Apple PR: Apple announces new iPod | iLounge News

Apple PR: Apple announces new iPod

picApple today introduced the new iPod, the fourth generation of the world’s number one portable digital music player, featuring Apple’s patent pending Click Wheel, which combines the smooth and continuous scrolling of a touch-sensitive wheel with five push buttons for superior one handed navigation. The new iPod also features up to 12 hours battery life and Shuffle Songs, a new command in the main menu which gives users instant access to one of the most exciting new ways to listen to their music library. All iPods work effortlessly with Apple’s iTunes, providing music fans with the best digital jukebox on either a Mac or Windows computer and access to the iTunes Music Store, the number one digital music service in the world. The new iPod is available immediately in a 20GB model for $299 and a 40GB model for $399.

“The best digital music player just got better,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “The fourth generation iPod features Apple’s amazing Click Wheel for superb one handed control, 12 hour battery life and the new Shuffle Songs command in the main menu—all in an even smaller design that puts up to 10,000 songs in your pocket.”

“HP has chosen iPod and iTunes as the best products to integrate in to our digital entertainment strategy,” said Carly Fiorina, chairman and chief executive officer at HP. “We decided to wait for this amazing new fourth generation iPod, as it will offer our customers an even better experience. HP’s version of the new iPod will be available in September.”

iPod features Apple’s patent pending Auto-Sync technology that automatically downloads an entire digital music library onto iPod and keeps it up-to-date whenever it is plugged into a Mac or Windows computer using FireWire or USB. Users can transfer two songs per second from their Mac or Windows computer and can now conveniently charge iPod with either the included FireWire or USB cable.*

Pricing & Availability
The new 20GB and 40GB iPods are available immediately for a suggested retail price of just $299 (US) for the 20GB iPod and $399 (US) for the 40GB iPod through the Apple Store (www.apple.com), Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. Both iPods include earbud headphones, 1.2m 30-pin to FireWire cable, a 1.2m 30-pin to USB cable, and a CD with iTunes 4.6 for Mac and Windows computers. The 40GB model also includes an iPod dock.

« UPDATED: Apple’s new iPod: 12h battery, surprises

Free on iTunes: 9/11 Commission Hearings »

Comments

Dang!! My first impressions of the new iPod are wow!  Smaller, cheaper, more features, that’s the perfect electronics upgrade.  I love that the price for a 20gig has dropped (well i bought my 10gig for 300 when it first came out)  My only two concerns are the dock and the color.  I have 2 docks for the 3G ipod and wonder if they’ll work with the new click wheel ipod.  and the whiteness of it seems a little bit different than the old ones.  I like the 3G’s color more than the new one’s.  But i think i might have to make a run to the applestore today and get one anyways * i need a treat!*

Posted by Twinsbb17 on July 19, 2004 at 5:40 AM (PDT)

interesting…

here it says the remote and carrying case are not included:

and here it says they ARE included:

Posted by josh on July 19, 2004 at 5:48 AM (PDT)

how about a 60gig? is that gonna come later?

Posted by sam on July 19, 2004 at 5:52 AM (PDT)

Mmm the price is better. Certainly a contender now for the Rio Karma (price wise).

Now i wonder if i should hold off for the next wave :/

Posted by vanjab on July 19, 2004 at 5:57 AM (PDT)

I wonder if its shipping in Canada yet..

Posted by canada on July 19, 2004 at 5:57 AM (PDT)

I am honestly very confused with the ipod scene today. I have found out that a new, 4th generation ipod is coming out next week, yet at the same time there is a new hp ipod coming out later in the summer. Why? I understand the marketing reasons, but does the current ipod really have that much of a problem w/ windows? I have been looking into buying an ipod for a long time and 1 of my biggest concerns is well, honestly, whether or not i can use unpurchased mp3’s with the device. As an windows user, would you suggest that I purchase a 4th generation ipod or wait for this hpipod? Because of the reason mentioned earlier, I am scared of the things i have read about the hpipod being an “mp3 Killer” and having security built in and I also worry about the itunes program monitoring my usage patterns undesirable to record companies. will the hpipod security measures pose a threat to my activities? Should I take advantage of the 4th generation ipod or wait for the hp model? Please help me with my big decision. I want to know whether to cease the moment of unprotected media or wait until a seasoned mp3 device comes around. I hope you can assist me or at least further educate me in this terribly confusing issue.

