Apple offers Lost, Desperate Housewives Season Passes | iLounge News

Apple offers Lost, Desperate Housewives Season Passes

Apple has added Season Pass options for both of ABC’s top shows — “Lost” and “Desperate Housewives.” iTunes Music Store customers now have the option of buying a $34.99 Season Pass for either of the shows, which includes all past episodes from the current season as well as future episodes that will download automatically. The Season Pass price will provide a discount of around $15 compared to buying the episodes individually for $1.99. Apple has previously sold older seasons of shows for a discount if purchased all at once. For example, the entire first season of “Lost” consists of 25 episodes and can be purchased for $34.99. The Season Pass feature debuted with the addition of NCAA Division I men’s basketball tournament games to the iTunes store.

« iHome reveals iH52, iH7 iPod speaker systems

Geneva iPod speaker systems now shipping »

Comments

Apple’s defaintly on the right track with this. Convienance and a discounted price. They are giving you more for less :( sweet deal. I’d never buy a drm video from apple, buy for my gf who can’t grasp the concept of drm this is great news smile

Posted by Glorybox3737 on March 28, 2006 at 12:43 PM (PDT)

Once in my life I would like to see an iLounge comments area free of whining about DRM. You don’t like drm we get it. The bottom line is you can either download music and videos with drm or you download nothing. Simple as that. Without drm there would be no iTunes Music Store.

And if you download through file sharing your stealing.

Posted by nosedive51 on March 28, 2006 at 1:01 PM (PDT)

Cool ... now just bring on Grey’s Anatomy!  smile

Posted by Pam on March 28, 2006 at 1:04 PM (PDT)

Sweet, I hope they offer this for Weeds and other Showtime/HBO titles.  This could be an alternative to subscribing for one show.

Posted by David on March 28, 2006 at 1:06 PM (PDT)

My problem with the iTunes shows is the quality.  I don’t mind paying, but I’m not interested in paying for a show that isn’t watchable on my computer.  The quality is so bad.  On the other hand, those “illegal downloads” look so much better, either because of a better codec or just a bigger file size.  Yes, I understand that you don’t need a big file for playing on the iPod, but it would be nice for those of us that would buy it for watching on our computers and who don’t have 5G ipods.  And what is really frustrating is that apple knows this.  That’s why they’ve started streaming movie trailers in high def, in three different sizes, so that people will start using their “Front Row” software.  Front Row would be a lot more useful if you could sit down and watch a TV show instead of movie trailers.

Posted by BrettB on March 28, 2006 at 1:39 PM (PDT)

Nosedive. DRM sucks and I have the right to say whatI feel about it. You don’t mind it fine. But I’ll speak out about it every chance I get.  If no one spoke out about it then people wouldn’t think it was a problem. I fight drm in two ways. Not supporting it and speaking out about it.

P.S. I’d also like to see a post where people didn’t automatically associate a dislike with drm and stealing. It’s not the same. If don’t you remember, itunes and other music stores aren’t the only way to get music legally. lol

Posted by Glorybox3737 on March 28, 2006 at 1:46 PM (PDT)

Cheaper is definitely better, but I still think the better alternative is watching the shows as they air (Tivo it if you have one) and buying the DVD at the end of the season if you feel you must own the show.

And, I agree with BrettB that the quality has to go up.  ITMS videos look ok on the iPod, but terrible on a laptop when you blow it up.  HD would be the way to go.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on March 28, 2006 at 1:51 PM (PDT)

Posts like Glorybox’s first one make me think that iLounge needs a grammar check for comments

Posted by Danny on March 28, 2006 at 1:59 PM (PDT)

“If no one spoke out about it then people wouldn’t think it was a problem.”

Well… most people obviously don’t.  Just the whiners like yourself.  If you don’t like it, don’t buy it.  Simple as that.

Anyway, This is a really cool addition.  I would definitely want to get the pass for LOST, but I’ve already bought 6 of the episodes.  Is it not fair to expect some kinda discount, that I know I won’t get?  It’s really late into the season to be adding that now.  Any dedicated LOST fan makes sure to stay kept up, and there’s only 9 episodes left.  So it would only cost about $18 to buy the rest by themselves… why pay $35?

If it’s still available next season I’ll definitely be getting it from the start though.

Posted by LilAlienD in Maryland on March 28, 2006 at 2:06 PM (PDT)

first things first, I LOVE LOST!!

secondly, its so amusing to see people get so caught up in this little DRM war…i dont really like the idea but i learn to live with

i bought the whole first season of lost from iTunes for the $35 and i was okay with it. and so far i own every episode of the second season so i agree with LilAlienD

this whole video deal in the iTMS is just evolving…its barely half a year old…i hope to see progress from such a company as apple.

also, if the videos dont look to good full screen on your computer you can always make the resolution for your computer smaller…for something i paid two dollars for, it looks just fine on my computer…or you could just buy the dvds or tivo it and whatnot to watch it on your computer…apple is not the center of the universe believe it or not…

thats my input if anybody cares…  =D

Posted by biggest lost fan EVER on March 28, 2006 at 3:25 PM (PDT)

I know I could just watch it on TV or whatever.  My point was that I would be much more inclined to give Apple my $2 if I could actually watch the stupid thing.  Furthermore, one of the main arguments Apple has made for itunes is that it is a legal alternative to file sharing.  With music, this is true.  The quality between mp3s you could download free and the aac files iTunes sells is about the same.  Not so with video.  The illegal downloads available online are 2 to 3 times higher quality than those sold on iTunes.  The experience isn’t even as good as the ones they sell.  That is a real problem for Apple if you ask me.  I’m not saying it makes the “illegal” downloads ok, I’m just saying that if Apple’s purpose is to compete with illegal downloads, they’re doing a poor job in the video category.

Posted by BrettB on March 28, 2006 at 3:40 PM (PDT)

It’s post like Danny’s that make me think people are to anal. Don’t get all pissy just cause someone doesn’t like your drm filed itunes. You enjoy it, then buy it. Don’t get mad at me cause I refuse to give up ownership and let corporations make the rules.

Posted by Glorybox3737 on March 28, 2006 at 4:03 PM (PDT)

How great it is to buy the lower quality version for about the same price as the high quality dvd. Not to mention you can also rip the dvd to your computer in iPod format or divx or xvid or any other format you want it in. But yes, I guess nobody should complain about this. Nobody should ever complain about anything. If you don’t like it just don’t use it right? What a great mind you are.

Hint, if you don’t like it, don’t get it AND complain about it. It’s the only way these companies will get the hint that offering lower quality products at a higher price shouldn’t be done. I guess all the brainless apple fanbois won’t care though. Have fun with your lower quality, higher price and restricted access video file.

Posted by Victor on March 28, 2006 at 4:40 PM (PDT)

320x240 DRM’d, low-quality collection of episodes which you can only watch using iTunes or a 5G iPod-$35
Whatever NTSC resolution is (can’t remember, much higher than 320x340 anyways), high quality collection of episodes which you can watch on TV, rip onto your computer using whatever quality settings you want, put on whatever portable video player you have, backup incase something happens the orginal discs-~$50.
I don’t know about anyone else but to me that’s a no brainer.  The only reason I’d ever use the iTunes store is if I missed an episode and needed to watch it before next weeks one aired.

And if people don’t like DRM they are entitled to complain about it.  You live in a free, democratic country.

Posted by Bill on March 28, 2006 at 5:18 PM (PDT)

$35 for the first season of Lost??

funny, I got the DVD set for $30(including shipping) brand new on ebay.

Posted by EM on March 28, 2006 at 5:27 PM (PDT)

$30?  Here in Ireland we have two sets, episodes 1-12 and 13-24 at 50euro each, with the full set costing 80 in the shops…
I’ve being stung on eBay once too many to buy DVDs on it again.

Posted by Bill on March 28, 2006 at 5:32 PM (PDT)

why pay anything for something thats free on TV?  Blockbuster and Netflix have the old seasons on DVD and setting a (shutter) VCR really isn’t that difficult and the cable’s DVR is even easier so why pay?......

cheapToast

=:-{|

my Mac has built in speel checx

Posted by Xtoast in midwest usa on March 28, 2006 at 6:32 PM (PDT)

South Park also has a season pass.

Posted by mjmoonwalker on March 28, 2006 at 7:52 PM (PDT)

people have to realize that there are various reasons for the low resolution in the Videos/tv shows, partly it is because higher quality is bigger size/more bandwidth.
But also don’t forget it is the TV networks providing the TV shows and maybe they’re afraid the DRM might get cracked and they wouldn’t mind as much if it’s low resolution version.
If itunes sold standard 640x480 resolution videos and the DRM got cracked I’m sure they would get pissed.  This segment of the iTunes model is still new, so tv networks (and maybe movie studio) are still cautous so this is probably Apple’s best compromise to get SOMETHING out to the consumer right now.

Baby steps.  Isn’t incremental successful steps much better than trying to do too much at once and having everything fall apart?

Posted by keyMACer on March 28, 2006 at 8:57 PM (PDT)

Now, if they could just get Scrubs added to iTunes…

Posted by Lee on March 28, 2006 at 9:27 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >