Apple offers first full-length movie on iTunes (updated, price raised) | iLounge News

Apple offers first full-length movie on iTunes (updated, price raised)

Apple is now selling what appears to be the first full-length movie on the iTunes Music Store. The movie, however, is not from a major Hollywood studio — “High School Musical” is a made-for-TV Disney Channel original movie. It’s one hour and 40 minutes in length and weighs in at 487MB in file size. Like most videos on iTunes, the movie sells for $1.99.

Update: Following its $1.99 debut on the iTunes Music Store, High School Musical has been repriced at $9.99, and apparently can no longer be found via the Search feature on the Store. This link continues to work.

« Miniot intros wooden case for 5G iPods

PodFunk offers silicone cases for 5G iPod, nano »

Comments

The length should make the people that whine about the price for shorter items happy. However, I’m sure they’ll find something else to complain about.

Posted by nosedive51 on March 14, 2006 at 11:48 AM (CST)

As soon as I saw this on my RSS feed I stopped what I was doing right away!!!!
This shows that we will be getting disney videos soon, or at least the ones that go on at 8:00 that aren’t on dvd.
This is one huge step for apple. I think we’ll be seeing alot more from here to april 1st :D

Posted by Jonathan Keim on March 14, 2006 at 11:49 AM (CST)

I think that is wonderful!  Looking forward to what comes next ... :)

Posted by Pam on March 14, 2006 at 12:15 PM (CST)

*dances the “new ipod” dance*

Posted by Saad on March 14, 2006 at 12:17 PM (CST)

likely what rumor has been around, Apple finally kick off sort of movie service but nor really. the price is nice. but I just wonder how that movie quality will be good because the file size is only 487MB which you can get encoded file from software. so guess what. the quality is not good as much as I expect. I just worry about little lower VHS quality, too. I hope that it won’t be.

Posted by edward on March 14, 2006 at 12:26 PM (CST)

We need a better video quality in order to see them on our Mac or on TV. Watching a full length movie on an iPod is not human ;)

Posted by Steph on March 14, 2006 at 12:28 PM (CST)

There’s a surprise, not available in the UK…

Posted by Colin Henderson on March 14, 2006 at 12:57 PM (CST)

Resolution?

Posted by iPodCaesar on March 14, 2006 at 1:25 PM (CST)

Full movie, sweet!!!  Only 487MB for a 1hr40 min movie means the picture quality will only be tolerable on small devices.

Posted by kdogg on March 14, 2006 at 1:45 PM (CST)

Aren’t all iTMS videos only tolerable on small devices? I wouldn’t expect them to treat feature length movies any different. At least not for now. At some point, we will get broadcast quality or even HD content from the iTMS, but it will be a format change across the board (I would think). I wouldn’t want to buy my TV shows @ a lower quality but the same price as my HD movies.

Posted by dburney on March 14, 2006 at 2:11 PM (CST)

Made-for-Disney-TV? I think I still know how to say “PASS”, so I will. When feature films get the $1.99 treatment, THEN it’ll be a real achievement.

Might make the ubiquitous soccer mom happy, though…even if the SUV ALREADY has the prerequisite built-in DVD player.

Posted by flatline response on March 14, 2006 at 2:29 PM (CST)

I just attempted to download the movie and it gives an error message stating that it is not available.

Posted by chris suydam on March 14, 2006 at 3:07 PM (CST)

Apple really should try to get videos (other than music) for the non US market. We like stuff too!

Posted by iPodG5 on March 14, 2006 at 4:02 PM (CST)

I tried to download and I got an error message stating that the movie is not available in the U.S. store

Posted by greendave21 on March 14, 2006 at 6:18 PM (CST)

Where is it?

Posted by iDaniel on March 14, 2006 at 6:30 PM (CST)

This film is absolutely ridiculous. I have no idea how it got this big.

Consider - one of the songs jumped from something like #58 to something like #5 on the Billboard charts in one week - *the biggest jump in more than 40 years*.

It seems natural that since this film is so popular it would be a good testing ground for Apple’s full-length movie downloading service - it’s bound to see a positive reception as it’s coming before the DVD, I believe.

Posted by JoshSpazJosh on March 14, 2006 at 7:05 PM (CST)

That’s Awesome but for some reason its not available for me… too bad.

Posted by Mikey_J110 on March 14, 2006 at 7:12 PM (CST)

i have it on my iPod..considering i was up late when they updated iTunes and i grabbed it up..the movie is cheesy, but its good.

i hope to see more movies soon..i mean Hollywood movies

Posted by Jesse on March 14, 2006 at 7:26 PM (CST)

Must have been only a trial. Now if you try and download it, you get an error saying it’s not available in the US. Typical of Apple to wet our appetites and not deliver…

Posted by Tim on March 14, 2006 at 8:20 PM (CST)

WOAH!!! THEY UPPED THE PRICE TO $10!!! not cool… after I got the error message earlier I tried again only to find the price marked up by $8!!! Not cool Apple, not cool!

Posted by Mikey_J110 on March 14, 2006 at 8:54 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >