Apple offers refurb iPod minis | iLounge News

Apple offers refurb iPod minis

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, March 10, 2006
News Categories: Deals

imageApple has added several refurbished iPod minis to its online store. Apple is currently offering first-generation 4GB minis in silver, blue, pink and green for $149. The company also has a stock of second-generation 4GB models in silver, blue and green for $159.

The second-generation mini offers 18 hours of battery life (compared to the original’s 8), color-matching icons on the device’s click wheel, and ship without a FireWire cable or AC adapter, which were both included with the first-generation model. The iPod mini was discontinued with the introduction of Apple’s iPod nano in September 2005.

« Koyono iPod-ready outerwear available for order

Mix: Billionaires, iPod arcade, 2006 SXSW, CD sales »

Comments

Bring back the iPod mini, bring back the iPod mini, bringbacktheiPodmini….

Well, a girl can hope.

Posted by Volkova on March 10, 2006 at 10:08 AM (PDT)

when the Nano was launched I was expecting a Ipod Mini with COLOUR screen.. I like the Ipod Mini Form factor a lot. Most people I see on the subway in Toronto are people with Ipod Mini and Shuffles. Shuffles as a local bank here did a promo with them in 2005.

Posted by psxp on March 10, 2006 at 10:42 AM (PDT)

iPod minis are the best single product Apple ever made.  If the mini form with the metal body could hold 10 or 20GB and had a color screen it would be the ultimate mp3 player.

Posted by stark23x on March 10, 2006 at 11:42 AM (PDT)

If they release a 6gb or 10gb iPod mini with a color screen I will sell my soul and buy it the second I can get my hands on one.

Posted by Victor on March 10, 2006 at 1:19 PM (PDT)

Why not in spain? joderrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Posted by elgonzalo on March 10, 2006 at 2:15 PM (PDT)

same here, if they’d release an updated mini with at least 8gb space and the same aluminum body i’d be the first one who orders one - no matter how much it costs.

Posted by mike on March 10, 2006 at 3:17 PM (PDT)

I still like my 1G Silver Mini for the gym rather than my 5G.

But if the Nano was available at 8 GB, I would be all over it.

Flash is better than HDD.

Posted by wco81 in West Coast on March 10, 2006 at 5:13 PM (PDT)

I love my Nano!

Posted by Oliver on March 10, 2006 at 11:30 PM (PDT)

I’ve been saying this for the longest time.  Give me an 8GB Nano.  That is all I ask.  I am hoping Apple comes out with one next month.  The gap between 4GB and 30GB is too big.  I don’t care if it’s upwards of $300.  It is all I need…

Posted by Sean on March 11, 2006 at 2:00 AM (PDT)

nano rocks…well, except for the subversive click wheel. And the scratching. The Mini’s wheel is far better to work with. And aluminum beats plastic any day. Just needed a color screen. And a FAR BETTER battery.

Off-top, but since I just recharged one of our ever-drainin’ Minis: I don’t get it…I can leave my Nintendo DS alone for over TWO months, and yet it still has plenty of charge to play with for several hours before the power indicator will even move off full. It has a clock. It has a calendar. It has TWO LCD screens. But with our older iPods…even when new their batteries would drain to nothing in days. Even with my 5G it drains in just over a week when off the charger, and I only use the thing occasionally off-dock these days, so the battery’s typically fully juiced. Horrible for something that’s only 6 months old, and that has never been heavily used. (Of course, if this were a Sony site I’d be complaining about the PSP’s lame battery just as vehemently, but at least there I can easily change that one out…)

Apple, can we get a BETTER battery supplier here, and not just settle for low bidder?

Posted by flatline response on March 11, 2006 at 3:04 AM (PDT)

Flatline:
Doesn’t the DS use a different type of battery?
I’m not into the technology of all this, but imsure theres adifference between the two batteries.

Saying that though…why DOES the ipod lose its charge?

Posted by Dan Nicholls on March 11, 2006 at 6:43 AM (PDT)

>>Saying that though…why DOES the ipod lose its charge?

because it’s not really off when you shut it off, just in sleep mode.

Posted by fronch on March 11, 2006 at 7:43 AM (PDT)

nano, Nano! down with the mini. out of date by FAR!! if thier conna update somthing, do the nano. all in all, minis stink

Posted by LawnBoy on March 11, 2006 at 10:38 AM (PDT)

>>all in all, minis stink

Why?  Because in terms of “megabyte-per-dollar” they were cheaper than the Nano?  Because they have better battery life than the Nano?  Because they don’t show scratches nearly as easily as the Nano?  Because they don’t feel like you can fold them in half with your bare hand?  Well, thank you for showing me the light.  I guess Minis really DO stink.

Jeez, I should follow my own advice and not feed the trolls…

Posted by Jeff on March 11, 2006 at 3:25 PM (PDT)

I wouldn’t have a problem with an iPod nano with an aluminum body. However, with the mini form factor I could have a 11GB hard drive whereas the nano would only give me 6GB or something.

The battery advantage should become even bigger, since the new hard drives need much less juice and less space, which would allow an even better battery. The 2G mini was released a year ago, so there has been big improvement since then in terms of battery and smaller internal parts as well.

Let’s hope Apple will release a new mini alike iPod smile

Posted by stevey on March 11, 2006 at 9:12 PM (PDT)

Doesn’t the DS use a different type of battery?

Both iPods and the DS use Li-Ion battery technology. However, Nintendo states that they use some sort of low-draw sleep mode when the unit is off. But still…two months sitting there untouched and the thing STILL has a solid charge (indicated full) and the clock and date was dead-on right, where our iPods’ batteries keep draining even when they’re sitting there unused.

Posted by flatline response on March 11, 2006 at 10:18 PM (PDT)

Jeff,

$/mb is irrelevent because the nano and mini’s are completely different form factors.  If they were exactly the same, the comparison might be useful, but it’s meaningless since they aren’t.  To some people, size is more important than capacity, me included.

Battery is worse because the nanos are less than half the weight and have a much smaller volume.  Have you seen the size of the battery?  It’s tiny.  Of course it’s going have less juice.

Yes the nano scratches easier.  Just throw an Invisible Shield on it and it looks brand new.  Mine still does and it’s almost 6 months old.

Have you actually held a nano?  They are very durable.  There is no way you are going to “fold” one in half.

Posted by mtnagel in Cincinnati, OH on March 12, 2006 at 3:23 PM (PDT)

they should just update the nano with the option to have it in its current form factor, or have it encased in the metal like the mini… like a mini the size of a nano. that would sort out the scratches, breakability and design at least. as for battery life, itll get better. it always does. i wouldnt be surprised if it was 20 hours+ next time they upgrade it.

Posted by Louis on March 12, 2006 at 3:29 PM (PDT)

i love my 2G blue iPod mini. the metal body and the colour choices rock and .... ive had it for a year and the screen is in mint condition! if apple upgraded the mini, i’d get it for sure. more space would be good, along with a colour screen. if they made it thinner/lighter, it would be the ultimate player. dont care about video too much. >>iPOD MINI FOREVER<<

Posted by paolo on March 12, 2006 at 4:16 PM (PDT)

mtnagle,

I respect your opinion.  I suppose it comes down to “different strokes for different folks”.

I stand by my megabytes-per-dollar argument.  You’re correct, they are different form factors.  But the Nano REPLACED the Mini.  If they had released the Nano and kept the Mini in the product line at the same time, then I could buy your statement that $/mb is irrelevant.  I look at my iPod Mini as a music player, nothing more, nothing less.  It doesn’t bother me that it doesn’t have a color screen, since the only time I even look at the screen is when I’m selecting what to play.  Yes, a screen is important (that’s why I didn’t buy a Shuffle).  But for ME, a color screen is a frivolus add-on and not worth paying a premium for.  For me, the Mini was just a better value than the Nano.  But that’s just me.

I understand fully that if I put a Nano in a protective case from day one, it would probably look just as nice as the day I bought it.  But Apple had it right with the Mini.  They HAD a material and a coating that was very resistant to scratching, yet they tossed that away with the Nano.  So now I have to spend extra money to buy a case to protect it?  Hopefully you can see my argument that that’s a step backwards.  My Mini is nearly one year old.  5 days a week it goes from my house to my pocket, to my car, back to my pocket, to my work, back to my pocket, back to my car, back to my pocket again and finally back to my house.  To date it doesn’t have one noticable scratch on it, and it is not in any case.  And just so you know, yes, I understand that scratches, on a Mini OR a Nano, will not effect its ability to do its job.  Namely, to play music.

Yes, I HAVE held a Nano.  My brother has one.  I have rather large hands and for that reason the Nano FEELS fragile to me.  The Mini, to me, FEELS much more solid.  I’m certain one is no more or less fragile than the other in the hand.  As a matter of fact, the Nano is probably going to survive a drop on concrete better than the Mini would, but again, I’m talking about the perception of feel here.  Because the Mini is thicker and heavier than the Nano, it feels more comfortable in my hand, and that’s important to people with big hands.

I guess the bottom line here is, “to each, his own”.  And again, I respect your opinion.

Posted by Jeff on March 12, 2006 at 4:39 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >