Apple provides further iPod Camera Connector info | iLounge News

Apple provides further iPod Camera Connector info

Apple’s support site briefly hosted documents early Wednesday morning that offered details on using an iPod photo with the company’s new iPod Camera Connector. The support documents, which are no longer available, provided information on photo importing formats, tips on using the USB port on the device and deleting pictures, and linked to a complete list of supported digital cameras (which is still available here).

Apple said that most cameras with USB connectivity can be used with the iPod Camera Connector, and must support either the PTP, Type 4 (Normal), or Mass Storage protocol.

“The iPod Camera Connector’s USB port can only be used to connect supported cameras and media readers. You cannot use it to connect other USB devices such as a keyboard, mouse, hub, or printer,” Apple stated in one document. “The iPod Camera Connector is a low power port and it cannot charge another iPod, iPod mini, or iPod shuffle. While an iPod photo with an attached iPod Camera Connector may recognize another iPod if you connect it, transferring photos from one iPod to another is not supported.”

The iPod Camera Connector, which was announced last month and went on sale Monday, allows users to transfer photos directly from a digital camera or media reader to an iPod photo.

« Mad Catz ships iKit bundles for iPod, iPod mini

Hacker reopens iTunes Music Store back door »

Comments

Does that mean you can connect a media reader to it and chuck in any old memory card and it’ll transfer - a la the belkin one?

Posted by Reesy on March 23, 2005 at 9:27 AM (CST)

Reesy, the story has been updated. The Camera Connector does work with supported media readers.

Posted by Larry Angell on March 23, 2005 at 9:46 AM (CST)

You know this realy blows for those People out there that do not own an iPod Photo. I know I could spend more $£€¥ on a Belkin Media Reader. But a) It’s Bulky b) Eats extra Batteries, and c) Does not support certain Cameras from Olympus / Fuji that would use there Propritory xD Card Format. Becuse it’s bussy in Bed with SD/MMC, Sony MS and Compact Flash Does it even suport both formats?? Type 1 and II????

Talk about a kick to the Teeth…

Posted by Ichijoe in Deutschland on March 23, 2005 at 11:02 AM (CST)

Does anyone know or think it will transfer RAW files, like from a 20D? I don’t need to view them just would like to know it they will be transfered.

Thanks

Posted by Anijake on March 23, 2005 at 11:32 AM (CST)

So you can just plug a usb media card reader into the camera connector instead of using your cameras usb cord??? thats pretty cool. a have a nikon coolpix 3100 & a compact flash media card reader thats fits right in my camera case. I use it to display on pc’s. I’m definately gonna get one of these, now that they’re saying it supports media card readers too.

Posted by Eli Stoughton on March 23, 2005 at 11:51 AM (CST)

Transferring stuff from one iPod to another would’ve been cool.

Posted by iPodNod in London, UK on March 23, 2005 at 12:02 PM (CST)

Well if all this USB ‘Host Chip’ BS is true then it should therorhetcaly be posible. I mean what eles could it be good for… Chances are that it’s only going to (much like the Recording functions), take Linux on the iPod for it to work, but I can’t see why it shouldn’t work. If this thing has to have a dedicated ‘Host’ that for the moment is the iPod Photo…

Posted by Ichijoe in Deutschland on March 23, 2005 at 1:16 PM (CST)

The camera list on the Apple webpage doesn’t mention the Canon EOS 300D aka Digital Rebel, but I did see that Canon have a firmware upgrade that provides better PTP support.

I hope that this connector is in fact compatible—can anyone verify please?

Posted by ErnieII in New Zealand on March 23, 2005 at 3:10 PM (CST)

I hope that this connector is in fact compatible—can anyone verify please?

Posted by ErnieII in New Zealand on March 23, 2005 at 3:10 PM (CST)

My main curiosity is to know if the connetor will work with a regular non-photo ipod. Since the last software patch, my 3G 15GB iPod has a “Import Photos” option I can turn on from the main menu settings area. Anyone know about this?

Posted by daveparker42 in California on March 23, 2005 at 3:54 PM (CST)

i think that option on the 3g is for belkin media reader

Posted by joon on March 23, 2005 at 4:19 PM (CST)

I’m really curious to see the list of card readers that are compatable.  I will be taking at least two digital cameras on my next vacation, and I know at least one of them (the Canon Powershot S230) isn’t compatable.  No word on whether it’ll support the Pentax Optio 750Z, which is my main camera.

But I would be totally thrilled to just bring along my card reader and do it that way.  C’mon Apple, don’t let me down!

Posted by dalton in brooklyn, ny on March 23, 2005 at 4:53 PM (CST)

So this definitely won’t work with non-photo ipods??  I sure hope that isn’t the case.

Posted by AndyD on March 23, 2005 at 8:38 PM (CST)

An even better question, which no one has been able to answer yet, is: What do you need the camera connector for at all? If the firmware update does what it says… couldn’t you just use the Media Reader to load from the cards straight to the iPod Photo, then view them? Will they be copied at full size?

Posted by lancephoto in North Tampa Bay on March 23, 2005 at 10:17 PM (CST)

This will DEFINITELY only work for iPod photo.

Posted by bluejacket in London on March 24, 2005 at 1:29 AM (CST)

If a camera is connected to the iPod this means that the “reading” of the memory card is done by the camera running on its own battery. If there is a media-card-reader it will depend on how the media-card-reader is designed, meaning it might drain the iPod’s battery.

I do have one main complain though: transfer time is depending on the USB-connection of the camera, which e.g. in the case of the Minolta DiMage 7 is only moving at glacier pace. Therefore it might actually be the only practical way to use a media card reader with some cameras.

Posted by stagestar in Germany on March 24, 2005 at 1:33 AM (CST)

Dalton: Are you sure the s230 isn’t compatible? I know it isn’t on apple’s list yet but It supports the PTP protocol so I don’t see why it wouldn’t be.
You have to manually change the transfer type From “normal” to PTP in the camera’s menu.

Posted by Frith on March 24, 2005 at 8:55 AM (CST)

so, I can download my photos from my camera to the ipod using the camera connector. Then can i download the photos from the ipod to any computer or does it have to be the my computer?

Because i can’t transfer my photos from my ipod to any other computer.

Posted by kenoath in san francisco on March 24, 2005 at 11:55 AM (CST)

I am interested in another angle for my iPod Photo. I just received my Sony PSP. It can handle, obviously, video… it came with Spiderman 2. As I read the manual, you can connect it to Mac/PC and convert your movie files and transfer to the PSP. Trouble is, it only supports those files on memory sticks (lame and expensive).

Wouldn’t it be sweet to somehow get a connector of some sort going from the memory stick slot on the PSP, to a 60G iPod Photo. Movies for the PSP resolution/compression comes down to about 2G. That is 20 movies you could have at your disposal for those long airplane trips.

Anyone think that is possible?

Posted by brucevc on March 25, 2005 at 1:28 AM (CST)

has anyone tried it with a Pentax Optio S? i thought i find out more before i order the connector.

perhaps you guys can do a list of all the camera models and media readers that work with the ipod connector? :)

Posted by bola in Malaysia on April 4, 2005 at 1:40 AM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >