Apple plans special event next week | iLounge News

Apple plans special event next week

Apple appears to be set to introduce an all-new iPod next week as the company will hold a special event at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, California. Apple has used similar events in the past to make such major announcements.

In an invitation sent to select media, including iLounge, Apple hints that it will unveil a significant new product at the event. The invitation reads in part: “1000 songs in your pocket changed everything. Here we go again.” The slogan “1000 songs in your pocket” was first used by Apple when the original 5GB iPod was introduced in 2001.

The invitation-only event will take place on Wednesday, September 7 at 10:00 a.m. iLounge will be in attendance to bring you coverage.

« MTV VMA iPod shuffle case designed by XtremeMac

Rivet rolls out Grab iPod shuffle accessory »

Comments

While a video device would be nice, it would not be even close to revolutionary.  We already have laptops, portable dvd players, pocket pc’s and palm devices that have been doing this for a while now.  I currently have close to 2GB worth of video on my treo phone and can slash some of that to carry around mp3’s.  And on top of that its a friggin phone and pda.  I don’t see the advantage in a video system unless they plan to market it as an easier more mainstream device.

Posted by wm on August 30, 2005 at 1:08 PM (CDT)

I’m buying the current iPod with an iBook this week and will get the $179 rebate on the iPod - then will sell the iPod for around $200-250. Good deal.

Posted by mongoos150 on August 30, 2005 at 1:42 PM (CDT)

What’s the point of video iPods? Do you really mean to tell me that you’d sit and watch a film on a 2.5” screen?

I find it hard to believe that people even enjoy watching movies on PSP.

I guess the eye glass and contact lens industry will have a huge boom after this.

Posted by ikelleigh on August 30, 2005 at 2:10 PM (CDT)

Well It look’s like it’s going to be the “iPhone” :(
Now assuming people use it as Apple, Moto and Cingular intend and download songs from iTunes directly to the phone…. then this will cost a small fortune. 99cent for the song + the amount of data (roughly 4M) across a 3G network at about (I don’t know the American pricing structure for 3G data) 20cent per MB = $1.79 per song….

Or they charge a subscription fee of $20 a month for the service. It might even be free for the first few months when the service is introduced, then when you’re hooked, balm they got ya!!!

Either way Cingular are laughing all the way to the bank!!

Posted by Salamander on August 30, 2005 at 2:19 PM (CDT)

if its a new ipod that would be grand. if only apple came up with better headphones….

Posted by Neftaly Navas on August 30, 2005 at 2:28 PM (CDT)

I’m wondering if a new version of iTunes is all that it would take to turn a current iPod with a colour screen into one that may view movies or music videos, as it were.

I certainly hope that PDF files will become viewable on iPods as many of us who live in cities would appreciate bus/metro information to be available on our iPods. For those of us in San Francisco already know that MUNI has its schedules in PDF so come already apple.

Posted by Ness on August 30, 2005 at 3:21 PM (CDT)

Salamander,

You download the music on your PC and sync it to the phone…just like an iPod.  So there’s no network fee….which is why most phone companies have not been to eager to embrace it.

Also, you can rip your own music in iTunes, so you don’t need to pay 99c if you have a CD.

Posted by taffinito on August 30, 2005 at 3:56 PM (CDT)

Posted by Cyantre on August 30, 2005 at 4:00 PM (CDT)

“Why would you want to listen to music on your cell phone? A phone is a phone and an MP3 player is an MP3 player. A phone that plays MP3’s has no appeal to me. If I want to talk to someone I’ll use a phone, if I want to listen to music I’ll use an iPod. Everyone is just trying to make a cell phone the new Swiss army knife. Lets see how many different things we can cram into a cell phone. Next thing you know you’ll be able to make toast with your cell phone. =P”

I don’t know about you, but I don’t always carry around my ipod in my pocket the way I do my cell phone.  It’s nice to have a device that acts as everything so you don’t always have to walk around with multiple devices weighing you down and clogging up your pockets or making your belt look like batman’s.

Posted by wm on August 30, 2005 at 4:07 PM (CDT)

a phone is a phone…
some people do not want to use their phone as an mp3 player because they do not want to use up the battery and be unable to use the phone when they need to make that important call…

Posted by iJay on August 30, 2005 at 4:14 PM (CDT)

Let me first say that I am a Techie.  I have a ipod, a shuffle, a cell phone, a good PDA, a graphics tablet, e4c’s, a digital camera, etc.  And of all of my gadgets my cell phone gets the least use (very atypical as I am a teenager).  I have a free phone that came with the sub. I notice nice phones (sony’s, RAZR), but I really have no desire for them.  A phone is for calls, which is what I have it for and I dont even carry it in my pocket but in my backpack.  Meanwhile I am carrying my pda and ipod more.  Cells dont need music, cameras, etc.  I am really hoping this expo is for a new ipod, which I would have to take a good long look at and consider buying if it is truely revolutionary ( I currently have a 4th gen B&W 20gig).

Posted by thebrain on August 30, 2005 at 4:17 PM (CDT)

Of course the iphone is coming out.

I was also hoping for a video-ipod… but it seems it’s video Minis? can this be possbile, much Gigs for a mini?

I pray no… i sold my mini in July and have helf off from another ipod for this event… now that i have more songs.

Posted by JoE on August 30, 2005 at 8:11 PM (CDT)

Hi taffinito,
I presumed that you could rip songs in the usual way and transfer them to the “iPhone” just as you can for the iPod, but with the advent of UMTS (3G networks) operators like Cingular will provide the “over the network” download option.
An “iPhone” is not revolutionary. In Europe we have lots of phones that can play MP3’s. OK I know the “iPhone” has iTunes compatibility, but so what, that’s nothing worth making a song and dance about, excuse the pun ;)

I was hoping for a video iPod, and for all those of you out there who say “why would you want to look at video on a small screen”, well I don’t. I would like the option where you could plug it into a TV and (maybe it would come with a built in IR remote) watch some movies….

Posted by Salamander on August 31, 2005 at 1:51 AM (CDT)

I heard he’s going to bring us world peace, an end to hunger and suffering and a cure for cancer. Failing that, I suppose something you can play pop songs on would be nice…

Posted by Andrew Cowie on August 31, 2005 at 8:00 AM (CDT)

Ok it’s in French, but you can read here Apple is about to buy 40% of Samsung’s NAND flash memory output in 2005S2 to supply its new 4GB flash version of ipod mini

so now you know…

Posted by bam on August 31, 2005 at 8:57 AM (CDT)

bam,
how about an english version?

Posted by iJay on August 31, 2005 at 10:12 AM (CDT)

I’ll throw in my two cents worth with yet another link….

Posted by Salamander on August 31, 2005 at 1:47 PM (CDT)

it cant be the itunes phone (HORRAY!!)-check out ilounge’s homepage. it turns out motorola will announce the iphone the same day just in new york city an hour later.And on a side note the LGVX8100 has 512MB built in storage and it plays mp3’s.

Posted by me on September 1, 2005 at 10:04 AM (CDT)

Today’s Wall Street Journal hints that Apple will replace the hard drive in the Mini to a flash Card

Posted by Steve on September 1, 2005 at 12:27 PM (CDT)

I have a hunch it’s going to be a video iPod.  Sites like http://www.Cinematology.com are prepping for it, with full H.264 Quicktime 7 video downloads, DRM-Free to boot!  Sounds good!

Posted by Aaron on September 1, 2005 at 3:26 PM (CDT)

Page 5 of 6 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 >