Apple posts iTunes Store Best of 2006 charts | iLounge News

Apple posts iTunes Store Best of 2006 charts

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, December 12, 2006
News Categories: iTunes

image

Apple has posted its 2006 year-end iTunes charts, revealing the 100 most downloaded albums and songs on the iTunes Store in the U.S. The No. 1 album for the year on iTunes was The Fray’s “How To Save A Life,” while Daniel Powter’s “Bad Day” was the top track of the year. Below are the 10 most downloaded albums and tracks in the U.S. on iTunes for 2006. Apple said that iTunes top 100 download charts are also being released for all 20 countries where iTunes has had a store for a year or more.

Top 10 Albums

1. Daniel Powter - Bad Day
2. Nelly Furtado - Promiscuous
3. James Blunt - You’re Beautiful
4. Gnarls Barkley - Crazy
5. Sean Paul - Temperature
6. Justin Timberlake - Sexyback
7. The Fray- Over My Head (Cable Car)
8. Shakira - Hips Don’t Lie
9. Natasha Bedingfield - Unwritten
10. Chamillionaire - Ridin’

« Cambridge SoundWorks intros PlayDock iPod speaker system

Matias debuts Color Armor case for 2G iPod nano »

Comments

I own only three of those Top 100 albums.  I swear you people have no taste! wink

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on December 12, 2006 at 12:48 PM (PDT)

Hmmm…. Almost no rock, and no metal. Why am I not surprised?

(And since when was this place like Blabbermouth?!)

Posted by rockbox on December 12, 2006 at 1:08 PM (PDT)

Wow.  I’ve only heard three of the tracks, and certainly own none of the albums.

Posted by Skwid on December 12, 2006 at 2:31 PM (PDT)

I wish they’d sell stuff like Evermore’s newest ‘Real Life’ CD in America.. i think the majority of the people that buy on iTunes in the USA are kids… I see little taste in that list.

Posted by brad j on December 12, 2006 at 2:54 PM (PDT)

Wow…have you guys been living in a cave?
I’ve certainly heard of all of them, and I have copies of 8 put of the 10 albums on my iPod.

Posted by Toby on December 12, 2006 at 4:19 PM (PDT)

Hooray for Mainstream!
Of course the GOOD bands aren’t going to show up there.

People buy songs like Sexyback just cause everyone says “OMGZ BEST SOMG EVERY!!11!!!1” and so other people say “Guess I have to buy it too!!!”

If a band can’t record an album without AutoTune, they arent a band.

Posted by Crazydog on December 12, 2006 at 4:51 PM (PDT)

I have Albums 2&3, I have not heard any of the singles, but have heard of the ‘acts’ that did 4 of them.  Of course since I watched the Beatles when they were on Ed Sullivan I may have an excuse.  I just learned, much to my surprise, last night on TV that Justin Timberlake is a “Superstar”.  I guess at 50 I’m out of the freakin loop, but then again I never watched the Grammy’s either.  My last itunes download was the itunes essentials of The Black Keys Friday night.  BTW I heard Uncle Joe Benson on KLOS fm this morning plug New Music Tuesdays on itunes.  Talk about things going full circle!  I used to listen to the radio to hear new music.  Tom Petty was right about the last DJ, it really was Jim Ladd.  What I wish for is another NeilJam album.

Posted by Elcoholic in So Cal on December 12, 2006 at 5:26 PM (PDT)

I own all of these “top 10 songs” with the exception of the Fray, god I hate that band. (no offense) The lead singer sounds like my drunk uncle Bob trying to sing. Whoever voted that album number one of 2006 has no taste.

Posted by The Soup Nazi on December 12, 2006 at 6:52 PM (PDT)

none of these artists are very good. “bad day” is just a guy whining and saying “bad day” about thirty times over. like we need to be reminded about our bad day.

further proof that all taste in music has left the building.

excuse me while i put on abbey road.

Posted by mrmojorisingi on December 12, 2006 at 7:35 PM (PDT)

Oh wow, why can’t you guys just accept that people have their own taste in music.

Just because its on this list doesn’t mean its bad.. Sexyback is a GREAT pop song, Lots of people like pop so it’s bound to show up.

Mainstream music is exellent, just because all the mainstream music you’ve heard is crap is no reason to judge all of it.

Posted by Kit on December 12, 2006 at 8:04 PM (PDT)

You guys can’t just go around saying people who buy from iTunes have no taste.  We all have our own taste in music, like Kit said.  If iTunes posted a list of the top songs in you so-called “tasteful” music collection, some kids would probably say that you have no taste in music.

Posted by Davy D on December 12, 2006 at 9:37 PM (PDT)

Elcoholic, don’t feel bad… I love the Black Keys and I’m only 16.  And I agree with other people in this thread; this isn’t that great a list.  I own one of the albums and 2 of the songs.  Ugh.

Posted by manders4000 on December 12, 2006 at 9:59 PM (PDT)

What do you expect from the bandwagon that people are riding nowadays. Just because something’s on primetime tv doesn’t mean everyone is into it, the same goes for music. The radio stations are forced to play these songs which in turn makes you want them requested. MAINSTREAM BITES but we all fall victim to it sooner or later, and I must admit some of the songs are OK but I wouldn’t be caught listening to them 24/7

Posted by AZ on December 12, 2006 at 11:42 PM (PDT)

hey I’m 21 and i think i have a wide taste in music. in my ipod, i have everything from rock, pop, jazz, broadway, and classical, with music ranging from the 1950s to the present. i too also listen to some of those songs/albums in that list, not because everybody else listens to them, but because i actually like them. a lot of times i just look for good melody, sometimes, mood. sometimes i end up liking a song i originally dont like. music is subjective. people look for different things and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Posted by superspiffy on December 13, 2006 at 1:27 AM (PDT)

Nothing has really changed, there’s always been what sells and what’s good.  Sometimes both happen and it’s amazing.  Take Dark Side of the Moon.  It was on the Billboard charts so long, 8 years I think, they changed the rules to get it off.  Sometimes the commercial camp makes a token gesture to legitimize themselves as serious appreciators of art and the results can be hilarious.  Jethro Tull got a Grammy one year for best Heavy Metal band.  Having probably never listened to anything but the Aqualung single, the Grammy people really blew it.  There was widespread outrage - Jethro Tull was not a Heavy Metal band.  Ian Anderson couldn’t have cared less, but true to his sense of humor he took out a half-page in the LA Times that said “The flute is a heavy, metal instrument”.

Posted by Elcoholic in So Cal on December 13, 2006 at 9:05 AM (PDT)

Continuum is actually a very good album, as is St. Elsewhere.  And, Sing-a-Longs and Lullabies for the Film Curious George is a very strong and fun kid oriented soundtrack that can actually be enjoyed by adults.

Posted by MellowTone41 on December 13, 2006 at 3:48 PM (PDT)

what…no rock!?!?!

Posted by ilikedasun on December 13, 2006 at 5:39 PM (PDT)

Hmmmm, how can Bad Day be the #1 song when Hips Don’t Lie sold close to a bajillion copies in it’s first week, let alone in the 6+ months it’s been available for purchase.

Posted by Rene on December 14, 2006 at 10:30 PM (PDT)

superspiffy u need rap

Posted by ddaw735 on December 23, 2006 at 10:26 PM (PDT)