Apple offers discounts on original iPod photo models | iLounge News

Apple offers discounts on original iPod photo models

The Special Deals section of Apple’s online store is offering the original iPod photo models at discounted prices following today’s announcement of updated models. The 40GB iPod photo is now priced at $379 (was $499) and the 60GB model is priced at $479 (was $599). Keep in mind that today’s iPod photos sell for $349 for a 30GB model and $449 for the 60GB model. However, the original iPod photos came with a number of accessories that today’s models lack—such as an Apple carrying case ($29 retail), photo Dock ($39), FireWire cable ($19), and AV cable ($19). Both the original and second-generation iPod photos ship with Apple earphones, AC adapter, and USB 2.0 cable.

« Mix: Bush, shuffle books, Louis Vuitton, iRiver, AllofMP3.com

Apple ‘continues to increase competitive gap’ with new iPods »

Comments

In my opinion Apple is moving too quick on product releases. Think how many Mini’s were sold this Holiday season (only 8 weeks ago) to now be lowered $50. If I had bought one for someone, only to have a better model announced 2 months later I would be pissed. And I don’t understand the timing…Christmas is over, Valentines Day is over….The new Mini should have come out this summer, or next fall. They are still high on the sales of the Shuffle. If the company puts out new designs every 8-12 weeks people are going to start either waiting for the deals when old product gets discontinued and the price is dropped, or not buying at all. I think it’s a fine line between making people happy and pissing people off.

Posted by schaaking in Minneapolis on February 24, 2005 at 6:18 AM (PDT)

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know what it costs Apple to make an Ipod? Thanks.

Posted by okmike in USA on February 24, 2005 at 6:37 AM (PDT)

This is ridiculous.  I just got off the phone with “support.”  I just dropped $569 (education discount) down on the iPod Photo 60G last month! And just the other day, I dropped over $3K on a new laptop and misc. AND apparently Mr. Jobs isn’t rich enough. Apple is too cheap to give people the price adjustment.  Only if you ordered it 10 days from today.  Today the EXACT same model is $150 cheaper.  That’s BS!!!  All they offered me was a $30 credit to my cc.  When I asked the so-called manager if they really cared about sustaining me as a customer, they said no.  I could take the $30 or leave it.  I am no longer a champion of Mac or its products.  I am, however, joining the class action suit against them! MAC SUCKS!!!!!

Posted by Jeero in NYC on February 24, 2005 at 6:56 AM (PDT)

Jerro - to be honest, many people are in your same situation, but that is just the nature of the beast.  Technology is always going to get better, new products are always going to come out.  Anyone who has ever owned a computer, car, tv, etc; knows that in 6 months to a year something new will be available.

Also, spending money on a laptop doesn’t entitle you to, well, squat with your iPod.  Even if you spent 3k on a computer, someone else spent twice as much on a G5 and 30’s screen.  No matter what you spent, you’re no different from any other customer.

Posted by ipod21 on February 24, 2005 at 7:47 AM (PDT)

Yeah I’m pretty darn peeved that I bought my 40GB iPod a month ago and now the one I REALLY wanted (the 60GB iPod Photo) is within my desired price range.  I’m beyond my 30-day return period from Circuit City.  I really really wish there was a atrde-up option for existing iPod owners.  In the interest of customer service, Apple should try and foster some love and offer some sort of trade-up if they reduce the price within a certain time frame.  My suggestion would be within 60 days or the original purchase.  It’s just maddening to have spent $400 on an iPod that’s A) No longer promoted by Apple, and B)Costs significantly less.

Posted by Teknojunkie in Florida on February 24, 2005 at 7:58 AM (PDT)

couple words of wisdom: buy models as soon as they’re released. that way you always get the maximum life-span. don’t wait several months. also, get the good warranties from major electronics stores, the ones that allow you to pry open the case gently, disconnect the battery, and return the unit because the battery died. you do this about a month after the new models are released to be sure you get yours replaced with the new one. not that i’ve ever done this, of course…

Posted by mrfett in Washington, D.C. on February 25, 2005 at 3:31 AM (PDT)

UK ipodloungers…  I was very disappointed that we’ve not seen the reductions on the old photos on the Apple Site as the seen on the USA site.  I’ve done a bit of fishing around and John Lewis have reduced their old 40gb standard pods to £229, old 40gb photos to £269 and old 60gb (with all the pack ins) to £329.  Available both online and instore.

Posted by ChrisMouse in Bristol, UK on February 25, 2005 at 3:43 AM (PDT)

is there any difference in any way beetween the old 40gb and 60gb and the new 30gb and 60gb

Posted by bibby in chesterfeild on February 28, 2005 at 8:55 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2