 at 7:33 AM (PDT)

Getting upset over people expressing an opinion about their disappointment seems a little silly. People like to expres opinions—it’s nice they can. Sure some people get really upset and some people get extremely sarcastic in response but that’s what it so great about Apple. They make products people get passionate about.

Posted by uphillslide on March 1, 2006 at 8:45 AM (PDT)

I’d say Apple’s “Jumped The Shark” on this one - the case is stupid and way overpriced…same with the boombox. The only thing worthwhile was the mini - I’m a PC user, but am actually considering a mini purchase…

Posted by Sean Berry on March 1, 2006 at 10:26 AM (PDT)

“I just love all the haters that are bashing these new products when they have neither listened to the Hi-Fi or felt and inspected the new leather case.”

I don’t need to “feel and inspect” a sleeve (can’t really call it a case, can you) to know that it’s not worth even a tenth of what Steve-O wants to charge for it.

With all the hype and secrecy before the event, more overpriced iCrap introduced during it, and the fanbois balking at the well-deserved criticism afterwards just makes me even more glad for jumping off the iPod bandwagon.

Posted by Chahk on March 1, 2006 at 11:03 AM (PDT)

I was almost anticipating, given the emphasis on “low sound quality” that Apple would announce a higher bit rate format from iTunes (Lossless or 256 for ex).  I would expect this to be at a higher price and an upgrade charge for past purchases.  Any idea if this is in the hopper?

Posted by frantic on March 1, 2006 at 12:31 PM (PDT)

Hey Chahk, you go on about fanboyism and whatnot, but when I read your post, I seem to be getting the message that you are on the exact opposite end of the extreme, and being a hater doesn’t make you any better than being a fanboy. For example the leather sleeve for the iPod, granted is expensive, but I mean, why not have the open mindedness and common sense to at least reserve judgment until you see it? You could be right, but I mean it seems like you are a little eager to talk trash. The “hype and secrecy” was only made by us who are talking about it and awaiting the announcements, but there is no need to “take sides” and pretend you are on a team. These are just products being made by a company, nothing to hate or bash people about, if you like it, buy it, if you think it’s too expensive, no one has a gun to your head.

Posted by Aaryn on March 1, 2006 at 1:20 PM (PDT)

Given the speaker boom-box for ipod concept is done over a few times now (just go to your local big-box electronics store that has the buys that are the best, and see for yourself - JBL, etc) Apple marketing must have had this date saved for something else that did not make it out of production yet.

Think about it…

Apple marketing is hoping to make a release date for a product (better video ipod?) and in the months and weeks before the date, markets the date as a ‘big secret’ at all the conventions, then when the product isn’t ready, they pull out this ‘speaker’ thing and say that’s what it’s really all about - saves them face.

imho that is

Posted by yagrax on March 2, 2006 at 5:53 PM (PDT)

Damn!  Duped again!

Posted by Jeff on March 5, 2006 at 9:26 AM (PDT)

“With all the hype and secrecy before the event…”
Yeah, so let’s see, why doesn’t Apple just tell everyone what they’re going to announce at the event ahead of time *rolls eyes*

“more overpriced iCrap introduced during it…”
It’s called brand name. Simple as that. It’s overpriced because people buy it for brand name. Same thing everywhere else. Which are you more likely to buy, Stop & Shop toilet paper or Charmin, even though it’s an extra $2.

“and the fanbois balking at the well-deserved criticism afterwards just makes me even more glad for jumping off the iPod bandwagon.”

So what, they’re dissapointed. What are you using now, a Microsoft Origami?

Posted by Nobody on March 5, 2006 at 7:51 PM (PDT)