Apple planning premium games section for App Store? | iLounge News

Apple planning premium games section for App Store?

Apple may be planning to open a $20-and-up premium games section on the App Store, according to a new report. Citing anonymous sources, PocketGamer is reporting that the section will be open to only a restricted number of large developers and publishers, rather than the broad acceptance afforded by other areas of the store. Apple and potentially included publishers EA Mobile and Gameloft refused to comment on the matter; the report speculates that the move could be announce at the annual Worldwide Developers Conference, or at a special iPhone or gaming event. Developers have previously expressed concern over the abundance of $1 apps on the store’s Top 100 lists, leading at least one to try a hybrid paid/donation revenue model to boost sales.

« App Mix: Distant Shore, Nomina, Grocery IQ, RepairPal

Firmware points to next-generation iPhone model »

Comments

If the ‘premium’ games are any good, then I welcome this with open arms. Something needs to be done about the $1 ‘CrapWare’ apps.

Posted by NFreak007 on January 29, 2009 at 8:54 AM (PDT)

I am not opposed to this at all, and in fact, I think it’s a sorely-needed step. The glut of half-baked games in the App Store is a problem and I think if Apple has designs on making the iPhone a legitimate gaming platform, it will ensure that higher-end developers get to flex their muscle by producing and distributing higher-cost content.

Being a PSP owner, I have been frustrated with that device’s inability to find its niche. The iPhone already has such incredible market penetration that it’s only natural for the gaming-inclined to want better product, and be more than willing to pay a premium.

My only concern is that

Posted by Flippy Hambone on January 29, 2009 at 2:04 PM (PDT)

Oops! My only concern is that battery life, already a problem with the 3G, will go completely in the toilet with extended gaming use. It wouldn’t be a real issue if the battery was user-replaceable, of course.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on January 29, 2009 at 2:24 PM (PDT)

Please, no more fart games!!!!  smile

I don’t understand how so many have issues with battery life.  Mine easily lasts a couple days with heavy use, three days or so with light use.

Posted by Ndcart on January 29, 2009 at 2:41 PM (PDT)

Ndcart, I’m lucky to get a day out of mine without fully draining the battery and thats with LIGHT gaming use.

Posted by Johnathan on January 29, 2009 at 4:07 PM (PDT)

Pointless! What’s stopping them now from releasing games with prices that high? If you don’t want $1 apps, don’t pay for it. If you game is worth $25 people will pay it. This sounds just like the music industry. “New technology is hurting our established business model. We demand you reroute the new tech so our business model still work for us and we still get all the money!”

Posted by Gabe on January 29, 2009 at 11:08 PM (PDT)

I honestly don’t mind whatever the cost of the game, however, it’d be nice if there were TRIALS before you buy, heck even 2hr test drive is enough!  Screenshots does no justice at all.

My pennies worth wink

Posted by i2oadi2unnei2 on January 30, 2009 at 9:46 AM (PDT)

Beyond the price and beyond the battery drain, Apple also needs to “open up” the app limit beyond 9 pages… too much darn stuff out there and not enough room on the phone for apps!

Posted by Chris G on January 30, 2009 at 3:42 PM (PDT)

Hi everyone, I’m a bit late on the chat, it’s not like I was going
any more relevant than anyone else but here is what I think.

I think it’s safe to say that people are slightly narrow minded when
it comes to defining these portable device. Being a “fanboy” or a
“fangirl” is quite a comftarble status unlike simply being rational
about the situation.

First, the iPod Touch and the iPhone are multimedia platform. Often,
the music player is acknowledge has it’s unique feature. The iPod
Touch and iPhone is actually a pretty powerful device (memory, speed
& rendering) that can actually browse the web, run diverse types of
application and support a large array of media files.

These device are now pushing toward their gaming aspect. The Touch
Gen are unconventional for gaming, they are somewhat less technical
and more intuitive (this is the same reason some may never like the
Wii). Because of their nature, a lot of the game released for Apple
devices are crap and of homebrew quality. It was the same for the DS
when it came out, but Nintendo had more experience in blocking trash
from their platform.

It’s safe to say that the Apple Premium Games will push the gaming
aspect of the Touch Gen even beyond their MVP app’s. They have to.
Why? Well this brings me to my second point.

The DS and PSP which are what people call “gaming dedicated devices”
actually have a lot of multimedia potential. Sony and Nintendo are
slowly but convincingly pushing toward multi-functions devices with
new firmware, hardware and services just like Apple. Everyone is
adventuring in to everyones territory. Thats how capitalism works raspberry
Apple, Sony and Nintendo actions are not really surprising.

I’ll watch how things work out for these guys. Fanslaves, choose your
camp; technical=PSP, hybrid=DS, intuitive=iPod.  Has for me, I’m
pretty much versatile.

Posted by Jeffrey on February 3, 2009 at 5:58 PM (PDT)