Apple posts video of iPhone 4 event, antenna info pages | iLounge News

Apple posts video of iPhone 4 event, antenna info pages

Apple has posted a QuickTime video stream of its iPhone 4 press conference on its website. During the roughly hour-long event, Apple CEO Steve Jobs gave a presentation explaining Apple’s view of the antenna issues, and promised free cases to all current iPhone 4 users and all those who will purchase the device by September 30. Notably missing from the video stream is the question and answer session held directly following the presentation, a brief overview of which can be found here. In addition, the company has posted a pair of new webpages examining smartphone antenna performance and comparing that of the iPhone 4 to the BlackBerry Bold, HTC Droid Eris, Samsung Omnia II, and iPhone 3GS, and highlighting the company’s antenna design and testing labs.

« Enter the V-Moda Crossfade LP Giveaway today

iOS 4.1 poll ends, iPhone 4 response poll begins »

Comments

Here’s a $2 case, now run along…..........Apple is still dodging the issue. They still have no answers.

Posted by Robert on July 16, 2010 at 1:52 PM (PDT)

Ouch. Zing. Somehow through it all, Apple is going to come out of this smelling like roses.  I’m sure they must be breaking some sort of unwritten industry code by revealing the antenna weakspots of their competitors.  They have very smoothly pointed out that even though theirs is not the only phone with this problem - they are the only ones providing a free solution.  What started out looking like finally a chink in Apple’s armor, has been skillfully filled and buffed, leaving Apple looking as indestructible as ever…  Fanboys rejoice.

Posted by tommy on July 16, 2010 at 2:30 PM (PDT)

I find it funny they did not include a Nokia phone when comparing other smartphones. I guess that video they released about holding their phones any way was true.

Posted by Oscar M. on July 16, 2010 at 2:32 PM (PDT)

Well, can’t post this with the links but there is video on youtube of a Nokia e71 loosing all signal being held pretty normally. That’s with a microcell in the house.

And published pages from Nokia’s own user manuals advise against covering the bottom of the phones with your hand.

So… Nokia’s not exactly immune. Youtube video is called nokia e71 reception problems and funsizebites publishes pix for the nokia 2320 manual.

Posted by Jason R. on July 16, 2010 at 4:12 PM (PDT)

m not experiencing any drop calls or bad reception in my area, I dont think its the phone antena, I think its the the bad reception that u get in some places like for example SF. I was talking with a AT&T rep and he said that they changed their data plan to free congestion! why do they blamed it on Apple!?  ‎“0.55 percent of iPhone 4 users had called Apple to complain about reception problems” only 0.55% are u kidding me ppl, stop complaining there is nothing wrong with the phone!  I bet they live in areas where the AT&T towers do not provide an strong signal

Posted by hanseljr on July 16, 2010 at 4:21 PM (PDT)

Hell, my Blackberry Curve loses a little signal if I hold it like I would an iPhone 4. I DON’T hold it like that because its lighter and has a different form factor, but still…

It affects all cell phones, and the iPhone 4 just got the bad press thanks to a combo of this issue and AT&T’s network looking better than it should thanks to the miscalculation of signal strengths in the iPhones. That’s all.

Posted by Daniel S. on July 16, 2010 at 7:21 PM (PDT)

I can’t replicate the issue and I am really trying to do the best I can to loose it’s signal.  it just won’t do it on my iPhone 4.  I wonder if our body temperature heat or electronic discharge may have something to do with the grip of death issue. Or maybe some people aren’t meant to use the iPhone 4 at all, so take it back if you have issue with it.  Problem solved!

Posted by Oliver on July 16, 2010 at 8:39 PM (PDT)

I have to say that apple has a point here. I also believe that apple is really trying to be here for the customer… on the other hand, we all have to admit that the iphone became the center point and every little thing is treated by media like apple done it on purpose.

once i’ve seen the demonstration of other smart phones dropping their signal bars, i wonder why no other media pointed that fact out. if a media put all their attention in the iphone4, then why not in their competitor????... like i said, the iphone is unique, and like everything that is unique, the center of attention to point out all the negatives are in this case withe this product.

i like that apple gives the customer the choice of free cases, including 3rd party ones ...and u can bring it even back for a full refund…. that shows that it is important to apple to keep customers satisfied

Posted by dennis on July 17, 2010 at 4:24 AM (PDT)

I’m sorry, but looking at the ‘how-to-hold-your-smartphone-guide’, Apple is basically telling everyone to hold their phone like some aged aunty drinking tea from a delicate china cup - do keep that pinky raised!

Hurrah for Blue Tooth…....

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on July 17, 2010 at 7:08 AM (PDT)

Why does Steve always look like the kid that wore the same outfit to school day after day?

Posted by Paul Atkinson on July 17, 2010 at 12:24 PM (PDT)

My iPhone 4 works awesome no issues even when i make the signal drop by touching the “sweet spot” but no drop calls or data!!!
S.J did awesome by stating and showing facts and I want my tour of Apple!  That place looks so cool.

Posted by rsocal on July 17, 2010 at 8:46 PM (PDT)

To those trying to throw blame to AT&T or point to the fact that other phones have antenna/reception issues: You are missing the bigger point in all of this. The fact that the iPhone had a flaw of some kind is not a deal breaker for 99.9% of the potential customers. As has been stated many times, MANY phones have issues in certain areas and with certain hand positions. The bigger problem was the way Apple initially tried to manage this issue. They denied that it was happening. They placed the blame on the user (see Steve Jobs’ ridiculous email response). They told their tech support folks to deny that the problem existed and to NOT give a bumper away under any circumstance.

Had Apple come right out and said “we have been alerted to an issue with the iPhone 4 antenna and some isolated reception problems and we are looking into it” this would have been a blip on the radar. Most of the bad press was related to the denial and poor response. Not so much the actual problem. And I say all this as a real Apple lover. I love their products. I love my iPhone 4. It has been great so far. But I have had a case on it since day one.

Posted by Mitch on July 18, 2010 at 9:24 AM (PDT)

I wonder if Consumer Reports will start checking this antenna issue on every new phone and revisit other phones that they now recommend.

Posted by SteveC on July 18, 2010 at 4:52 PM (PDT)

Steve can try and throw the other cell phone manufactures under the bus the reality is the iPhone has problems. I was listening to a tech reporter state that he had a 3Gs iPhone and another handset on AT&T (sorry don’t remember the manufacturer) and the iPhone had no service while the other handset worked without a problem. So maybe AT&T isn’t to blame for all the problems.

BTW, I have a BB Storm 2 on Verizon and the only time I have dropped calls is when talking to someone on an iPhone.

Posted by Dunkin on July 18, 2010 at 7:03 PM (PDT)

I am not trying to throw other phones under the bus.  I just wonder if they will add the left handed hold to their future and past reviews.  Had this “problem” not been in the media, consumer reports would not have even thought to test for it.  They should be scrutinizing all phones the same so people can compare them and decide what to buy.

I have yet to drop a call with my iPhone 4…  Dunkin, why spend your valuable time posting on an iPhone forum if you own a Blackberry?

Posted by SteveC on July 18, 2010 at 8:06 PM (PDT)

LOL…sorry…I was talking about Steve Jobs

If Consumer Reports is going to test cell phones they need to be real world tests like how does the phone functions in low signal strength locations.

Ultimately it doesn’t matter if the signal strength meter drops a bar or two when you put your hand around the phone as long as the phone can make and receive calls. I had an LG Dare and it would drop calls when I was in a grocery store that I frequent. My Storm 2 doesn’t have that problem.

Posted by Dunkin on July 18, 2010 at 9:15 PM (PDT)

sorry about the last double post…

SteveC, This isn’t an iPhone forum…this is the comment section of an article on an iPod/iPhone website that started out as just an iPod website…check out the logo at the top of the page…that’s a iPod in the chaise…not an iPhone.

I’m on Verizon so an iPhone isn’t an option. I used to think that I would get an iPhone when/if it came to Vzw but I’m not so sure. I have friends with iPhones and most of them are not happy with the iPhone as a phone.

I’m glad that you don’t have any problems. Unfortunately that not the case for a lot of people.

Posted by Dunkin on July 18, 2010 at 9:40 PM (PDT)

Correction Dunkin;

Unfortunately that’s not the case for a small amount of vocal people, assuming you do believe the statistical information Jobs provided in the press conference…

Posted by Ron R on July 20, 2010 at 2:36 PM (PDT)