Apple patent app points to iPhone-friendly gloves | iLounge News

Apple patent app points to iPhone-friendly gloves

image

A recently published Apple patent application shows that the company has been researching iPhone-friendly gloves. As cold-weather users of the iPhone or iPod touch may already know, the devices’ capacitive touch screens don’t work with most insulated gloves, as they block the electrical response needed to operate the screen. Apple’s patent filing describes a pair of gloves with a second inner layer that would simulate the electrical feedback of human fingers, and matching openings on each fingertip to allow the inner layer to be exposed when in use. As with all Apple patents, this filing does not necessarily represent any future product release from Apple, but offers evidence of the company‚Äôs research in this area. [via AppleInsider]

« iLounge’s Live Macworld ‘09 Coverage: 9am PT, Tuesday, 1/6/09 [Updated]

SwitchEasy rolls out RebelSerpent for iPhone 3G »

Comments

So seriously, is there anyway to operate the phone with gloves on, even in a limited way?  Answering a call while snowboarding makes for cold hands.  Also a friend of mine has a bluetooth motorcycle helmet setup and cannot answer a phone call without swiping the unlock thing onscreen.  He has the phone mounted on the handlebars.  This will always be an issue, winter or summer, because gloves are a necessity on a motorcycle for safety’s sake.

Posted by ecirwin on January 2, 2009 at 1:00 PM (PDT)

I know this is just a patent but I would be very interested in a pair of these gloves.  I have been searching for this exact feature in a pair of light weight winter gloves since last winter.  I found a pair of “tech” gloves with these silly little dots on the pointer finger and thumb but they didn’t work with the iPhone.  The only down side of this patent is that if only Apple can make them then the market will be limited and probably a little bit on the costly side but also a product that works as advertised.

Posted by TosaDeac on January 2, 2009 at 1:16 PM (PDT)

You can buy a stylus that works on the iPhone screen. Probably a much better (and way cheaper) solution.

Posted by ort on January 2, 2009 at 6:41 PM (PDT)

or you could get a phone with buttons…

Posted by creal on January 3, 2009 at 1:49 AM (PDT)

The North Face E-Tip gloves are designed just for this. They work great with scroll wheel ipods too.

Posted by DNex on January 3, 2009 at 9:20 AM (PDT)

In all seriousness, i just hold ipods up to my nose when i have gloves on

Posted by Jason on January 4, 2009 at 12:56 PM (PDT)

I tend not to wear gloves often, but find that touch-sensitive devices don’t work when I have cold hands (presumably heat is required?).  So this could be useful, except that like Jason, I just use my nose if my hands are too cold.

Posted by Barbara on January 4, 2009 at 7:37 PM (PDT)

I found out about the North Face E-Tip gloves and Marmot iGlove since I read this post and both sound like they work well with the iPhone.  Only problem is they look super geeky with the finger tips all silver looking and crazy palm graphics.  That being said….I’d be willing to look like a geek to keep my hands warm and still be able to use my phone, but currently they are out of stock everywhere I look online!

Posted by TosaDeac on January 5, 2009 at 12:16 PM (PDT)

I know it looks funny - but when the phone rings I just slide my nose across the unlock pad - and voila!!  The easy work around on this would be for Apple to enable a setting where pressing the home key would unlock the keyboard and answer the phone.  Obviously the folks in Cupertino are not used to wearing gloves!

Posted by alicek on February 1, 2009 at 11:05 AM (PDT)

I found a way to use my iPhone, iTouch or iPod with any gloves.  BTW, I live 10 minutes from Cupertino, ride a sportbike and yes, it gets cold here. Before, no way to do anything with Motorcycle leather gloves until now.  They are called e-dotz; they are inexpensive and work like a charm.  Hell, I put them on my hockey gloves so I can take calls while skating around Logitech Ice and in my wife’s gardening gloves so she doesn’t have to take them off when she is in the yard.

Also, I figured out how to use my iPhone to take calls in my helmet, using BT.  I can also listen to music and the radio over 100 MPH. (Track days, not freeway)  I can take calls up to about 85 MPH and both sides can carry on a decent conversation.  VERY HAPPY, let me tell you.

-j

Posted by jerryl on May 3, 2009 at 11:44 PM (PDT)