Apple planning Beatles-iTunes commercial during Super Bowl? | iLounge News

Apple planning Beatles-iTunes commercial during Super Bowl?

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2007
News Categories: iTunes

Apple could announce the availability of the Beatles on the iTunes Store in a commercial to air during next month’s Super Bowl. According to a report by the Toronto Sun, Apple is planning a special announcement in a Super Bowl ad on February 4th. The newspaper reports that music from the Beatles could be available through iTunes as soon as next month, with Apple being given an “exclusive three-month, restricted deal” allowing iTunes to offer remastered Beatles songs online. A report by a Beatles fan website yesterday said that at least one Beatles album will be available on Valentine’s Day next month.

« iFrogz offers up multiple iPod products

Report: Apple to open up FairPlay DRM to accessory makers »

Comments

I wonder how many ads they’ll have? Probably just one since it costs so much to have it aired during Superbowl. Then again most people go to the bathroom at half time. I don’t understand the “three month deal” but the re-mastered part makes sense.

Posted by AZ on January 17, 2007 at 10:53 AM (PDT)

Can we just give up on the Apple commercials during the Super Bowl?

Posted by Warbrain on January 17, 2007 at 10:57 AM (PDT)

Like most people, I love The Beatles, but the excitment over inferior 128 kbps versions of songs everyone who likes The Beatles already has on iTunes at higher rates escapes me. The only real benefit will be if they issue the CDs in remastered versions - then we could have improved sound quality that can be put on iTunes at 160 or above kbps and have some real improved sound. But I know remastered is not always better - Revolver lost some of its magic in when they did a “modern remix” for the original CDs. I am hoping the remaster will restore the original sound mix.

Posted by morebinky on January 17, 2007 at 11:18 AM (PDT)

Keep in mind that there are a lot of people (like me) who don’t always want the entire album, but just one or two songs. There are some Beatles songs missing from my collection for just this reason.

If the Beatles appear on iTunes, I’ll be able to spend $2 instead of $15 to get the songs I want.

Posted by BJ Nemeth on January 17, 2007 at 11:56 AM (PDT)

BJ just go out and buy the Beatles 1 album.  It has every #1 song they recorded.

Posted by Scott on January 17, 2007 at 12:05 PM (PDT)

I’ve already got that album, Scott. But thanks for the tip. (It was one of the last physical CDs I purchased, before moving to almost exclusive digital downloads through iTunes.) smile

But as far as the Beatles are concerned, there are some deeper cuts that I’m interested in.

Posted by BJ Nemeth on January 17, 2007 at 12:48 PM (PDT)

I tunes is a little late (and too expensive).
I purchased all my beatles through allofmp3.com.

Posted by kber45 on January 17, 2007 at 7:27 PM (PDT)

I personally looking forward to the re-mix of The Beatles.  Regardless of the outcome of it at least there is something going on with the beatles again.  It would cool if Stereo mix of the first album is release in todays stereo mix not 60’s version or fake stereo.  Mainly everything that needs adjusted as far as frequency, eq’s and balanced I’m all for it.

Posted by Oliver on January 17, 2007 at 9:20 PM (PDT)

Totally agree w/morebinky. All my Beatles songs are ripped at Lossless or AIFF except for rare stuff that was never officially issued. And why buy? Just check them out at the library, clean them up before ripping as you would borrowed CDs. No big deal.

Posted by aztlanblues on January 18, 2007 at 12:07 AM (PDT)

aztlanblues had the common-sense approach. However, having The Beatles on iTunes is, needless to say, an important move for Apple (if it is to happen which is not certain despite the strength of the rumours).

It is more of a statement than a profit-making exercise. First, have U2, one of the biggest current bands around, get behing the chic, coolness and (relative!) goodness of Apple. Then, have The Beatles, arguably the greatest band of the past, for the follow-through.

Both of these statements solidify iTunes as *the* place to get *the* music. And as a subtle undercurrent, it’s telling the wold that despite the resources of the ‘Evil Empire’, both of these bands decided to side with the ‘good guys’ - Apple.

Posted by Pikemann_Urge on January 18, 2007 at 3:18 AM (PDT)

I think the beatles is one of those bands thats so good, you need to buy the audio CDS.

After all who wants DRM in their music?

Posted by Steven on January 18, 2007 at 9:52 AM (PDT)

best bet for initial iTunes release is the remastered ‘Love’ album while the commercial will definitely show multicoloured silhouttes of the fab four.

Posted by qwerty on January 19, 2007 at 12:35 AM (PDT)

YouTube now has this preview !
Click: BEATLES + iTunes = Two Apples

Posted by schillid on January 20, 2008 at 10:40 PM (PDT)

THE BEATLES are the greatest musicians this planet earth has ever produce comparing u-2 to them is an insult.

Posted by juan ault on February 2, 2008 at 1:47 AM (PDT)