Apple offers iTunes fix for Vista users | iLounge News

Apple offers iTunes fix for Vista users

Apple late Thursday posted iTunes Repair Tool for Vista 1.0, a software update that fixes iTunes issues reported by new Windows Vista users. According to widespread reports, music purchased from the iTunes Store could not be played in iTunes on the new Microsoft operating system released this week. Users reported that they received a message saying their computer was not authorized to play the purchased tracks. “The iTunes Repair Tool for Vista 1.0 will repair permissions for important files required by iTunes to play your iTunes Store purchases,” Apple states in the brief release notes.

« Disney sells 1.3 million movies on iTunes Store

V-Moda debuts earphones for (PRODUCT) RED iPod nano »

Comments

mmm….nice smooth transition of OS they’ve got going on at microsoft. correct me if i’m wrong, but somehow i suspect it wasn’t the people at apple who developed itunes for vista that stuffed up…

Posted by Nuke666 in Melbourne, Austalia on February 2, 2007 at 2:59 AM (CST)

Stop it. Apple has had plenty of problems with just their iTunes releases as of late. The blame game is over.

Posted by JWj on February 2, 2007 at 7:45 AM (CST)

Given how long Vista has been in beta, how long devs have had access to it for testing, etc., I’d be amazed if this wasn’t at least mostly Apple’s fault. It wasn’t like Microsoft just decided to roll out a major change last Friday without notifying anybody.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on February 2, 2007 at 9:07 AM (CST)

Actually, Code Monkey, it probably isn’t mostly Apple’s fault.  I’ve been running RC2 for a while, and have had no problem whatsoever in playing any music I bought from the iTunes Store on that box.

My question is how long do you think it will be before the irrational conspiracies start up about Microsoft making it difficult for iTunes to play downloaded songs in an attempt to get more people to buy Zunes?

‘Cause I’m giving it 6 hours, tops.

Posted by eD! Thomas on February 2, 2007 at 9:50 AM (CST)

Actually, it’s aliens. They are put off by our pitiful technology, and have decided to mess with us. Beware the anal probes!

Either that or God punishing us for our wicked ways!

Seriously people, if this were an issue were MS software was not quite clicking with MS software, and the fix were as simple, people would write it off completely. But since it’s Apple software not clicking with MS software; oh my God, Steve Jobs is the Devil, Bill Gates is Evil, blah blah blah!

You people sound pretty pathetic.

Posted by Conspiracy Theorist on February 2, 2007 at 10:11 AM (CST)

I actually had the opposite effect when attempting to play my purchased tracks on my new Vista install.

I consistently forget to deauthorize iTunes before I format and reinstall a new OS. So after I put Vista on my box, and authorized for the last time (all 5 spots) I went into my account, and deauthorized all 5 PCs. After doing that, my music still played!

So, I am currently enjoying my purchased tracks, AND my authorized PC’s are at 0!

Anyone else?

Posted by Xunan on February 2, 2007 at 2:03 PM (CST)

Just be glad a fix was diligently posted quicky to satisfy users….

Posted by Kevin G. Smith on February 2, 2007 at 3:22 PM (CST)

Except that, Microsoft, unlike Apple, doesn’t give a crap if something like this happens.

Have any PlaysForSure music? How’s it playing on your Zune? HAHAHAHAHA.

Apple > Microsoft. Will always be. Just no way Microsoft can catch up.

Posted by james on February 2, 2007 at 3:53 PM (CST)

you guys who keep saying apple is better, or windows is better (much fewer blowhards there) are all pretty funny.

you remind me of when i was a kid and my buddies and i would argue over haro vs. dyno bmx bikes.  you guys are no different.  well, aside from the fact that we had girls interested in us.

Posted by joe van norman on February 2, 2007 at 5:15 PM (CST)

Great, now how about releasing a REAL fix so running itunes on Vista doesn’t feel like running itunes on a 386? RC2 came out how many months ago, and yet we still see nothing from Apple other then this ‘fix’ that lets me play their overly drm’d music, the one thing that wasn’t buggy on my Vista box.

I doubt there is any kind conspiracy behind all this, but it’s very clear that compatibility for Vista is not very high on Apple’s priority list right now. I don’t really care which OS is better, I just wish the end user would stop getting caught in the middle of the argument.

Posted by johnnycashak on February 2, 2007 at 5:31 PM (CST)

My itunes on vista bluescreens my vista box whenever I try to play a TV show downloaded from itunes. Anyone else?

Posted by adam on February 2, 2007 at 7:43 PM (CST)

Mine doesn’t bluescreen, but it plays horrendously slow.  When I first installed ITunes it played fine, it just kept getting worse and worse.

As to the fix, I’ve not needed it.  Asides from being slow, all my music plays just fine.

As for the Apple > MS argument, people like you make me embarased to admit I own an apple.  I like them both.  If you know your shakespeare, you know what protesting to much really means, which I doubt you do.

B

Posted by beef on February 2, 2007 at 8:32 PM (CST)

Have any PlaysForSure music? How’s it playing on your Zune? HAHAHAHAHA.

About as well as it plays on my iPod.

Lest you forget (or continually choose to ignore), the point of this Zune business model was to create a whole new ecosystem not unlike the iPod/iTunes/iTMS juggernaut where in practice only ONE company controls the entire thing. Janus was always considered separate for the other partner vendors and hardware makers.

Posted by flatline response on February 3, 2007 at 5:19 AM (CST)

Back in the old days (Win 3.0-3.1) there was a phrase, “Windows ain’t done ‘til Lotus won’t run”. It doesn’t take much imagination to change the names. Why should we think it’s any different now, knowing how much the two companies like each other?

Posted by brokerman on February 5, 2007 at 10:47 AM (CST)

my itunes on vista plays 1000 times better then windows media player and thats is every time because media player from get go keeps doing things with music and itunes from the get go worked 100% good

Posted by kool_kid on February 8, 2007 at 4:31 AM (CST)

This is clearly an attempt by Apple to flex a little muscle against what will prove to be another comercially successful OS from Microsoft.  Since music playing trinkets are the only area where Apple has anything close to a Monopoly, they are leveraging it to try to convert more users over to Macs.  Wow, sounds just like the pre-DOJ anti-trust Microsoft tactics.  Too bad Apple is afraid to compete as an Operating System vendor for third party hardware; it would be nice to see if they would be able to compete with MS if they actually had to work productively with other companies.  Plus, it might be worth running OS X on a machine that was much cooler than the boring Apple hardware.

Posted by Billy on February 9, 2007 at 4:45 AM (CST)

i blue scree when trying to play a video on itunes…

Posted by cp on February 11, 2007 at 4:04 AM (CST)

when will itunes be compatible to vista

Posted by andrew on February 24, 2007 at 3:41 PM (CST)

I’m wanting to know itunes is going to work with a lab top that came with vista when I try downloading the itunes to it. I know it has a system in place to help windows with 2000 and XP but what about the ones that came with vista’s on the do I down load the regulare itunes then do up grads or do I just do the update the have for vista

Posted by Steven L. on February 24, 2007 at 4:29 PM (CST)

HELP. I just bought a new hp computer with vista ultimate and cannot burn cds from itunes . hp wants to charge me $69.99 to fix this. does anyone know how to. It does not recognize my software. hp says use roxio or pay up! What a scam for vista

Posted by Patricia Dowling on September 25, 2007 at 10:46 AM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >