Apple offers upgrade to 15GB iPod due to iPod mini delay | iLounge News

Apple offers upgrade to 15GB iPod due to iPod mini delay

A MacSlash reader is reporting that Apple has notified him that his iPod mini is delayed and will not ship on the estimated date, and is offering an upgrade to a 15GB iPod at no additional charge.

“The demand for the iPod mini has been incredible. We are shipping them as quickly as possible, but we cannot meet the ship date we previously estimated for you. We now expect to ship your iPod mini in three weeks. If we do not hear from you prior to shipment, we will assume the revised date is acceptable, and will ship your order. We apologize for any inconvenience.  Your business is very important. If you would like an iPod sooner, we are offering to replace your iPod mini with a 15GB iPod at no additional charge.  This model usually ships within 24 hours.”

« Handmade iPod Cozies

Apple looking into iPod mini audio problem »

Comments

Where are all those people who said that Apple had priced the mini too high, and that everyone would buy the 3G 15GB iPod instead?  It looks like you had it exactly backwards.  Apple is selling minis faster than it can make them, but it obviously has enough 15GB’s lying around (i.e., unsold), that it is trying to pawn them off as a boobie prize.  Steve Jobs is a genius.

Posted by rich on April 13, 2004 at 12:27 PM (CDT)

That doesnt mean the mini isnt priced too high…its just a classic example of a premium price due to market hype. Once the first months of hype dies down, the mini will not be dominating the market. 15gb’s lying around? Of course, look how long they’ve been out.

The original ipods have had this shortage before inbetween generation jumps. Steve Jobs smart guy? Aye, but this is no uber einstein marketing theory.

Posted by ACtually on April 13, 2004 at 1:11 PM (CDT)

anyone think the shortage is due to the hardware problem that was recently found?

Posted by tetro on April 13, 2004 at 1:21 PM (CDT)

At least they are doing something to address the problem.  People are getting pretty antsy and upset about not receiving their iPods.

I don’t think that Apple is delaying the minis because of the hardware problem.  Hitachi, I think, is having massive amounts of trouble keeping up with the demands of the hard drives that are in the mini.  For that reason alone, all minis are on back-order.

I also think another reason they are doing that, is to ease up on the demand for the mini, so that Apple can “catch up” with the demand for it’s ever so popular mini.

Posted by Asian_N02 on April 13, 2004 at 1:33 PM (CDT)

Apple did make a staement about the hardware problem and the headphone jack problems so they could be realated. I really don’t care weather or not i get a 4Gb Mini or a 3G 15Gb i just want my damn iPod!

Posted by Kevin on April 13, 2004 at 1:37 PM (CDT)

I just called apple store and changed my order from a mini to a 15gb.  the representative was very pleasant and changed my order within 2 minutes, The 15 is shipping today instead of 5/4 for the mini. My original order date for the mini was 3/24

Posted by maui40 on April 13, 2004 at 2:20 PM (CDT)

I received a similar email from Apple but they offered me 10% off any ipod in lieu of the mini.  I was able to use my student discount and the discount to get a 15G for $242.10.  Also, ebay is having a problem with people selling the minis without having them at all.  People are placing orders with Apple and then listing the minis on ebay. Bidders are having to wait for Apple delays just like everyone else.  I hope that I will be happy with the 15 and plan to buy my girlfriend a mini when the hype settles and the first repairs are made.

Posted by R Porras in Central, CA on April 13, 2004 at 2:26 PM (CDT)

Why are people listing things on Ebay that they don’t even own yet?  Seems like poor logic, to me.

Anyway, I think this is great customer service.  I mean, Apple is basically giving you 50 bucks.

Posted by Cameron on April 13, 2004 at 2:45 PM (CDT)

I just called apple store and changed my order from a mini to a 15gb. the representative was very pleasant and changed my order within 2 minutes, The 15 is shipping today instead of 5/4 for the mini. My original order date for the mini was 3/24
Was all of that for free?

Posted by Kevin on April 13, 2004 at 3:05 PM (CDT)

Nice little money maker. Buy 2 minis, get 2 upgrades, sell them and make $100!

Posted by JRay on April 13, 2004 at 4:13 PM (CDT)

tetro nailed it right on….there is no reason they would delay this hot product in europe and here in North America…..they know their beloved product has an error and are professionally trying to handle it ...although being honest would be a bit nicer!!!

but for those interested its not a bad deal!

Posted by rivlinm on April 13, 2004 at 4:38 PM (CDT)

I think the Mini’s are really cool, but I’d much rather go for a 15GB model.  You’re getting 11GB more for the cost of a Mini.

Send it in to Colorwarepc and have it painted for $40 to customize it if you want (or $60 if you want the dock painted, too) and you’re still around $300.

That would be a better deal to me.

Posted by Z on April 13, 2004 at 5:26 PM (CDT)

I posted that this happened to me this morning! Well, I got the 15 GB, the free engraving, and it should ship in 2 days instead of the 3 weeks (or longer). Speaking of longer, my scools aple rep told me to think late June if I stayed with the mini. $229 w/ free engraving and shipping is a great deal on the 15 (education store price)

Posted by Josh on April 13, 2004 at 5:52 PM (CDT)

OMG! I’m a teacher and I can’t type! Pls 4give the typos, h4ve been infected bi studentz.

Posted by Josh on April 13, 2004 at 5:59 PM (CDT)

The 15gb vs Mini debate needs to end. There are valid reasons to buy each over the other one. Secondly, if the mini was overpriced, they wouldn’t be selling like they are now, hype or no hype. Minis are plain sexy, and a lot of you that don’t own one, would probably change your mind about the 15gb vs Mini if you did :)

Posted by Widds on April 13, 2004 at 9:56 PM (CDT)

Well, the Minis ARE overpriced, but they’re still selling like hotcakes.  A lot of things sell like crazy even though they’re overpriced.  Think of it this way:  they’d sell even more if they didn’t cost as much.

I’ve seen the Mini’s, and as cool as they are, it’s not enough to make me want to replace my 15GB, which I still prefer and find just as sexy of a device.  I like the control layout better and again, it’s a better value.

Posted by Z on April 14, 2004 at 1:41 AM (CDT)

All of you fools who say the 15 gig iPod is better than the mini, need to get a mini first and then make a comment.

Posted by duh on April 14, 2004 at 5:49 AM (CDT)

“Well, the Minis ARE overpriced, but they’re still selling like hotcakes. A lot of things sell like crazy even though they’re overpriced. Think of it this way: they’d sell even more if they didn’t cost as much.”

What makes it overpriced? Because it has 11 less gb? A raptor 72gb costs ~$200, you can get nearly 400gb of normal ata133 HD space for the same price. Are the raptors “overpriced”? Hell no. The minis arn’t there to compete with the large jukebox area of mp3 market. They’re there to compete with the microjukeboxes like nitrus, muvo2, etc… and the mini owns that market. Heck, if you want to talk about overpriced look at an iRiver 512mb mp3 player, you’re going to be dropping like 200 bucks for that. Why not spend 50 more and get 4gb… or 100 more and get 15gb?

Anyways, it’s kind of foolish to call something overpriced when it cant even be made fast enough to meet demand. If it was TRUELY overpriced, people wouldnt buy it… and dont spew that “well if it was cheaper more people would buy it bs”. If a ferarri was cheaper, of course more people would own one… but then it wouldnt be a ferarri in the eyes of most people.

Posted by Widds on April 14, 2004 at 7:37 AM (CDT)

Seriously people. How can you possibly entertain the question of which iPod is better? If there is an answer to that question, I want to know what “better” means exactly.

Posted by billy in baltimore, md, usa on April 14, 2004 at 8:37 AM (CDT)

What makes the Mini overpriced is based on comparitive shopping and value - what you get and how much you pay when you buy a 15GB Ipod as compared to what you get and what you pay when you buy a Mini.

You get more bang for your buck with a 3G 15GB than you do the Mini.  Remember, there’s only a $50 difference between the two, which doesn’t qualify as enough of a price discrepancy to get bent out of shape about.  Comparitive shopping - the same thing you do when you’re shopping for groceries or anything else… Are you going to spend $250 for 4GB, or fifty bucks more for 15GB plus added functionality? (Added functionality, meaning that the 15GB can be used as a HDD, whereas the Mini cannot, for instance).  IMO, the Mini is overpriced for what you’re getting.  That’s what tells me it’s overpriced.  And like anything that first comes out, it is, but the price will drop over time.  And I’m not denying that other products out there are overpriced, too.  I never was.

How is it foolish to call something overpriced just because it’s selling quickly?  Most things are overpriced to some degree when they first arrive on the scene.  And what makes you think people wouldn’t pay more than they should to obtain something?  A lot of people do that.  A lot of things sell quickly even though they’re overpriced.  Just take a look out there.

And please don’t compare a Mini to a Ferrari.  That’s not a good analogy.  What makes the Mini a Mini is not the price, anyway.

There are many people who wouldn’t buy a Mini just because they don’t want to spend that much, but would if the price point dropped.  The reason I said this before, is because you’re attaching value to the Mini based on how it’s selling.  I don’t shop that way.  I attach value to things based on what I’m getting for my money, not based on how many people are buying.  So if you think the Mini is a great value due to how many people are buying it, then wouldn’t it be an even better value if even more people bought it?  This would happen if the price dropped.  This was the reason for why I said what I said… I was trying to make a point based off of your reasoning.

I’m not knockin’ the Mini, it just costs too much in my eyes.

Each to his own, but for me, I don’t want a Mini… I’m happy with my 3G.  To ME, it’s better and offers better value.  I wouldn’t try to make up someone else’s mind… just my own.  But if a Mini is what you want, then more power to ya.

Posted by Z on April 14, 2004 at 3:16 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >