Apple posts MobileMe to iCloud FAQ | iLounge News

Apple posts MobileMe to iCloud FAQ

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, June 24, 2011
News Categories: Apple, iCloud

image

Apple has posted a new frequently asked questions (FAQ) article regarding the transition from MobileMe to iCloud. The document confirms that users will be able to access iCloud Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and Find My iPhone via the web at icloud.com after the service launches this fall. It also states that users will be able to keep their current .me or .mac email addresses, and move their MobileMe mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks to the new service, with further details to come once the iCloud service comes online. iWeb publishing, MobileMe Gallery, and iDisk services will not be available in iCloud, according to the FAQ; those services will be available until the June 30, 2012 MobileMe shutdown date.

« High AirPlay, Thunderbolt costs limiting iOS options?

G5 Entertainment releases Treasure Seekers 3 »

Comments

Darn! No account merging…

Posted by Korpil on June 24, 2011 at 1:25 PM (PDT)

No iDisk, looks like I need to start planning and find alternative.

Posted by Cyberman in nr Heathrow, London on June 24, 2011 at 1:48 PM (PDT)

In essence, isn’t iCloud itself a replacement for iDisk? It will be a web-based repository for many kinds of data. So I am not shocked that iDisk will cease to exist.

I am, however, fairly upset that iWeb is being given the cold shoulder. I am not a web designer. I find iWeb rather simple to use and a nice tool for building basic webpages. I have two iWeb sites that I will now need to convert to some other format. I was hoping for an iWeb iOS app that allowed me to make quick updates on the go. But now I will get nothing.

Posted by Mitch on June 24, 2011 at 5:18 PM (PDT)

Mitch - iWeb itself can publish to anywhere, not just the MobileMe account.  So you should be able to continue using it and just upload it to somewhere else.  I’ve been doing this for a few years, works great….

Posted by lauren on June 24, 2011 at 10:56 PM (PDT)

Lauren - I knew that iWeb could publish to host sites other than MobileMe, but it has (or had, last I looked into it) limitations. You could not blog, comment on gallery photos or use the “Hit Counter” widget if you published anywhere other than MobileMe. I wanted all of these things, so I stuck with my MobileMe publishing. Has any of this changed in the past 3 years or so? Since Apple has not updated iWeb since iLife ‘09, there is not a lot of useful documentation about it. I would certainly hope that Apple opens it up and removes the restrictions since they are no longer going to offer the option that they require.

Thanks for the post smile

Posted by Mitch on June 25, 2011 at 9:24 AM (PDT)

I need more details on iCloud and iDisk compatability.
The FAQ says there is no iDisk equivalent in iCloud, the document option suitability wil deepen on document types and ability to link to apps like GoodReader.

So for now I am pessimistic, but hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Posted by Cyberman in nr Heathrow, London on June 26, 2011 at 5:51 AM (PDT)

Great, no Web Galleries, either. That was such a great way to share photos without giving them to evil dreaded Facebook.

iCloud is free. You get what you pay for. So I can’t be surprised by all that is lost in the transition from MobileMe.

Posted by Farnsworth on June 27, 2011 at 8:04 AM (PDT)

The MobileMe Gallery was nice, but I can see how it’s been supplanted by the plethora of other photo sharing services out there. Apple has clearly been moving toward simply providing built-in Flickr compatibility in their desktop apps (iPhoto and Aperture), and on the Apple TV, all the while having basically done nothing with the MobileMe Gallery service since its initial launch three years ago.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on June 27, 2011 at 9:57 AM (PDT)