Apple posts ‘Pods Unite’ video | iLounge News

Apple posts ‘Pods Unite’ video

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Friday, July 18, 2003
News Categories: iPod

Apple has posted a new web page featuring the new VW Beetle/iPod promotion, “Pods Unite” along with the television ad showcasing the new duo. The iPod deal will only last through the summer so Apple says, “get in touch with your Volkswagen dealer pronto.”

“It was inevitable, really. When two groups of people have so much in common, eventually they find each other. Volkswagen and Apple. Buy a New Beetle. Get a new iPod. And the kit that brings them together (plus a lot of other cool stuff like free music and a $100 Apple Store coupon).”

« Macworld UK: iTunes ‘will become Net-songs king’

iPod 10GB for $299 + $50 Amazon.com credit »

Comments

this commercial is 100x better then that dumb g5 commercial

Posted by justin on July 18, 2003 at 7:32 AM (PDT)

Is the Ipod holder all that impressive to you?  Not to me for this reason only:

It still has to use a Tape adapter????  Why couldn’t a line-in be made available directly to the stereo.  To me, the cassette adapter creates some clutter that is definitely not Apple-like…

Posted by Jason on July 18, 2003 at 7:39 AM (PDT)

This has got to be one of the dumbest marketing campaigns ever.  You’re basically paying extra money for a cassette adapter.  To me, the Itrip is a much better accessory, and takes out the hassle of buying a new car in order play your ipod through your car stereo.  Would it really have been that hard to make a stereo that integrates the ipods functions?  I mean, if Mac and VW are working together, why not make it so that you can load your ipod in a dock, and control it through the cars stereo.  THEN it might be worth it to pay 20 grand for an ipod accessory…...YEAH!

Posted by Elliott on July 18, 2003 at 8:22 AM (PDT)

buying VW new beetle with that crappy thing??
the ipod doesnt even comes with New beetle….
Sad . :(

Posted by 15GB iPod on July 18, 2003 at 9:21 AM (PDT)

Horrible!

apple has struck out.

Posted by haha on July 18, 2003 at 11:01 AM (PDT)

does anyone know what kind of cradle the beatle uses for the ipod? that’s all i care about, cuz i got a jetta and the ones i’ve used in the past are so unpractical because the gear shift is in the way of the cigerrette outlet. anyhelp would be usefull. thanks. evan.

Posted by Evan on July 18, 2003 at 2:21 PM (PDT)

Got this yesterday:

“Thank you for your inquiry with Belkin. The good news is Belkin will be releasing this product for general use and will be model # F8E467, the bad news is it will not be available until late September. I would encourage you to check back with us at that time. If you have any further questions, please let us know. Thanks again for your inquiry, have a great day.”

Posted by Andrew on July 19, 2003 at 3:11 AM (PDT)

what a step backwards ... my 1994 Golf had a “direct input” in fact that was one of the reasons I bought the car!  I used to play my DiscMan all the time with a direct connection, it sounded fabulous ... so why have car manufacturers NOT been on the ball with even providing MP3 enabled CD-players (at least a couple year old technology by now) and NO direct input?  Arghhhhhhhhh!!!

Posted by asdfadsf on July 19, 2003 at 5:18 PM (PDT)

To Evan:

The cradle is designed for the cupholder in the beetle (which might be the same as the Jetta cupholder - I don’t know).  The cup part snaps right in to the cupholder and the cradle is on a sort of swiveling post thing lifting up from the center (Highly technical talk, I know).  Basically, the ipod is suspended directly above the cupholder, and the cradle is designed for the new iPods, with a cutout in the bottom for a power supply.

I got my beetle last Tuesday, and the ipod & accessories arrived via UPS ground yesterday; I was impressed with how fast it arrived even though I had not known of the deal when I bought the car.

Posted by Chris on July 23, 2003 at 5:23 AM (PDT)

Horrible. HORRIBLE!

What the hell was that?

IPOD - $300-$500
###### Plastic Cupholder cradle - aeound two bucks
Cassete adapter - around 5 bucks at wal*mart
Stupid lighter plug-in jack… thing - 15 bucks
sticker - pennies

The VW Beetle is really… ugly. It always has been, always will be. The thing screams dumbass from a mile away.

Posted by Skrittles on July 24, 2003 at 6:18 PM (PDT)