Apple offers discontinued iPhone 5 starting at $99/$549 | iLounge News

Apple offers discontinued iPhone 5 starting at $99/$549

Following the introduction of the iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s yesterday, Apple is selling off its stock of iPhone 5 units at $99/$199/$299 for 16GB/32GB/64GB models with a standard contract, iLounge has confirmed. The recently discontinued device will also be sold for $549/$649/$749 off contract. The prices are notably for new — not refurbished — iPhone 5 devices. It’s likely the iPhone 5 will be sold at these prices for at least the next week or so until the remainder of the stock goes back to Apple; refurbished models may well appear at even lower prices in the near future.

« iPhone 5s Touch ID won’t store fingerprint images

iLuv debuts iPhone 5c cases »

Comments

well, that’s a clear indicator of their profit margin.

Posted by fredthewhale on September 11, 2013 at 1:38 PM (PDT)

Glad I sold my year ip5 for $500 a week ago. Did have another year of AppleCare plus tho.

Posted by Incarnato on September 11, 2013 at 6:52 PM (PDT)

And the £350-£480 iPhone 5’s in the UK are available where?

Posted by AnthonyH on September 12, 2013 at 12:43 AM (PDT)

Attendants of Apple Store Chat dismiss this story as incorrect. This is the transcript of a chat session I just had:

Now Chatting with Jessica

(Apple Chat) Hello and welcome to the Apple Online Store! How may I assist you today?
(me) I did the purchase of an iPhone 5 16GB at September 6. As Apple just discontinued this phone and is selling them with a $100 discount, I would like to request a refund corresponding to this purchase?
(Apple Chat) Hi!
Apple no longer carries the 5, and is not offering any kind of discounts on this model.
They are no longer available.
(me) It says otherwise here: <TechHive article URL referring this page> “Apple’s retail stores are offering their remaining stocks of the iPhone 5 at $100 off the purchase price. That would be $99/$199/$299 for 16/32/64GB models with a cellular contract and $549/$649/$749 off-contract, respectively.”
(Apple Chat) That is not an official Apple article. The website is speculating however the information is incorrect.
There is no such discount available. The iPhioe 5c and 5s have replaced the iPhone 5
iPhone*
(me) I see. Because if there is such discount, it would make sense for me to return the iPhone that I bought online, and then buy one for less at an Apple store.
(Apple Chat) Yes, I completely understand your concern.
But currently , the 5 is just being replaced.

Posted by Adriano Ferreira on September 12, 2013 at 11:28 AM (PDT)

Well then Apple Store Chat was full of crap.  Just got my iPhone 5 64GB from Verizon yesterday for $299.

Posted by jca on September 18, 2013 at 12:47 PM (PDT)