Apple offers Personal Shopping service | iLounge News

Apple offers Personal Shopping service

image

Apple is offering a new service called Personal Shopping at its retail stores. It is described by Apple as a “free service where you and a dedicated Mac Specialist explore and test-drive products to find out which ones are best for you.” This face-to-face experience is meant to provide undivided attention for customers who have more questions than the typical sales experience can answer. Personal Shopping is currently available at Apple retail stores, and appointments can be made online up to two weeks in advance.

« Apple in talks with Samsung over large NAND flash purchase

Steve Jobs pens update on Apple’s environmental policy »

Comments

If I drop $2K on a computer, I had better get undivided attention from a salesperson without having to make some Personal Shopping appointment. I think the answer is staffing up their stores, not creating more hurdles for customers.

If I want to be ignored I’ll just go to Circuit City.

Posted by Scott on May 2, 2007 at 5:10 PM (CDT)

yeah, but Scott, you could easily spend $2000 anywhere else and be treated like crap anyway.  Apple is just trying to create a different approach to retail.  You don’t have to sign-up to get the one on one help, but it’s an option.  besides, it can be set-up on demand when you arrive at the store.  So I don’t really see the problem with this new stratagy.

Posted by MatrixSJD on May 2, 2007 at 5:45 PM (CDT)

This is just a renamed ProCare agreement, made to give customers less for their money.

Posted by EODMaple on May 2, 2007 at 10:17 PM (CDT)

It seems kind of pointless to announce this “new” service.

I don’t know about everyone else, but whenever I walk in the Apple store, there’s already at least 5 taskless employees ready to ask me if I need help.

Posted by illegalattempt on May 2, 2007 at 10:57 PM (CDT)

EODMaple, actually personal shopping has nothing to do with procare at all, you’re thinking of one to one and procare being separated,  personal shopping is brand new.

Posted by MatrixSJD on May 3, 2007 at 12:20 AM (CDT)

I agree with illegalattempt. I don’t know how many times I’ve walked into an apple store in Austin,Tx (there are now 2) and there are at the VERY least 5-7 employees just standing around asking people if they need help. I’d say that 90% of the people that walk into the apple store just walk in to mess with iPods/Mess with photobooth

Posted by Shiv on May 3, 2007 at 12:45 PM (CDT)

Customer service…what a radical idea?

Posted by coprock on May 3, 2007 at 1:47 PM (CDT)

Shiv, I think it varies by location, like the apple store I work for we’re mostly always busy, but others around here aren’t always.  So this new idea is pretty should help, at least at some locations.

Posted by MatrixSJD on May 3, 2007 at 2:54 PM (CDT)

Scott…good luck going to an Apple Store and spending only $2,000!

Posted by UKnowItsTrue on May 3, 2007 at 3:24 PM (CDT)