Apple: Paying attention to the details | iLounge News

Apple: Paying attention to the details

“Look here, at the packaging for the iPod. You ain’t about to find this type of artistic approach in any sort of mass-consumer package design. Yes, it is one of the most expensive MP3 players on the market. Yes, it is by all accounts the best and most elegantly designed MP3 player on the market. And, yes, it is selling by the truckload. There are reasons for this.”

« The Poor Mans iPod

Altec Lansing announces inMotion Portable iPod Speakers »

Comments

That article is awesome.  I didn’t really notice the attention to detail Apple puts into their packaging when I bought my eMac (since it is a 50 lb square or egg or whateer that shape is).  However, when I got my iPod and went through the packaging I got that feeling of having something special, something well designed and though out.  Right down to how you get the iPod out of the box.  On most other mp3 players it would bombard you with huge ugly fonts, and bright colours, and maybe a die cut so you can see the product, and when you open the package it is sealed in a stupid plkastic unbreakable package like batteries.  Heck I even took the time to show my brother how the box opened and how everything was so nicely laid out.  I agree Apple does a great job of reassuring you that you made the right choice when you invested in their product line.

Mike

Posted by mike on October 1, 2003 at 11:17 AM (CDT)

sorry about the spelling mistakes :P

Posted by mike on October 1, 2003 at 11:18 AM (CDT)

That’s where the overhead for the cost goes.  Yay!

Posted by tetro on October 1, 2003 at 11:46 AM (CDT)

I’ve opened my share of computer related equipment over the years.  Apple has always impressed me by their packaging.  The original iMac box was a favorite of mine, it just made sense.  There’s a guy out there that made furniture from Apple boxes.

Herb

Posted by Herb on October 1, 2003 at 11:46 AM (CDT)

not actually overhead cost. packaging is a product cost, overhead would be stuff like salaries/rent for the production team.

Posted by s on October 1, 2003 at 12:00 PM (CDT)

Jesus you people are sheep. You ignore the ipods crazy inflated prices and lack of recording and fm radio and terrible terrible short battery life. and the ipod sounds crap compared to a zen, the output is noisy with a high hiss floor. even the goddam Rios now have better signal-noise outputs than ipods and they are made by deaf monkeys.

instead you go ‘ooooh look at the pretty box’. what are you, children? steve jobs could put a turd in a box and youd all be ooohing and aahing at the presentation and ignorig the smell.

Posted by goddamsheep on October 1, 2003 at 12:31 PM (CDT)

I’m going to sell my Ipod box on eBay. I’m sure some no-life, booger-eating Apple-nerd will buy it. God, some of the crap you people write about and care about is laughable.

Posted by Margk on October 1, 2003 at 12:40 PM (CDT)

It’s kinda funny because the iPod was my first Apple product and for at least the first 10 secs. I was basking in the glory of the packaging.  And then a coworker hit me with a spit ball.

Posted by IronSerif on October 1, 2003 at 3:43 PM (CDT)

It’s called “Committment to Excellence”. If the folks at Apple are that detailed about the outside, think about how much attention they put into what;s inside.

Don’t hate the player, guys, hate the game.

Posted by Aries73 on October 1, 2003 at 3:43 PM (CDT)

On Christmas morning, when the fully charged battery in the iPod that Santa brought me failed to last more than five minutes, I pushed the iPod aside and started playing with the pretty box instead.

Posted by The 5-Minute iPod Man on October 1, 2003 at 3:58 PM (CDT)

———————————————————————————

If you are not an iPod enthusiast then why are you posting on an iPod enthusiast website.  Obviously we love our iPods, and if liking the packaging makes me a baby then wanh wanh give me my blankie.  Some people come in here just to cause shit; I think it is pretty sad that people can’t just let others be themselves without bashing them for it.  Grow up buddy!

Mike

Posted by mike on October 1, 2003 at 5:39 PM (CDT)

SErious if you dont like ipod get the hell out of here. this is ipodlounge.

Posted by Raiders on October 1, 2003 at 6:35 PM (CDT)

when people start worshipping packaging instead of hard-nosed analysis of the positives and negatives of something and their personal meaning for each individual then they have lapsed from sanity into zealous idolatry, into cultish fetishism.

