Apple plans special event next week | iLounge News

Apple plans special event next week

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, August 29, 2005
News Categories: iPod

Apple appears to be set to introduce an all-new iPod next week as the company will hold a special event at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, California. Apple has used similar events in the past to make such major announcements.

In an invitation sent to select media, including iLounge, Apple hints that it will unveil a significant new product at the event. The invitation reads in part: “1000 songs in your pocket changed everything. Here we go again.” The slogan “1000 songs in your pocket” was first used by Apple when the original 5GB iPod was introduced in 2001.

The invitation-only event will take place on Wednesday, September 7 at 10:00 a.m. iLounge will be in attendance to bring you coverage.

« MTV VMA iPod shuffle case designed by XtremeMac

Rivet rolls out Grab iPod shuffle accessory »

Comments

Gila-Maybe the PSP?
Bob Levens-Nice idea, but i think if just might be the new video iPod flea!!!! :D

Posted by Chongy on August 30, 2005 at 2:51 AM (PDT)

I have money for buying a 4G Ipod… most surely 20gb than 60gb.

It’s hot in my hands smile ... I want to buy iPod and began being nervous about the 7th september (wha if…. 5G, better & changable battery,...)

I have to be strong :D

Posted by Antonio on August 30, 2005 at 3:03 AM (PDT)

I think Apple will stop making iPods, because the mp3 market will definitely crash sometime in 2006. They will concentrate on making computers and crushing Microsoft. It’ll surely change my life, because I will have more money to spend on other stuff than cases and fm transmitters.

Posted by elppadopi in Amsterdam on August 30, 2005 at 3:22 AM (PDT)

people, i’m about to wet myself…

i’ve been waiting and waiting for the 5g (60 gb is not that much, the firmware bug with smart playlists, a potentially smaler form factor…)

they better announce the 5g next week, or im getting into serious problems. my old jb3 is full and dead, my birthday- money is burning a hole in my pocket and a good friend and coed recently started shouting at me because he was p*ssed of by my obsession.

i peronally dont think that it is going to be the iphone. im not completely informed about that gadget (because i dont care about it) bout as far as i know, its not even an apple product. why would they make such a buzz about it?

Posted by fischziege on August 30, 2005 at 3:44 AM (PDT)

PC World dropped 20G b/w ipods £20 in uk prior to colour release. Have just reduced 20G colours to £195….?

Posted by Rob on August 30, 2005 at 4:23 AM (PDT)

“1000 songs in your pocket changed everything. Here we go again?

what was special was not the “1000 songs” bit. i’ve owned a lot more than 1000 songs for ages…

maybe they mean the ‘pocket’ bit. how about this: “1000 songs in your ears” or “1000 songs in your brain”? no need for pockets anymore. this will change our life!

Posted by gloegg on August 30, 2005 at 4:49 AM (PDT)

how about an iPod with a “genuine” 12 hours battery life?
that’s a sure killer…

Posted by iJay on August 30, 2005 at 5:08 AM (PDT)

could they be announcing 2 products at this event?

it’s probably the phone (not interested) but i’ll be hoping for the 5G ipod.

and i’m sick of hearing people complain ‘oh, but i just bought my ipod photo”

this is what happens when you buy late in the model ‘year’.

if you want to have the latest and greatest for as long as possible, buy the product asap after it’s announced…

if you wait until 8,9,10,13,14 months out - you made your bed.

Posted by Puck in washington dc on August 30, 2005 at 6:07 AM (PDT)

As I was about to buy Sony NW-E507 I hope Jobs will introduce (among others) new Shuffle 1 and 2Gb with OLED screen. FM tuner would be nice addition…

Posted by frango on August 30, 2005 at 6:24 AM (PDT)

anyway i’m reading to click on the order link on the apple store, i’ve just sold my iPod 2G

Posted by v on August 30, 2005 at 6:29 AM (PDT)

Based on the press it looks like it’s going to be an IPod cellphone next week.

Slashdot

Chicago Tribune

NYT

Posted by Joe on August 30, 2005 at 6:36 AM (PDT)

According to Engadget (http://engadget.com/entry/1234000200056593/) the iTunes phone only will hold 100 songs, which given the slogan makes it unlikely to be unveiled there.

Posted by Dan (papayaninja) on August 30, 2005 at 6:41 AM (PDT)

Yup.  iPod phone dubbed “Rokr”.

Posted by Obadiah on August 30, 2005 at 7:14 AM (PDT)

Video iPod? Who cares? We already have portable video players. Unless it has a bigger screen (ala PSP) I’ll just stick to my laptop or portable DVD player.

My Audio iPod still rocks. I use it every day, I wouldn’t use a video iPod for video everyday (If I had one, I’d still use it for Music in my Car or my radio shows: Ron and Fez & Opie and Anthony!)

Posted by skw on August 30, 2005 at 7:31 AM (PDT)

Obadiah… Motorola called their V3 the RAZR… no doubt it’s in partnership with them that Apple is making the iPod phone…

Razor = thin = V3 RAZR (don’t kill me over the spelling)
Rocker = music = iPod Phone (Rokr)

Posted by foof on August 30, 2005 at 7:51 AM (PDT)

A video iPod would make sense, but only if it retained the size of the current iPod. Then you can use it every day for music, just like you use your current iPod, and in addition you can download/rip video and watch it on your iPod when desired, such as a plane flight, bus ride, whatever - with the high price of fuel, public transportation is becoming more popular, so portable video is becoming more viable. Not to mention for showing off your home videos to others. An iPod-sized video player would be perfect for this, but obviously it has to have a much larger screen than current iPods. The only way to do that is to have a virtual scroll wheel on a touch-sensitive screen instead of a physical one. The touch sensitive screen would fill pretty much the entire front face of the iPod. That would make for a nice size for video/movies. There is the issue of finger prints, though. Perhaps some kind of screen coating could minimize/eliminate that. I don’t know.

Having said all that, I think we should all be prepared for disappointment - an iTunes phone seems more likely.

Posted by Chewygoat on August 30, 2005 at 8:13 AM (PDT)

Riiiiiight….  I’m sure that’ll happen.

Posted by m.sherman on August 30, 2005 at 8:17 AM (PDT)

haha well done for pointing that out m.sherman….... i didn’t read all of it. yh it will happen raspberry

Posted by Chongy on August 30, 2005 at 8:35 AM (PDT)

<i>A video iPod would make sense, but only if it retained the size of the current iPod…but obviously it has to have a much larger screen than current iPods. The only way to do that is to have a virtual scroll wheel on a touch-sensitive screen instead of a physical one. The touch sensitive screen would fill pretty much the entire front face of the iPod. That would make for a nice size for video/movies.<i>

That would be cool.

Posted by skw on August 30, 2005 at 9:28 AM (PDT)

I see a printed banner:
“500 video in your pocket will change everything”

Posted by spy on August 30, 2005 at 9:48 AM (PDT)

Page 4 of 6 pages « First  <  2 3 4 5 6 >