Apple plans special event next week | iLounge News

Apple plans special event next week

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, August 29, 2005
News Categories: iPod

Apple appears to be set to introduce an all-new iPod next week as the company will hold a special event at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, California. Apple has used similar events in the past to make such major announcements.

In an invitation sent to select media, including iLounge, Apple hints that it will unveil a significant new product at the event. The invitation reads in part: “1000 songs in your pocket changed everything. Here we go again.” The slogan “1000 songs in your pocket” was first used by Apple when the original 5GB iPod was introduced in 2001.

The invitation-only event will take place on Wednesday, September 7 at 10:00 a.m. iLounge will be in attendance to bring you coverage.

« MTV VMA iPod shuffle case designed by XtremeMac

Rivet rolls out Grab iPod shuffle accessory »

Comments

Ooo boy… Time to clear the credit cards!

iTunes 5?
Color minis?
New shuffles?
Video iPods?
iTunes phone?

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on August 29, 2005 at 11:16 AM (PDT)

1000 movies in your pocket? wink

Posted by Salamander on August 29, 2005 at 11:17 AM (PDT)

I am intrigued.

Posted by dino in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada on August 29, 2005 at 11:20 AM (PDT)

Oh yes!... and I thought I was going to have to wait till the end of september for the Paris Conference.

It’s here!... can’t wait…

new iPods… maybe this will be the preview, and the Paris conference would be the launch?

September is going to be one hell of a month for Apple.

Posted by mrqcho on August 29, 2005 at 11:25 AM (PDT)

Sounds like an new iPod mini!

Posted by lovepoke in Paradise on August 29, 2005 at 11:27 AM (PDT)

Hate to spoil the speculation, but apparently the announcement is for the new iPod/Motorola MP3 phones. Apparently…

Posted by David Appleyard on August 29, 2005 at 11:33 AM (PDT)

I doubt they’d premier it and then make us wait for the September conference, Apple likes to debut things and have them in the store at about the same time.

Or back ordered anyway.

Posted by Jeffery Simpson on August 29, 2005 at 11:45 AM (PDT)

Sadly this seems like the most plausable reason for Apple to have an announcement this early in the month. It makes sense since these IPod phones were supposed to be announced sometime in August. C’mon Apple announce the 5th generation IPod’s, my 2nd generation is on it’s deathbed.

Posted by Joe on August 29, 2005 at 11:56 AM (PDT)

Posted by Alan on August 29, 2005 at 12:19 PM (PDT)

probably the moto phoney thing.. bleh..

Late sept, I’m hoping for a 5th Gen ipod shipping with Bluetooth & FM tuner built in, made with same casing as ipod mini.

Posted by psxp on August 29, 2005 at 12:25 PM (PDT)

i could have sworn the iPhone would only be capable of holding 100 songs, not one thousand.

andrew

Posted by Paris Hilton on August 29, 2005 at 12:31 PM (PDT)

“I’ll be damned if they come out with the 5th Gen iPods now… I just purchased my 60GB iPod colour sometime at the end of this July! Nooo!!”

That’s right, because as soon as they announce the 5th gen iPod, yours will CEASE TO FUNCTION!

Posted by m. sherman on August 29, 2005 at 12:46 PM (PDT)

I don´t think it is some new iPods - there´s an money-back-offer to students right now that ends at the start of october…

Posted by crib on August 29, 2005 at 12:51 PM (PDT)

Every time I hear about something like this, I find myself:

a) feeling like a dumbass for buying an ipod color with audio problems right before a new release
b) wondering whether to sell my current iPod
c) hoping like hell it’s either not true, or is some unrelated product (i.e. iPod mini or iPod phone)

Yarr

Posted by Bob_McBob on August 29, 2005 at 1:16 PM (PDT)

I think that it is a video iPod it is long over due if Apple wants to stay on top of the MP3 player catagory and it will provide a new revenue stream for Apple from the ITMS.

Also if you are worried abot an iPod that you just purchased I don’t think that this will affect any other iPod’s as it will be a new product to the line, 80GB?  don’t expect the 20GB’s to play movies even if they could, Apple will have to get some premium $$ for this iPod to pay for the R&D.

Posted by Trevor on August 29, 2005 at 1:22 PM (PDT)

Let’s hope it’s not JUST the ROKR phone smile

My bet is this will be something very new and unexpected—like “1000 odors in your pocket.” Right now I have 3 or 4 at most.

(And if new iPods show up—nobody should feel bad about buying a technology product mere weeks/months before a new model. That’s ALWAYS going to be the case. OK, scratch that, I’ve enjoyed my iPod for a year and I will STILL feel bad if a color Mini shows up smile )

Posted by Nagromme on August 29, 2005 at 1:23 PM (PDT)

Iv been waiting all summer for this, I hope its the fifth generation iPod or iVideo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Fastball0723 on August 29, 2005 at 1:29 PM (PDT)

calm down peeps. It’s only an apple.

Posted by size9 on August 29, 2005 at 2:26 PM (PDT)

I’m strongly hopeing that this is Apple going to introduce a video iPod. The PMP market is seriously hotting up at the moment (Creative Zen Vision, Cowon iAudio A2, Archos AV500, iStation V43) and this would be the perfect time for Apple to enter the PMP market. I fear, however, that this is just going to be the much over-hyped iTunes phone.

That invitation really has got me guessing though. This sounds big.

Posted by james_shadow07 on August 29, 2005 at 2:30 PM (PDT)

why are all those great things in the usa.
i’m from belgium and the time is different so i have to wait longer :(.

but still i’m so excited! really i can’t wait. this is going to be so BIG!

Posted by PeeZz on August 29, 2005 at 2:38 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 6 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »