Apple, NBC Universal break off iTunes TV show talks | iLounge News

Apple, NBC Universal break off iTunes TV show talks

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, October 25, 2007
News Categories: iTunes

According to a Washington Post report, Apple and NBC Universal have ended negotiations aimed at keeping the studio’s TV programming on the iTunes Store. In August NBC Universal announced that it did not intend to renew its iTunes contract, which led to Apple announcing that it would not carry the studio’s fall schedule. When the current contract expires on Dec. 1, it is expected that all NBC Universal programming will be pulled from iTunes. NBC Universal has confirmed that it sent a letter on Oct. 9 asserting that Apple is in breach of contract, but no legal action is expected. In the same report, a source with knowledge of contract talks between the Warner Music Group and Apple claims that Warner may follow Universal Music Group’s lead and switch to a month-to-month deal to offer its content on iTunes, although the source also admits that no decision has yet been made.

« Tunewear announces Tuneshell for iPod nano (with video)

‘08 iLounge Buyers’ Guide Contests end tonight, last chance to win »

Comments

Go Apple.  Who needs universal.  NBC sucks.

Posted by patrick on October 25, 2007 at 11:48 AM (PDT)

Well, they may suck but The Office is pretty good. smile

Posted by Don Trammell on October 25, 2007 at 12:09 PM (PDT)

As more iPod Touches get into people’s hands this Christmas, NBC is going to find out how important Apple is to them. Nothing compares to the simplicity and affordability of iTunes.

Posted by bookcase on October 25, 2007 at 12:49 PM (PDT)

It could be argued that the main catalyst behind the popularity of The Office was iTunes. If I remember correctly, the show’s ratings were average until it was offered for download through iTunes. The show has been one of the posterchildren for iPod+iTunes, alongside U2, Green Day, et al.

Posted by tommy on October 25, 2007 at 1:30 PM (PDT)

You guys are simply amazing. iTunes is why ‘The Office’ is so popular? Are you even aware of a world outside of your whack Apple adoration?

Posted by proanim8r on October 25, 2007 at 2:00 PM (PDT)

Actually, yes, the iTunes Store is responsible for The Office still being on NBC. After a lackluster 1st year, NBC was ready to pull it from the schedule. However, once it became one of the top downloads on iTunes, NBC changed its mind.

Posted by Tim Gibson on October 25, 2007 at 2:13 PM (PDT)

Absolutely correct. iTunes pretty much saved The Office from the scrap pile. Although not realized by some — including NBC, evidently — iTunes has a huge reach with its customer base that is unparalleled.

Posted by RNB in Bakersfield, CA on October 25, 2007 at 4:05 PM (PDT)

All this uncertainty simply adds to the delay in getting TV and movies on international iTunes stores such as my own in Australia. Thanks, Universal. I’ve got some money here that you could have had.

Posted by Japester on October 25, 2007 at 4:42 PM (PDT)

I felt crabby about this whole thing at first too, then I checked out NBC’s free online broadcasts of whole episodes, which have 4 short low-key adverts, (for stuff I’d never have an interest in purchasing, just like TV). The delivery is fast and the quality is good. And free. Did I mention free?

NBC would never have done this without Apple pushing the networks. Thanks Apple!

(30 Rock is good too… catch up on the series… for free)

Posted by Danny on October 25, 2007 at 4:57 PM (PDT)

shooting them self in the foot….

Posted by auburnguy in ga on October 25, 2007 at 7:41 PM (PDT)

While ratings for “The Office” improved after it appeared on iTunes, it also benefitted from Steve Carell’s hit movie, “The 40-Year-Old Virgin.” While iTunes may not have been the only factor (or even the primary factor), most media analysts agree that it was a factor.

Actually, my personal experience with “The Office” shows the power of the iTunes Store.

Friends had recommended “The Office” to me, so I gave it a try one Thursday night. The episode was “The Fight,” and I didn’t find it entertaining. I didn’t connect with the characters and lost interest in the show.

When it appeared on iTunes a few weeks later, I gave it another shot, but this time I was able to go back and watch the pilot episode—and suddenly, the show made sense to me. (The pilot episodes usually do a solid job of introducing the characters and explaining the situation.) I quickly bought all of Season 1 on iTunes, and the episodes that I had already missed for Season 2.

I’ve been hooked ever since. “The Office” is one of my top 3 shows to watch each week.

Posted by BJ Nemeth on October 25, 2007 at 8:01 PM (PDT)

I apologize for knocking you all as being unaware when I was the one unaware.

I think NBC will be fine, though.

Posted by proanim8r on October 26, 2007 at 5:36 AM (PDT)