Apple re-releases 3 games for new iPods | iLounge News

Apple re-releases 3 games for new iPods

Following the release of the new third-generation iPod nano and iPod classic, Apple today re-released past iPod games Tetris, Ms. Pac-Man, and Sudoku in software versions that are simultaneously compatible with the two new iPod models and the prior fifth-generation iPod. Each of the games remains available for $4.99 from the iTunes Store, with the iPod Games section of the Store now segregated into a portion with nano-compatible games, and those compatible only with the fifth-generation iPod.

image

Fifteen titles, notably including Mahjong, Musica, and Cubis 2, have yet to be converted into cross-compatible versions. iLounge has requested comment from Apple on whether prior buyers of iPod Games will be able to receive versions that work on the new iPods.

« Creative intros Aurvana X-Fi Noise-Canceling Headphones

Apple goes with O2, reveals iPhone UK launch details »

Comments

so we have to rebuy all our games?

Posted by melllvar on September 18, 2007 at 6:25 AM (PDT)

hmmmmm…so if I replace my 5G 30GB video that died this past summer with a classic, and I already purchased Tetris a year or so ago, I’ll have to buy again?

Posted by Peterphan on September 18, 2007 at 6:27 AM (PDT)

Like, WTF? I purchased 5 games 2 years ago, so now Apple is NOW telling me that on top of the purchase of a new iPod classic, I have to repurchase all my GAMES too??!?!

Can someone PLEASE come up with a suitable alternative to the iPod that works on a mac, because I am REALLY getting tired of Apple’s shenanigans…

Posted by ahMEmon on September 18, 2007 at 6:56 AM (PDT)

Correction: we don’t KNOW yet if we’ll have to re-buy the games. iLounge says, in the last sentence, that they’ve asked Apple, who hasn’t responded at time of writing. Just hang on.

Posted by Jeremy Avalon on September 18, 2007 at 7:36 AM (PDT)

I might buy one if I could get my 160 gigger to be detected when I dock it.  D’oh!

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on September 18, 2007 at 9:31 AM (PDT)

well you don’t HAVE to buy a new ipod but you want to so spend an extra $5 on a game! what about the $100 docking media station your going to buy for it or your expensive shure super-dooper ear phones? and your quibbling over the price of the game??

i agree the principle is a little messed but if theres a new os on the new ipods then is it not reasonable to assume that you might not be able to technically play them on it? you wouldn’t try and run photoshop cs2 on os 9 would you?!!

Posted by graphukkd on September 18, 2007 at 10:14 AM (PDT)

I eagerly await Zuma for my new nano. I would definitely re-buy it.
My commute is not the same without it.

Posted by K. Pilkington on September 18, 2007 at 11:00 AM (PDT)

I would have been happy to pay a lesser, “upgrade” price (I didn’t expect a free upgrade) but it doesn’t surprise me. Apple always does this. This should not dissuade anyone from buying a new iPod.

I guess I’ll buy some games again when they become available. The worst thing is I’ll have to start Mahjong from the beginning again, and I only had about 10 layouts to complete.

Posted by Japester on September 18, 2007 at 4:36 PM (PDT)

Peterphan, no you do not have to buy Tetris because it comes included with the iPod classic and iPod nano.

Posted by mattt. on September 18, 2007 at 6:39 PM (PDT)

Tetris isn’t included. You get iQuiz, Klondike and Vortex.

Posted by Japester on September 19, 2007 at 7:46 AM (PDT)