Apple nets $345 million in iPod sales; 141% increase | iLounge News

Apple nets $345 million in iPod sales; 141% increase

MacMinute reports Apple’s Friday filing of its annual report to the Securities and Exchange Commission indicates the iPod continues to be a big winner for Apple.

“Net sales of peripherals and other hardware rose $384 million or 57% during 2003 compared 2002, which follows a $287 million or 74% increase in 2002 as compared to 2001. The current year increase was primarily driven by the $202 million, or 141%, year-over-year increase in iPod net sales to $345 million. All of the Company’s operating segments experienced substantial increases in iPod net sales and unit sales during 2003. iPod sales during 2003 were favorably affected by the introduction of substantially redesigned new models, which are compatible with both Macintosh and Windows operating systems and by the Company’s introduction of its iTunes Music Store for the Macintosh operating system in April 2003. The Company’s iPod digital music player is sold by a variety of resellers, many of which do not currently market the Company’s Macintosh systems. The Company has expanded this distribution network during 2003, which has contributed to the current year increase in iPod unit sales of 146%.”

« 2004 Honda Accord iPod Install

iPods remain hot buy in the UK »

Comments

Of course there is a 141 % increase in sales.  I alone have bought three iPods.  Actual transcript from the offices of Apple:

“Let’s see…hmmm…How can we get poor hard working slobs to buy at least two iPods in a year?  I know let’s put a new model out every six months.  These idots will keep buying.”
“What a about a trade up deal?”
“Are you out of your mind?  How are we going to increase sales by 141% if people can trade in their old iPods for a discounted new iPod?”
“You are right.  How stupid of me.”
“Even better, make the battery last only one year.  We are brillant!!!!”

Posted by Steve on December 21, 2003 at 7:25 AM (CST)

Well, like it or not, planned obsolesence is something every American corporation has and will continue to engage in whenever it is afforded the opportunity.

The bottom line is, if you don’t like it, outcompete it.  And not just on paper - in every aspect.  Hipness, popularity and fashion as well as design as well as features.  On top of all that, add a better battery, and you’ve given Apple market incentive to improve.

Come up with something better, or buy what you feel is a better alternative.  Those are your options if you want to see a real change.  Simply whining will not affect anything.

Posted by Richard Roe on December 21, 2003 at 9:26 AM (CST)

steve, you complain, but you still bought 3 ipods. :)

Posted by wfbberzerker in Whitefish Bay, WI on December 21, 2003 at 10:16 AM (CST)

I don’t understand what people have against Apple making newer and better versions of the iPod. This process is applicable to every device on the market. Say you were to buy a new computer, and six months later its obsolete. What computer manufacturer in the world would give you a trade-up deal?

The fact is, every product will eventually be upgraded, and if you MUST keep up with the newest device, then you lose money, always. The iPod is of no exception, and it is not fair to single Apple out on practices like this. Under the logic that a trade-up deal is absolutely madatory, no manufacturer of electronic devices would ever innovate and come up with newer versions of their products, because people will whine about not having the newest device, and if they did innovate and come up with a newer device, then they would lose a lot of money.

Let’s face it, all electronic devices lose value over time. The only way to avoid this loss is to stay out of this market. Go invest in antiques or something.

Posted by Sraphim on December 21, 2003 at 10:25 AM (CST)

I’ve bought 3, too!  ;)  And I will gladly accept new versions coming out as often as they can do it (without putting out crap).  I have no need to be ‘the newest’ just for the sake of being ‘the newest.’

I pay the money that I find to be acceptable for what I get at that time… and that doesn’t change when something else comes out.

Posted by azdude_15gb on December 21, 2003 at 11:34 AM (CST)

The iPod battery lasts more than a year, on average. Don’t buy in to all the shit floating around the Intarweb lately. You’re just hearing a small but VERY whiny^H^H^H^H^Hvocal section of users.

Posted by huy2 on December 21, 2003 at 1:18 PM (CST)

I have 1st and 2nd generation iPods (23 and 12 months old respectively) and they are both going strong.  When Apple produces the 4th generation iPod, I’ll be ready to buy another!

Posted by Larry on December 21, 2003 at 3:10 PM (CST)

Aw man. I feel left out—I only bought two! I have a first-generation 5GB model, and a second-generation 10GB model. I *want* one of the 40GB models, but that’s going to have to wait a while.

For what it’s worth, both of mine are goin’ strong. :)

Posted by Bryan on December 21, 2003 at 4:09 PM (CST)

I have a 1st gen 10GB iPod. Apple keeps coming out with firmware updates for the 1st gen iPods, so I’m happy. I don’t have notes or on-the-go playlists, but I have had other features added since I bought it. That’s more than I can say for other manufacturers.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on December 21, 2003 at 4:49 PM (CST)

I was really ticked when, less than a year after I bought one, Ford came out with a new Explorer model. I figured that I would at least be eligible for a free upgrade. Guess what? They told me that if I wanted a new car I’d have to buy it. Sheesh!

Posted by Lynn Davison on December 21, 2003 at 5:58 PM (CST)

Steve, you can’t blame Apple for Lithium-Ion battery technology.

Posted by KenC on December 21, 2003 at 6:53 PM (CST)

I’ve bought 2. An original 5 GB iPod and recently a 40.  I gave the old one to my SO, and she is stoked about it.  It also made it easier to justify the new one.

Posted by Slugster on December 21, 2003 at 6:53 PM (CST)

this is really old news.  the Fiscal year for Apple ended on Sept 30.

Posted by David Foreman on December 21, 2003 at 8:49 PM (CST)

David: Apple’s fiscal year ended Sept 30, but the filing that contained these details didn’t come out until Friday.

Imagine what this quarter will look like!

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on December 22, 2003 at 4:53 AM (CST)

I am sure it will be a blowout.  I am buying more shares but I am puzzled why the stock keeps falling. Ipods are sold out all over the east coast in Best Buy Stores and Target is sold out.  25 million songs sold.
The only question is how are the G-5’s selling and what will Jobs anounce at Mac World Expo?

Posted by David Foreman on December 22, 2003 at 5:00 AM (CST)

are there any music fans in here? or only fans of a corporation that needs suckers like us to buy into their gimmick - u guys arent any more special than the next person having an ipod - i do love my ipod but know that most likely in a year there will be a better player than apple.  they dont hold a core compentency or some secret patent!!! Come on now - it plays mUSIC!  its not like u guys have undying love for ur SOny tvs(best tvs) - when Toshiba makes just as good tvs - Are u guys soo fruity about the latest dvd player that hits the market? - this is fad that will die when more players hit the market that exceed apple (a trendy company) - sorry no real point but kissing apples butt is strange -

Posted by gabe on December 22, 2003 at 10:18 AM (CST)

“No real point” is right.

This is a site designed for iPod fans.  It should *not* surprise you (or bother you) that it is populated by iPod fans.

You’re right—you don’t see product-exclusive fan sites for many products.  Perhaps you could realize that this is a testament to the quality of Apple’s products.

Now.  Let this die, and let’s get back on topic.

Admin—When do we go member-only comments?!?

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on December 22, 2003 at 10:54 AM (CST)

“When do we go member-only comments?!?”

Here here!

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on December 22, 2003 at 11:52 AM (CST)

WAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by gabe on December 22, 2003 at 2:14 PM (CST)

You are all correct in your comments.  I agree.  That Ford Explorer comment was witty.  I just wanted to complain that is all.  Besides no one turns in their car after a year.  If all of sudden Ford annouced that they are coming up with a 2004 and 1 /2 model that gets 100 miles to the gallon and will never rot or break down you would want to but a new one.  Also, the 15 gig and the 30 gig were maybe a few months old when they discontinued them and came out with a 20 and 40 gig.  To me that sucks.  399 for a 30 gig iPod and in a few months it is outdated?  Despite my complaing I will be buying a PVP 4th gereration iPod (but I won’t be happy)!!  HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Steve

Posted by Steve on December 22, 2003 at 5:17 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >