Apple posts Nike+iPod support area | iLounge News

Apple posts Nike+iPod support area

image

Apple has updated its support website with a new section covering the new Nike+iPod Sport Kit and related services. The new Nike+iPod support area offers several support documents, technical specifications and FAQs, including information on wireless capabilities, battery performance, and calibration. The new section also provides troubleshooting tips, a discussion forum, and a helpful video tutorial.

« Mix: Nike+iPod hack, MediaGuardian 100, Amazon, iPod tour

Report: ‘True’ video iPod not coming until 2007 »

Comments

How about a support article on how to use the thing with an ipod video.

I’ve lost a lot of respect for both Apple and Nike as a result of them introducing this thing and not making it compatible with ipods that it should clearly work with (ipod video).

I coulda guessed that Apple would do something like this, but I always had a lot more respect for Nike and am disappointed that they would go along with excluding owners of ipods other than the nano.

This is the most self-centered, greed ridden and exploitative venture I’ve seen in a long while.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on July 16, 2006 at 2:10 PM (CDT)

well, the reason it is only compatible, thus far, with the nano is becuase that is a flash based iPod, and is designed specifically for running, whereas the 5G iPod is hard drive based and they don’t want you running with it, seeing as that will eventually kill the HD.

Posted by brad on July 16, 2006 at 8:51 PM (CDT)

Now you know how I felt when Apple inexplicably introduced the radio remote in white only - almost like they “forgot” that they made the iPod in black too :(

Posted by Me Too on July 16, 2006 at 8:53 PM (CDT)

Brad-

What you say is a logical conclusion, but remember back when there was no flash-based ipod and Apple swore that their hard drive-based ipods were great for working out.

Remember when everyone was jogging with hd-based ipods, much like I still see thousands of people doing.

Remember that the best-selling ipod of all time, the mini, is hd-based and I see a million of those in the gym (I’ve been using one in the gym for two years now without a problem).

What’s the real reason the Nike Sport Kit only works with the nano, and not my ipod video?  I think it’s greed.

This situation strikes right at the core of why I have issues with Apple.  Apple endlessly praises their latest innovation and has no regard for the products or customers of last month.

It really is sad that a company that so many respect would do this to their loyal customers.

This is not a person accusation, Brad, but a lot of people need to wake up and smell that coffee.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on July 17, 2006 at 12:53 AM (CDT)

I had a hard-drive based iPod, and using it while jogging was hit-or-miss at best. It would freeze up at random times, and I would be forced to come to a complete stop and force it to reset. It was very frustrating, and I would only use the iPod for long runs (longer than an hour), where I needed music the most.

I understood the purpose of the 32MB flash memory buffer, but even when I set shorter playlists that should have entirely fit in that buffer (with room to spare), they would still freeze the iPod when I went jogging.

When I wasn’t running, that iPod worked flawlessly.

When the flash-based Shuffle came along, I eagerly bought one, and it solved those problems. I could live without the screen while jogging, and organized specific playlists to load for specific runs.

However, the Nano provided the best of both worlds, and I ordered one as soon as they were announced. In my mind, the iPod Nano is the only iPod to use with this product. (You can still jog with a Shuffle, of course, but the lack of screen makes it impractical for this product.) And I say that with direct experience.

One more point to make—There is a vast difference between “working out” or “going to the gym” and jogging. Working out includes a lot of activities where the iPod is relatively stable—lifting weights, riding an exercise bike, running on a treadmill (where the iPod can rest on the treadmill itself), etc. Even swimming (assuming you have an exceptionally waterproof case), is a fairly stable condition for an iPod.

Jogging is a constant series of up-and-down shocks that can wreak havoc on a hard drive-based music player. Is it possible? Certainly. Is it recommended? No.

Posted by BJ Nemeth on July 17, 2006 at 3:09 AM (CDT)

I completely agree with BJ Nemeth.  And if I may add to that comment, Apple is protecting themselves from being sued for encouraging hd ipod user to run with…Come on now, let’s all give Apple some credit…I supposed there is always something to gripe about.

Posted by Oliver on July 17, 2006 at 7:18 AM (CDT)

This is the worst kind of greed I have ever seen.

Myself and millions of people paid a lot of money for their ipod and they shouldn’t feel left behind and cheated once a new accessory comes around.

You can workout and do jogging with with the Ipod and i’ve done it for years.  Don’t believe the lies they tell you.  I am really sick and tired of Apple fans who would defend Apple no matter what they do.

I think “BJNemeth” believes steve job is god.  He bought an ipod to workout but it doesn’t work well, he tells himself it’s no big deal “i’ll buy the shuffle”, after buying the shuffle steve job tells him you really need a nano and he tells himself “i’ll buy the nano”.

Posted by MikeT98 on July 17, 2006 at 7:40 AM (CDT)

BJ-

Come on man, you can’t be serious.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on July 17, 2006 at 3:00 PM (CDT)

MikeT98, you are right there’s too many apple fanboys here.  I was going to say the same thing.  They believe steve job is their best friend and don’t see it as a filthy greedy company.  It makes me sick.

Posted by CTasoe on July 17, 2006 at 3:01 PM (CDT)

Oliver-

Are you gonna jump off a cliff if BJ tells you to?  I know you’ll do it if Steve Jobs tells you to, but your wholehearted endorsement of BJ’s propaganda makes me wonder about you.

I get really tired of people putting the well being of Apple ahead of even themselves.  You say Apple is protecting itself…what about the fact they are jacking you (their customer)?

What about when Apple releases a GPS device for the ipod and limits it to the ipod video because they don’t want users to strain their eyes looking at a map on the smaller nano screen?  Are you gonna feel like Apple is just protecting itself, or are you gonna say it’s a ploy for Apple to get people to pony up for a larger ipod?  Should the nano owners be mad when this happens, or should they take it with a smile?

Oliver, learn your history, buddy.  Look at how actions like this are a pattern for Apple.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on July 17, 2006 at 3:12 PM (CDT)

MikeT98 & CTasoe-

Exactly what I’m talking about.  Some people need to open their eyes around here.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on July 17, 2006 at 3:14 PM (CDT)

I find it interesting that someone using a pseudonym is calling me “BJNemeth” in quotes. It’s my real name. Feel free to call me BJ.

“This is the worst kind of greed I have ever seen.” You’ve never seen anything more greedy than Apple charging $29 for an innovative product? I understand the nature of hyperbole, but that’s a little extreme, don’t you think?

I made a reasoned argument supported with facts and experience, and Oliver agreed with me. The only response from the Apple Haters is to say that I blindly follow anything from Steve Jobs, and Oliver blindly follows me. You all must have been captains of your high school debate teams.

Your arguments seem to be based on nothing but a belief that Apple is a malicious company, and anyone who disagrees with you is a “fanboy.” I won’t waste my time trying to convince you otherwise, because it’s a fool’s errand.

(For the record, I don’t know Oliver; I think he just reacted more favorably to the clearly argued facts in my post rather than the paranoid rants in yours.)

I suspect your follow-up arguments will be based on making fun of my name or something equally relevant.

——————
[alternate sarcastic response]

Talking Madness -

I wasn’t serious in my original post—I was only kidding! Of COURSE Apple is an evil, greedy company. Duh!

Jogging is actually a very stable activity, comparable to driving a car on a highway in a straight line at a steady speed. No problems there!

But that doesn’t even matter, because hard drive-based music players are just as shock resistant as flash-based music players. That motion-sensor technology Apple uses in their laptops to protect hard drives from sudden shocks? Just marketing mumbo-jumbo.

If anybody claims otherwise, it must be Steve Jobs in disguise, in his evil plot to take over the world and put an Apple logo on the moon.

Posted by BJ Nemeth on July 18, 2006 at 1:31 AM (CDT)

BJ-

The greed is not the $29 for the Sport Kit…but the fact that Apple has rendered the ipod video obsolete in what I believe is an attempt to get people to buy another ipod if they wanna use the newest “innovation” from Apple.

Innovation is of course in quotes because the “innovation” is not something the ipod video is incapable of doing…just something Apple has decided they don’t wanna support.

Your experience with jogging/running with your ipod is definitely the exception.  I have had no problem running with my hd-based ipod.  And even if the music skipped occasionally, that’s beside the point of whether the Sport Kit will/should work with the hd-based ipods.  It’s also contrary to the fact that Apple for years claimed the hd-based ipods were great for rigorous activities.

Yes, I am hating on Apple, because I see it’s long history of turning its back on its customers.  And remember, were not talking about trying to use the Sport Kit with an ipod that was bought four years ago, or with the simplistic Shuffle, we’re talking about whether or not the Sport Kit should work with the most expensive, flagship ipod, the ipod video.

Thanks for the genuine debate, but your attempt at sarcasm failed to elicit laughter.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on July 18, 2006 at 2:01 AM (CDT)

My Apple DSL sees my DSL router and gives a message connected.  However I cannot get on the Internet with Safari.  My DSL router is connected with my other computers only my Apple cannot connect???

Posted by Dan on March 5, 2008 at 12:50 PM (CST)