The fact is that ipods are tools for listening to music. Nothing more, nothing less. They do their job better than most, worse than some, at a high price that many find acceptable but some find objectionable.

There are other tools out there that look like ipods but also record music, or make music, or play video, and they have their zealots as well.

Posted by fetish on October 1, 2003 at 7:36 PM (CDT)

and this is the point he’s making
some people are brain washed into a buy and throw away culture, that attention to detail is disregarded

to the bashers : having good packaging is NOT taking features away from the iPod. Apple don’t take money out of product development and push it to packaging. Production costs of the package, while yes, are a little more than your average cardboard box, it is not overly so. The designer would have gotten a good bit more, but I guarantee you that that cost is having a near zero affect on the final cost.

also, most conversation on this site is about the iPod itself. ONE topic comes up about the packaging. so ‘goddamsheep’, either take your selective blinkers off, or crawl back into your god damn hole.

I for one appreciate Apple’s attention to detail. As much as their products are mass-produced items - they don’t FEEL like it. There’s always a certain satisfaction about owning something handcrafted, something one off. What makes it so, is it’s details, the knowledge that someone cared about how it was made. This instills confidence in the product, and sense of money well spent. It’s a shame not more companies follow this lead.

Posted by Nathan Adams on October 1, 2003 at 9:20 PM (CDT)

So let me get this straight, I have a cultish fetishism because I like how Apple packaged my iPod, and admire their attention to deatail and sense of Graphic Design.  ( I am a Graphic Designer btw) Hmm somehow I don’t think so.

On a side note I didn’t know we were debating the merits of the iPod itself here.  The article was fun and intersting, it wasn’t claiming that the iPod is the best music player in the world, it was just pointing out their attention to detail.

Like the article said Apple has won awards for their packaging and Graphic Design, obviously you can’t win an award if you are the only one competing, so that means their design is appreciated and is better then a lot of other designs out there.

Ok rant over

Mike

Posted by mike on October 1, 2003 at 9:40 PM (CDT)

Hey, this is my first post.  I’m on your side ipoders, I’ve had mine for almost a year now and I won’t even let my wife touch the box… it’s sacred.  Just one of those things you save. And when my ipod dies, thats right where it’ll go, in its box, at the top of the closet.
I’m sorry the naysayers don’t agree and have to be childish about other peoples stuff.

Posted by Cornealius on October 2, 2003 at 5:52 AM (CDT)

So because I like my IPod I am a fetishist. Well just because I spank my IPod I don;t think that makes me a bad person? Ooh you naughty IPod!!

Posted by SpideyPod on October 2, 2003 at 7:56 AM (CDT)

“In the early part of the sixteenth century, the Portuguese, exploring the West Coast of Africa, found the natives using small material objects in their religious worship. These they called feiti

Posted by SpideyPod on October 2, 2003 at 7:57 AM (CDT)

In the 19th century Karl Marx appropriated the term to describe “commodity fetishism” as an important component of capitalism.

Marx observed that people in capitalist societies often fetishized material objects: any product that is advertized as having magical or mystical powers that it can impart to the consumer (such as certain brands of clothing, perfumes or colognes, and foods) are fetishes. Marx’s theory of commodity fetishism proposes to explain this phenomenon.

According to Marx, people value objects that they can use (i.e. they have “use-value”), and most things people can use are produced through human labor. In market societies, however, people can use an object to acquire another through exchange; goods thus take on “exchange-value.” In capitalist societies, moreover, there is a labor market; rather than being seen as the source of use-values, labor itself becomes another commodity and takes on an exchange-value. Thus, labor is devalued, and commodities are seen as having power over the people who produce them.

A simple example will illustrate this process: the person who owns a Cadillac (or Lexus or Bentley) has more prestige than the people working on the assembly-line that produced it. But commodity fetishism refers to more—the the belief that the car (or any manufactured object) is more important than people, and confers special powers (i.e., beyond the power to travel sixty miles in an hour, or flatten hedgehogs) to those who possess it.

Posted by ComIntern on October 2, 2003 at 9:02 AM (CDT)

This was an article about the fact that Apple makes nice boxes right?

Posted by SpideyPod on October 2, 2003 at 11:09 AM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >