Apple plans major MobileMe revamp for April launch; prior version to be phased out in a year | iLounge News

image

Apple is set to announce a new, free version of MobileMe next month, according to a trusted iLounge source. The source, who works for a major educational institution, claims the school’s supplier has said the current version of MobileMe is no longer available, and that Apple is suggesting new students sign up for the 60-day trial to cover the gap between the final MobileMe shipment and the launch of the new version. In addition, the source was told that Apple will be supporting the existing version of MobileMe for the next year, suggesting that the new version will be quite different from the existing service; the extra year of support would likely cover those who recently paid for a full year of MobileMe, prior to Apple removing any method through which a user could pay for the service. Recent reports have suggested that the revamped service will position it as a free online, cloud-based “locker” for content such as photos, videos, and music.

« Flickr expands iPad light box support

AT&T sends notices to jailbreak tethering users »

Comments

All is speculation until a formal announcement.

However, I’m happy with the existing paid offerings for Mac/Windows/iPhones/iPads.  In my opinion MobileMe represents excellent value for money.

Mostly use the the iWeb MobileMe hosting for several web sites, plus Web Gallery.

I very much favour “no advertising”.

Mike C - UK

Posted by Mike Campbell on March 19, 2011 at 12:54 AM (PDT)

I don’t think that a full free mobileme service will became a worst service.
Whay somebody think so?

Mobileme as a lot of example is a service to complete the system.

For me or fullfree o by money mobileme should have a full integration whith iTunes….an iTunes in the cloud.

Posted by Renato on March 19, 2011 at 2:55 AM (PDT)

I been paying for MobileMe aka .Mac for years. I’m happy with the improvements. I pay for it because I like the security features and ftp services. I don’t need it to mirror Goggle Mail.  For those who think Mail is like Gmail, its not.

Posted by mofunk on March 19, 2011 at 12:07 PM (PDT)

There’s probably not as much speculation involved as Mike Campbell suggests.  We know that Apple needs a suite of integrated cloud services to compete with Google, and that it has been an active acquirer in this area.

That’s why I’m expecting the iOS 5 event next month to a) make MobileMe free and b) focus on a few additional services that have been acquired and integrated over the past few years, namely the maps and voice search.  Then again, it’s possible that one or more components will be held back until the iPhone 5 event, simply because they’re phone features involved with navigation.  With limited hardware changes coming out (perhaps), Steve may want to spend more time talking about software.

One other thing:  if there’s going to be a maps module, there will probably be a public portal site as well.  I’m guessing that that will be at thesite maps.me.com, which has been active for at least a few weeks now.  I’m guessing that this is currently being used for testing.  I have no idea as to the significance of the information in the URL redirect.  It might place one into a view of the continental US or a plan view of the Infinite Loop campus.

I wouldn’t expect much to be done to leverage the LaLa acquisition, based on leaks appearing on the tech sites recently.

Posted by Hugh on March 20, 2011 at 3:53 AM (PDT)

I get something that works for me quite well. No adds. No downtime. No complications. Just works. I am happy to keep paying for my Family Pack subscriptions provided there are no changes to the product.

Posted by Kale on March 21, 2011 at 12:59 AM (PDT)

Update…ok…just PLEASE DON’T MESS UP MY iCALendar AGAIN!!! Had to do a full restore for all my business appointments after the last ‘update’. It’s working now… so I really hope they’ll keep the iCal sync funtionality!!! I need this badly to work 100%! That’s why I’m paying for it.

Posted by Hybrid on March 21, 2011 at 3:05 AM (PDT)

Have there been any updates in this report? My version runs out in a couple of weeks and I don’t particularly want to renew it if it’s going to be free very soon… Anyone know?

Posted by Dan on May 10, 2011 at 7:35 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2