Apple plans to add rare and out-of-print songs to iTMS | iLounge News

Apple plans to add rare and out-of-print songs to iTMS

“ITunes, the leader of the digital music services pack, has a catalog of over 700,000 songs—but that’s not nearly enough for Apple. To maintain its lead, the company is on a hunt to find exclusive music, everything from out-of-print singles in music company vaults to songs that have never been pressed onto a CD and even recordings from the estates of deceased artists. [...]

And if anyone can get the labels to open the vaults, Jobs can, analysts said.

‘What Jobs is saying is, ‘We’d be happy to take all this content that is rotting away in warehouses and turn it into a new revenue source for you,’ said Barry Ritholtz, a market strategist with Maxim Group, a money-management firm. ‘It’s probably a bit much to say Jobs is saving the music industry, but he’s showing them the way into the digital age. They have been stumbling around drunk in the dark.’”

« Refurbished 3G 10GB iPod for $199

UK buyers find auctions to buy minis »

Comments

This is perhaps the most exciting new development in the iTMS since it was opened. This is a prime example of the benefit of online music - and Apple is serving to help archive music that would othrewise be lost eventually.

I wonder if they will consider add free music downloads of music that has entered the public domain?

Posted by JS on May 12, 2004 at 8:44 AM (PDT)

“This new effort would be complemented by a “Live and Rare” section of the website where bands could release live recordings from concerts and radio appearances.”

You mean like these?

Posted by Live and Rare on May 12, 2004 at 9:00 AM (PDT)

Posted by Or This on May 12, 2004 at 9:02 AM (PDT)

“This is perhaps the most exciting new development in the iTMS since it was opened.”

I agree.  This would be an amazing feature.  Sure, there’s a lot of live stuff already out there, but it’s mostly from bands that allow audience taping.  While its fun to listen to these, the quality usually sucks.  Plus, there are always shows and studio material that bootlegers don’t have.  Imagine the quality and quantity of great stuff some of these record companies are sitting on.  It would be great to have access to this stuff.

Posted by drewmcd24 on May 12, 2004 at 10:22 AM (PDT)

Morrissey B-sides and Smiths concerts. Guaranteed sellers.

Posted by palexc on May 12, 2004 at 11:28 AM (PDT)

Many “rare” and “out of print” would be on old 76’s and such. Try converted a scratched up vinyl to 128 AAC, and charging $.99.

Posted by stasyna on May 12, 2004 at 12:28 PM (PDT)

“Many “rare” and “out of print” would be on old 76’s and such. Try converted a scratched up vinyl to 128 AAC, and charging $.99”

I don’t think they’ll be converting anything from old scratched up records.  This isn’t your grandparents basement we’re talking about.  I’m sure the record companies have the original master tapes for lots of rare and out of print stuff.  I don’t think people realize how much music there is out there that has never seen the light of day (or hasn’t in quite a while).

Posted by drewmcd24 on May 12, 2004 at 12:39 PM (PDT)

God I miss the old AudioGalaxy - that was the best service ever for rare and out-of-print recordings. And it had collaborative filtering and primo playlists years before iTMS.

Pity the RIAA stomped them into dust.

Posted by AudioGalaxy on May 12, 2004 at 12:41 PM (PDT)

AudioGalaxy is actually still alive today, but definately not their “satellite” download service that you’re probably talking about. Rhapsody is lame, but it is what the Austin, TX based startup AudioGalaxy has become after being threatened by the RIAA.

Posted by Sraphim on May 12, 2004 at 3:53 PM (PDT)

It would be good if iTunes did get those rare and hard to find songs.  I’ve already found a lot of the ones I was looking for.  I just wonder how long it will take them to accomplish this?  I need to know before I go and purchase all this equipment to transfer albums to my computer.

Rhapsody has one very good feature and that’s the fact that you can listen to the whole song instead of 30 seconds plus the fact that I was able to find a lot of oldies.  And they also have current artist
cd’s I was looking for.  So I guess it depends if they have the artist you like to listen to.

Posted by iPodite on May 12, 2004 at 4:26 PM (PDT)

Posted by iPodite on May 12, 2004 at 4:26 PM (PDT)

When I read this it makes me see why Jobs is more concentrated on the music only right now than with the possibility of a video/photo capable Ipod.

I think having access to all of this music would be amazing.  Really, really amazing.

I just wish that it was available in more than just AAC format.  I don’t like the idea of being tied into just one format.  That’s never appealed to me.  Especially a format that’s not widely supported.

Time will tell what will happen in terms of the value of this format.  But the idea of having access to something like an exhaustive library of music is awesome indeed.

Posted by Z on May 13, 2004 at 1:30 AM (PDT)

I have a question for JS. Isn’t music protected under copyright for as long as the written word? If it is, how much recorded music would fall within the “public domain?”

Posted by Oxhead on May 13, 2004 at 5:45 AM (PDT)

Many places have the masters?

I was referring to the forgotten but ever so influential BLUES genre.

you cant even argue that Robert Johnson has “master tapes”.

That’s the music that is out of print and half #### sources.

Posted by Stasyna on May 13, 2004 at 11:20 AM (PDT)

I would love it if they worked on getting more dance music content on i-Tunes.And I’m not just talking about the commercial stuff,either.  A lot of this stuff has had a huge influence on what’s going on now.  It would also be cool if they factored in a lot of the indie stuff and, what the hey,imports,as well.

Posted by M. on May 17, 2004 at 8:33 PM (PDT)