Apple offering refurb first-gen iPods online | iLounge News

Apple offering refurb first-gen iPods online

Apple is curiously offering a limited quantity of refurbished first-generation iPods through its online store. Although the product number—F8513LL/A—and description—which mentions a 5GB iPod for Mac—suggest the item being offered is a first-generation model, the listing page features a picture of the third-generation iPod. The units come with headphones, an iPod Power Adapter, a 2m Apple FireWire Cable, a getting started manual, a CD with iTunes and electronic documentation, and a one-year limited warranty. These refurbished first-generation iPods are available now for shipping “within 24 hours” and sell for $129. [via TUAW]

« Canadian Palm Pre ad apes Apple’s iPhone spots

Apple sued a second time over Apple TV intro [updated] »

Comments

I would like to have one, if only to display it.  Dunno, if I would spend $129 on one, though.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on August 20, 2009 at 10:30 AM (PDT)

I already have a first gen with a 20gb forth gen harddrive, for which I paid $70.

Posted by Fanman on August 20, 2009 at 10:35 AM (PDT)

Curious indeed. Just wild.

Ordered one. We’ll see what happens.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on August 20, 2009 at 10:37 AM (PDT)

I just ordered one too. I half expect it to be cancelled.

Posted by Chris on August 20, 2009 at 10:43 AM (PDT)

Wow, how will people ever stop typing “MAC” in uppercase if even Apple is doing it?

Posted by Ward on August 20, 2009 at 10:45 AM (PDT)

I got rid of a third generation to get a 5th generation a year ago.  I miss that ipod…

Posted by Ryan on August 20, 2009 at 11:07 AM (PDT)

Perhaps someone hacked the Apple Store site?

Posted by Herr Doktor on August 20, 2009 at 11:10 AM (PDT)

Who in their right mind would spend $129 to buy an 8-year old model (read: a brick) with only 5GB capacity, when one could get an iPod nano 8GB for $149?

It should sell for no more than $59.

Posted by Mythwolf in Pakistan on August 20, 2009 at 11:17 AM (PDT)

I did the chat option on the store to speak with a rep. They said it was a mistake and that they don’t actually have them available. Would have made a cool collectible though…

Posted by BT on August 20, 2009 at 11:18 AM (PDT)

I just checked and my order for one of these 5GB first generation iPods. It was changed to a 10GB iPod - it didn’t specify the generation (first or second). I decided to cancel.

Posted by Chris on August 20, 2009 at 1:41 PM (PDT)

Canceled as well, they not only changed it to a 10GB they RAISED the price from $129 to $169…uh yeah, right.

Posted by Bob on August 20, 2009 at 3:06 PM (PDT)

Just too expensive. Moreover, people seem to be having a bad time trying to get their hands on one of the units.

Posted by iLly on August 20, 2009 at 4:43 PM (PDT)

I’d have ordered one if they had them on Austrlian Store.

Posted by yinyang on August 20, 2009 at 5:47 PM (PDT)

I just saw this and I have to say this offering is odd to say the least. If this iPod is a 1G, then why have a stock photo of the 3G model? Also, why is Mac and iPod spelled in uppercase? I’m pretty sure Apple knows better than to do that. I’m also left wondering why Apple waited until now to sell these? Since they are almost 8 years old, they are probably obsolete and I would think the battery is almost dead, if it isn’t dead already. Reading this story makes me think of what the US Mint did last year (Besides liking my iPods, I’m a coin collector). They sold rolls of 2001 dated half dollars, leaving me stumped at the time. This story makes me feel the same way.

Posted by hoshieBIOTpod in Havelock, NC USA on August 20, 2009 at 8:42 PM (PDT)

Now the page is no longer is there.

Posted by Mike on August 22, 2009 at 11:26 PM (PDT)