Apple offering schools discounted 10-pack iPad bundles | iLounge News

Apple offering schools discounted 10-pack iPad bundles

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, March 19, 2010
News Categories: Apple, iPad

Apple is now offering discounted 10-pack iPad bundles to educational institutions. Mac Rumors reports that the new bundles are designed to offer minor discounts while also reducing packaging, as all ten iPads are shipped in a single box. Pricing on the bundles, which are currently available for Wi-Fi iPads only, starts at $4,790 for ten 16GB units with no AppleCare, and increases accordingly with AppleCare and higher capacities. Overall, the bundle pricing offers a $20 discount off of individual iPad units, and $40 off per iPad when purchased with AppleCare.

« Amazon, Barnes & Noble building iPad apps

Meebo update adds photo support »

Comments

Apple also offers these packaged deals for their laptops as a school district I worked for bought a bunch of low-end MacBooks via this deal.  What was stupid thought is that none of them came with DVD drives and that only 1 mini-DVI->VGA adapter came with the box, for 10 separate teachers.  $20 and $40 savings aren’t that much, and I’m really skeptical about schools adopting these since they’re so tightly locked to the iPhone OS.  The district I was at would Netbook all their labs to quickly and easily refresh the machines every so often, but you can’t netboot an iPad.  What would you need to do, sync each one to an iTunes account to Restore them?  what a PITA.

-Brian

Posted by brianbobcat on March 20, 2010 at 12:30 AM (PDT)

WTF!

What school system actually has the money to buy something extravagant for their students?!

The money SHOULD used be to buy More ESSENTIAL items like BOOKS and supplies or even PAY the teacher’s salaries!

Damn kids today are Spoiled brats and the parents and school systems are ONLY enforcing that notion!!

Posted by NO Apple on March 20, 2010 at 7:23 AM (PDT)

@NO APPLE - Although you are SORT OF right for the time being, you are missing the much bigger picture. The iPad has the POTENTIAL to replace those essential textbooks. I know that this will not be a reality for some time, so cool your jets before you attack this opinion. But, in the not too distant future, eReaders like the iPad, Kindle, etc. could replace textbooks for most applications.

As for “SPOILED brats”, I would hope that we are giving our children every opportunity to learn in the best atmosphere possible. If an eReader enhances the learning experience, I am sure most parents and teachers would gladly accept it. The cost of technology can actually be cheaper than buying numerous copies of bulky books. Not to mention the environmental advantages.

If everyone had such narrow views, we would still be riding horses to work for the duration of our 35 year life expectancy.

Posted by Mitch on March 20, 2010 at 8:04 AM (PDT)

“If an eReader enhances the learning experience, “

Oh give me a break. Only Apple could put out such tripe.

Posted by fgfgf on March 20, 2010 at 8:11 PM (PDT)

WTF is right! The school systems certainly do not have the money to buy such items and $20.00 off the list price is a pittance! Moreover, giving students access to such gadgets is a total waste—they would damage them in no time and not give a rat’s ### that the district is out the money. You should see what they do now with $80.00 textbooks. Believe me the taxpayer has better things to do with his money than squander it on students who show little regard for the property of their respective schools.

Posted by Sue on March 20, 2010 at 8:40 PM (PDT)

Besides everything already said here, I feel the iPad is a bad idea for a school. I believe this is due to the fact that the iPad is an entirly new piece of technology. While we have known for two years the qualities and quirks of the iPhone OS and the App Store, we don’t know the same about the iPad. Also would you want your school system paying $4k and up to be glorified beta testers for the iPad’s 1.0 release? If I were a teacher or parent, I wouldn’t be so happy about it.

Posted by hoshieBIOTpod in Havelock, NC USA on March 20, 2010 at 11:52 PM (PDT)

If it wasn’t for my early school teacher introducing the class to this new big clunky thing called a computer (Commodore64), I probably would not be such the enthusiast as I am today, and working in a field I so love! I am not comparing the then Commodore 64 to the now iPad mind you, just making the point that it could be the very device that inspire the next kid to dive into engineering, or IT, or becoming a developer or UI designer as he/she goes through school.

I am always amazed at the close-minded among us. My first introduction to the Commodore could be viewed as useless as all we did was take a test on it. But that experience stayed with me for a lifetime (I still have my Commodore 64 today). Now think of how many more we can do with a device like the iPad today!

Posted by dave95 on March 21, 2010 at 12:42 PM (PDT)

I do technology planning for a large school district(we have > 100,000 computers) and like many school districts we have been piloting using the iPod touch in the classroom. I’m a technologist, not an educator, so I won’t weigh in on the instructional value of the device, other than to say that throwing technology at a teacher without the proper support and training just because it is “new and engaging” is unconscionable, but I feel like I can speak to the implications and challenges of trying to adapt a popular consumer gadget to use in a k-12 classroom.

The biggest challenge and obstacle that Apple has in K12 is that the iPod ecosystem is a consumer model. It is also not a Higher ed model, where students own their own device and are conditioned to the requirement of buying their content such as textbooks.

Clarity from Apple on buying paid apps…
The biggest problem we have is getting a straight answer from Apple on how to license paid applications. We’ve asked several Apple representatives “if I buy a class set of 40 ipods, and I want to use a paid app, how many copies does the school need to buy”? The answer we have gotten back every time has been not 40, not 1, not 1 for every 5 devices, but that the question does not apply, the iPod and iTunes are consumer products and the enduser agreement is for consumers not institutions. I’ve never had a problem with Adobe, Microsoft or any other vendor telling me how many much software I need to buy to use on X number of computers.

Paying for Apps…
If Apple is going to succeed in K-12 they are going to need a different kind of payment system from the current consumer model. I doubt that any district is going to relish associating iTunes a credit card to a teacher or student’ personal iTunes account, or cutting a PO for 30 $25 iTunes gift cards and handing them out to students. Can you imagine if in order to buy 100 copies of iWorks a school had to place 100 seperate orders?

Syncing Large Numbers of iPods/iPads…
Syncing has been a challenge. While Apple sells a nice $2,400 cart to sync up to 20 ipods, it only works reliably when you sync to a Mac and not all districts are Mac based, or can justify the purchase of a Mac just for syncing iPods. Ironically, the (Bretford) cart is designed to sync the same content on up to 20 iPods, so it seems like the Apple folks that market 3rd party carts have not been talking to the Apple folks that have been answering my licensing questions.

There is potential for devices like the touch/iPad in K12 in the future, however until Apple accepts the fact that school districts are not individuals and they have to work with us to adapt a consumer product successfully for use in K12, much of the money and the potential will go to waste.

Posted by JimS on March 22, 2010 at 1:31 PM (PDT)

“Educational Institutions” can mean anything from child-care centers to Universities and Technical Institution. Yes, it is ridiculous to give iPads to K-12th grade school children but they could be useful for teachers; they are a cheap alternative to giving each instructor a whole PC. The WiFi can be very useful in smart classrooms as a remote for the projector.

Posted by Dude on March 28, 2011 at 6:01 PM (PDT)

JimS has made a very good point (I am an educator in a k-12 school district, rural and isolated). Teachers are frustrated. They have had a lot thrown at them, and everything has made them more powerful educators. iPads are the latest thing thrown at them but schools without funds don’t have the basic tools, like a powerful connection (T!) or the necessary hardward (networks) to run the technology. They also don’t have the knowledge to incororate the newest into their lesson plans.

So, here is my suggestion (I just read the licensing agreement), with every bundle the school district buys, Apple sends out one of their people to teach the schools how to use the device, help set everything in place, and trouble shoot in the schools for a week before letting everyone run with it!!! Its all great and good (I am definitely an Apple fan and have been for twenty years) to sell all these innovative products to schools and then just let them twist in the wind with technology they don’t know how to use. It benefits Apple, but in showing how the devices can help, the schools will come back again and again with more purchases.

I just don’t know why Apple never thought of this before. As was said in a previous post, its all well and good for Apple to advertise about how wonderful their product is…now put your mouth where your money is.

Posted by V on October 14, 2011 at 5:58 AM (PDT)

I can tell you for a FACT that e-books are going to be used in the classroom. The actual books are being phased out. This is because it is cheaper for schools to provide the students with an E-book and then purchase at a bulk rate the e-book rather than the textbooks. Even the curriculum salesmen are telling us that we will have to purchase these because in just a couple of years we will only have e-books available for purchase for the schools. So you people who are griping need to understand it is not for the purpose of spoiling your children (that is the parents job, if they choose to do so) it is for the sake of providing the best possible education for your children. We would hate for our children to become adults who are ignorant and do not see that technological learning is HERE and NOW. That it provides a better way for us teachers to reach ALL students and meet their learning styles, learning intelligences and and LD’s or ID’s that the student may have. If you as an adult are soooooo fearful of technology most Community colleges and a lot of high schools have programs for adults to learn how to use them. Don’t be ignorant out of fear please. Let us do our job and teach your children with the tailored for them lessons that we are taught for many years to do. This is will ensure that your child has the tools and skills necessary to become successful. Have an enlightening day and remember as long as you live you are a learner!

Posted by Get a grip on March 22, 2012 at 9:58 AM (PDT)