Apple: New iPod shuffle still on track for October release | iLounge News

Apple: New iPod shuffle still on track for October release

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, October 18, 2006
News Categories: iPod shuffle

image

During Apple’s fourth quarter conference call, Apple chief operating officer Tim Cook reaffirmed that the second-generation iPod shuffle would ship to customers and stores before the end of the month.

“We will ship by the end of October,” Cook said, later adding, “We’re excited to get shipments underway in a couple weeks.” Cook said customer reception was excellent and that “demand [for iPods generally] accelerated significantly after the launch,” adding that “it was that acceleration that allowed us to exceed expectations for the quarter.”

Apple introduced the new shuffle at a special event on September 12th. The shuffle, which Apple calls “the world’s smallest digital music player,” features an all-new aluminum design and is roughly half the size of the original shuffle. It offers 1GB of storage and sells for $79.

« Microsoft: Apple to blame for Windows virus

Apple ships 8.7 million iPods during Q4 »

Comments

See the picture… it has the OLD headphones! What’s up with that!

Posted by johnnay. on October 18, 2006 at 3:25 PM (PDT)

Arn’t these on sale already?? i saw someone on the train with one in australia??

Posted by Huhness on October 18, 2006 at 4:39 PM (PDT)

no, it’s not out yet. Apple store employee said it will be available last week of October to first week November at retail store. of course, online store, too.

Posted by edward on October 18, 2006 at 5:07 PM (PDT)

maybe you saw an apple radio remote

Posted by johnnay. on October 18, 2006 at 5:24 PM (PDT)

haha Johnnay, thats hilarious that it has the old headphones, i checked the Apple site…same deal, its got the old headphones.

I duno how they missed that, because it does come with the new ones…can’t wait for mine to come, I ordered Sept. 22

Posted by Brad on October 18, 2006 at 5:32 PM (PDT)

I hope thats not the case, the new headphones are great!

Posted by johnnay. on October 18, 2006 at 5:46 PM (PDT)

weird, I swear I saw a girl with one of these new iPod shuffles clipped to her side bag on 3rd Street. I just assumed it was already out then.

Posted by Andrew on October 18, 2006 at 7:09 PM (PDT)

I can’t get the Apple headphones to stay in, especially when running.  You all seem really excited about them, but I can’t tell the difference between the models.  Both fall out just the same.  Haha.  I replaced them with Philips Flight headphones, and I’m even thinking those funky green Sennheiser Sport headphones since the Flights are being made anymore.

Posted by Anonymous on October 18, 2006 at 7:26 PM (PDT)

I just hope they ship them in the order they were received.  I ordered mine on Sept. 13th.  I’ve been without an iPod for six weeks.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on October 18, 2006 at 8:14 PM (PDT)

Nope it wasnt a remote it was for sure a new shuffle i was staring at it for a while.. i thought they were out early october? oh well i will keep an eye out for this guy again..

Posted by Huhness on October 18, 2006 at 9:18 PM (PDT)

I’m sure that it’s an old photo with old headphones. I would be very surprised if it didn’t ship with the new ones. All a bit moot for me, though, as I intend to use a pair of Sony MDR-EX71’s without the extension cable. Should look really good clipped to my shirt collar.

I ordered mine on 13 Sep. and my Apple Store Australia account says “Estimated Shipped By 31 Oct. 2006, Estimated Delivered By 3 Nov. 2006”. I am so impatient to get this. I bought a new Nano but the Shuffle was the one that I really got excited about.

Posted by Japester on October 18, 2006 at 11:02 PM (PDT)

it’s very very very nice

Posted by elgonzalo on October 19, 2006 at 1:46 AM (PDT)

It looks pretty slick, although I hope they continue to sell the first generation shuffles. The direct USB connection was the reason I picked one up. smile

Posted by Arkonnan on October 19, 2006 at 4:35 AM (PDT)

There is most definitely someone in Sydney with one of them. My guess is they know someone at Apple. either that or some clever manufacturer has brought out a clone - and I highly doubt tbat.

Posted by someone on October 19, 2006 at 5:57 AM (PDT)

The new earphones are an improvement, but not by much.

Posted by mflat5 in USA on October 19, 2006 at 6:18 AM (PDT)

Japester—I’m in agreement with you on all counts.  I also purchased the second gen nano, but I’m much more excited about this Shuffle.  It’s kind of funny because a 4 gig nano has so many more features than the Shuffle, and it’s still so small that the ‘pocket fit’ variance is negligible.  I think we’re just stoked about the clip!

Posted by andrew Chasnoff on October 19, 2006 at 6:45 AM (PDT)

I’m holding off on this shuffle, 1G is just not enough storage for shuffling, it would need to be emptied and filled every 2 or 3 days and that’s just too time-consuming.  2G would be better,  4G would be perfect IMO.

Posted by Dave K on October 19, 2006 at 7:51 AM (PDT)

Checked my order status shipped on the 31st delivered by the 1st of novemeber i just wish they would hurry up as im really looking forward to getting mine.

Posted by Johnathan on October 19, 2006 at 10:52 AM (PDT)

yah taking the shuffle and putting a plug in it, then clicking autofill is just way too time consuming.

Posted by Tad on October 20, 2006 at 1:45 AM (PDT)

Thanks for your input Tad!

I have 10,000 songs of a huge range of stuff on my system, much of which I don’t want to listen to more than about once every 6 months.  I’d rather not use Autofill or I’m going to be listening to a mix of Raffi-Andres Segovia-John Zorn-Chaka Khan-Led Zeppelin on my way to work.

2 Gigs is the bare minimum for happy shuffling IMO. I’m pretty sure Apple will release a bigger shuffle soon enough, once they’ve sold enough nunanos.

Posted by Dave on October 20, 2006 at 11:54 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >