Apple now fourth-largest music reseller in U.S. | iLounge News

Apple now fourth-largest music reseller in U.S.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs said today that the iTunes Store is now the fourth-largest reseller of music in the U.S., recently passing Amazon.com. During his keynote presentation at Macworld Expo, Jobs revealed that iTunes now holds the No. 4 spot behind Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and Target. Separately, Jobs announced that more than 2 billion songs have been purchased and downloaded from the iTunes Store since it was launched in 2003.

« iPort update enhances control, video functionality

Apple still working to license iPhone trademark »

Comments

How about upgrading the Kbs on the downloads.  You can tell the diff between 128 and 192….

Posted by J T on January 9, 2007 at 7:52 PM (PDT)

Wow, Target is in the top three? And Wal-Mart? I know they’re a huge chain, but don’t they sell a lot of censored music? Do people really buy that many CDs from them?

Posted by rainking187 on January 9, 2007 at 10:49 PM (PDT)

Why does Apple seem to focus solely on lower quality content? The music compressed at a low bit rate and there are no other bit rates to choose from, now they will be selling the Apple TV and it uses 720p resolution for HD rather than 1080p or even 1080i. I would love to hear from Apple as to why they’re buisness plan is to focus exclusivly on lower quality content.

Posted by gear on January 10, 2007 at 4:34 AM (PDT)

Gear,

Most newer HDTV’s will actually upconvert the signal from 720p to 1080i or 1080p, whatever is the native resolution.  This is how my new Samsung 1080p DLP works anyways.

Posted by UnseenLlama on January 10, 2007 at 6:07 AM (PDT)

UnseenLlama,

When your TV is in 1080p does it show on the screen that it is indeed in that setting. I ask this because the only 2 components that will play TRUE 1080P are teh PS3 and the BlueRay discs. The upcoverts are just not as clear.

Posted by cooter on January 10, 2007 at 10:07 AM (PDT)

Until the iTunes Store offers 192Kbps files (or better yet, lossless), I won’t be buying anything from them.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on January 10, 2007 at 11:21 AM (PDT)

I agree with Galley. I don’t know of anyone buying songs from the Itunes store.

Posted by Timmy on January 10, 2007 at 2:27 PM (PDT)

I have only bought t.v. epis from itunes.  I love walmart downloads.  If itunes offered good quality music for 88 cents or less, I would probably buy more things from them.

Posted by ThursdayGirl on January 11, 2007 at 12:42 PM (PDT)

Yeah sure, nobody is buying songs from the iTunes Store.  Steve Jobs himself must have downloaded all 2 billion of those songs huh??

Posted by lancetx on January 11, 2007 at 7:09 PM (PDT)

I bought stuff form iTunes! I don’t care if it isn’t high quality. I can barely tell the difference anyway.

Posted by CMH on June 24, 2007 at 4:39 AM (PDT)