Posted by mike on July 19, 2004 at 6:00 AM (PDT)

Re: Josh’s comments… If I read the website correctly we’re losing the dock and carry case but gaining a usb cable. At Apple’s prices that’s a 20 dollar value (usb cable) added minus 80 dollars (Apple’s prices for dock and carry case) for a net price decrease of only 40 dollars vs. the 3rd gen 20 gig. That’s provided you’d like to have those accessories anyway, of course.

Posted by Horgs on July 19, 2004 at 6:03 AM (PDT)

where the hell is crossfading/gapless playback????  and firmware updates are ONLY for this 4thgen, and they do not apply to us old gens??

i feel ignored and forgotten by apple

Posted by StinkieDMB in Pittsburgh, PA on July 19, 2004 at 6:03 AM (PDT)

Apple screws its consumers yet again.  How many people bought an ipod in the knowledge that it was manufactured with planned obsolesence in mind?  Probably not many except for the celeb endorsers, who get free ipods anyway so it doesn’t matter.

There is no reason whatsoever, other than pure greed and over-arching moneylust at the expense of PR, for Apple not to update older ipods with newer features.  But Apple’s so arrogant about their marketing machine, and patronizing about their userbase, they don’t perceive this as a problem.

I do. I want a shuffle songs option on my 3G, and playlist editing ability.  I guess instead of just flashing my perfectly OK hardware with new software, I’ll have to fork out $900 for an ipod.  Good for Apple, but for me?  I don’t see why I should be excited or tolerant of this behavior.

Microsoft treats its customers with less contempt.  It is fine and well to introduce new ipods but the artificially-maintained software feature differences are BS.  That is something only a monopoly can get away with.  For the sake of Apple I hope they get a decent competitor soon.  I have seen arrogant monopolies shoot themselves in the foot before, and they were also named Apple.

Posted by Ralph on July 19, 2004 at 6:05 AM (PDT)

**New for Click Wheel iPods**
Shuffle songs with one click
Create multiple On-The-Go playlists
Delete songs from On-The-Go playlists
Select reading playback speed for audiobooks
Hear the clicker user interface sound through headphones
Charge via USB 2.0 connection
Enjoy improved playback performance

**Updates for iPod with a Dock connector and iPod mini **
Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 or later and the iTunes Music Store
Improved playback performance
Support for the Apple Lossless Encoder, to enable compressed music encoding at high quality

**Updates for iPod without a Dock connector**
Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 or later and the iTunes Music Store
Improved playback performance

Just what does “improved playback performance” mean? Does that mean a 12 hour battery for the 3G ipods?

Posted by dmeineck on July 19, 2004 at 6:07 AM (PDT)

I don’t like the design of the 4G iPod.  While I like the look of the clickwheel on the iPod mini, I don’t think it fits the iPod.  Maybe if the 4G iPod didn’t have rounded edges…

I think I also prefer my touchwheel + seperate buttons (Although granted, I’ve never tried the clickwheel).  I would probably accidentally find myself clicking when I mean to be scrolling.

I don’t feel there are enough new features to warrant me upgrading either.  I was hoping for maybe two headphone jacks (I know there are splitters, but it would be nice to have it on the iPod itself), and maybe a Wifi card built in to broadcast to the AirPort Express.

Sorry Apple, I’m sticking with my 3G for now.

These are just my personal opinions.  For everyone who decides to get a 4G iPod, enjoy! smile  I’m sure it will rock.

Posted by Xenoxide on July 19, 2004 at 6:09 AM (PDT)

60 gigs would be nice (everything I have is 192kbps or higher in mp3).

What about the 3G’s apple has left over? Another contest/giveaway?!?!

Posted by nothinglower on July 19, 2004 at 6:09 AM (PDT)

While I understand the reason behind NOT making all the new software features available to older iPod owners, I am still disappointed today. I just bought not one, but two 3rd Gen. 15 GB models early June. I don’t think the hardware is different enough on the 4th gen. to justify not making at least SOME of the features available through a software update.

I know this happened when the 3rd Gen. became available, but if you recall, there was a TOTALLY redesigned enclosure and hardware that came along with the 3rd Gen. Apart from the wheel, the difference does not seem to be as big this time. But then again, how would I know what’s “under the hood” when there’s no latch to pop it opened?

At least, I still feel good about my iPods since the improvements with 3rd gen. were more groundbreaking. Voice recording, for example. On-the-go playlist is still there. Battery performance would be nice. but it doesn’t look like Apple is doing anything about those mediocre earphones with this new version, which is a mistake in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents worth…

Posted by PCouture on July 19, 2004 at 6:13 AM (PDT)

This is terrible .. are we going to get an update for the 3G iPod? I thought that this was one of the main advantage of being able to download new software updates .. and now we are just forgotton about .. come on Apple we expected more!

Posted by BelfastSean on July 19, 2004 at 6:18 AM (PDT)

Yeah, I have to agree. Other than the shuffle feature—which I (among MANY people, I’m sure) submitted to Apple as a suggestion in their forums—there’s no discernable reason to upgrade for now. I’ve only ever used the on-the-go playlist feature once, I don’t listen to audiobooks and I guess I’m one of those rare people who don’t have TIME to listen to an ipod for 8+ hours a day, so an extended battery doesn’t matter to me.
Making the jump from my original 1st Gen 5GB to my 3rd Gen 30GB made sense; there’s no real reason to do that this time.  These are nice features for iPod newcomers, but I don’t think they’re anything special for the already converted.

Posted by Dolt on July 19, 2004 at 6:21 AM (PDT)

Posted by Dolt on July 19, 2004 at 6:22 AM (PDT)

What a bunch of babies. Oh, I am FORGOTTEN but Apple. When they come out with an iPod, they aren’t supposed to UPDATE it! What kind of business practice is that?

Seriously, your iPod does exactly what you figured it would the second you bought it. Just because a new one came out doesn’t mean your ipod is a piece of crap.

Posted by narco in Burbank on July 19, 2004 at 6:36 AM (PDT)

I like the touch wheel and the buttons on the 3G.  I’m sure I could get used to the click-wheel, but from playing around with the mini in the store, it is different…

Also, just because there is no software update for 3G today doesn’t mean there will never be another one.  Heck, I’m still on 2.1..

RE: battery improvement…I have found the 7 or so hours I get on my 3g iPod to be sufficient for my use.  I’m glad they are improving the battery life, but it’s not a selling point for me.

RE: Shuffle songs on main menu: I don’t shuffle my music much…  I usually listen to Albums at a time, and don’t skip around too much.  So I really couldn’t care less about the “shuffle song” option on the main menu.  When I do want to shuffle, I find the current method works fine for me.

Overall, it’s not worth it to me to upgrade.  On top of that, I can’t think of a feature that WOULD make it worth it to me to upgrade.  Unlike some people, I don’t need or want a colour screen, Crossfade, or Wi-fi/Bluetooth.  For those that need/want these feature, good for you, but they are wasted on me.

Posted by Cameron on July 19, 2004 at 6:36 AM (PDT)

Other than the price I don’t really see this as much of a step forward. If I didn’t have a 3G I would jump on getting one now. I would imagine that the 15gb and 20gb prices will fall drastically. To me it doesn’t seem that the so called improvements are that great. I know that the shuffle is on the first screen, but it isn’t a new feature is it? In my opinion, it could be just because it is what I am familiar with, but I like the 3g wheel much better than the ipod mini version. The fact that it moves has always seemed like a step in the wrong direction to me. The price seems to me to be the best thing the 4G has going for it. Although crossfading is something I would really like to see on a software update if there is ever another one.

Posted by lcrew35 on July 19, 2004 at 6:37 AM (PDT)

i don’t understand if the upgrade with new features (shuffle ecc…) are also for the 3G…
someone can tell me?

Posted by dede on July 19, 2004 at 6:37 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >